what does fallout 3 have that oblivion dosnt?

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:42 pm

The term nostalgia describes a longing for the past, it's not the past if your still playing it now is it? then how do you explain the folk that never played the orignals until they played FO3 then go the originals and liked it much better?

Also why does it have to be "slugs pace" just because it turns don't mean it has to go as slow as it did in past games. Have you played the Baldur's gate series? Did you know that it used a "turn based" system too? It just left out the "end turn button and played throught the turns in real time. However it used all the D&D turn based mechanics. again your using only one idea of what turn based is and thinking it has to be the same.

I like how you throw this in without any proof, you do know that turn based game still exist and sell in large quantities right?

Yeah i do know alot of games use turn based combat but it turns alot of players cold. I loved it in Final fantasy 7 but every game since i've not really taken to it. It just doesn't excite me. ANd as for having no proof, your right i don't. It's an estiamated guess, no need to get your nickers in a twist. But i'd be willing to bet money that 1st person is a more popular form of comabt in games full stop than turn based. If you think otherwise then prove me wrong. Just look at the amount of blockbuster 1st persons shooters compared to the mediocre rgp drivel they sheepishly churn out.

I've never played Baldurs gate, never will and turn based combat will never compare to the pace of 1st person end of.

Did you not read what i wrote in my last post about nostalgia? I mentioned the people who used to play it have probably had a break from it at somepoint and would have went back to it because of their good memories of it. Wanting to play it again, 'longing for the past'.

As for people who played fallout 3 first then went back and though the first ones were better so what? What does that mean? Some people prefer the 1st game, some don't. I don't even know why it's such a touchy subject.
I bet there's just as many if not more who prefer fallout 3. Let's not forget that us here on the forums are the minority and mainly the hardcoe fans, no-one else can be bothered with these sites so what you read from other people or from polls represents nothing. Nothing accurate atleast.

But we all know you old-skool Fallout fans are the most hardcoe, i mean you have to be right? you like the old ones best, course you are...

When Bethesda releases Fallout 4 and it's turn based instead of the more popular 1st person you can quote this message in [censored] and i'll eat it.

I'm off to bed
CHangohh BOyy

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Fallout 3 has faster leveling, is smaller than oblivion, has body damage (crippling effects), radiation, medicine, no factions, less towns, VATS, gore, less DLC than oblivion, better graphics than oblivion, and Fallout 3 takes place in a entirely different setting than oblivion.

Fallout 3 is not anything like oblivion. The only way to compare them is to say " there both RPGs made by Bethesda".

What you discrible is mostly just "window dressing", for example you can get many of those things with OBSE mods in oblivion. The core gameplay and combat mechanics are the same in both games. It's like saying each of the many versions of Monopoly are totally different from each other but in reality they just have different houses and miniatures.
rheanna bruining

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:28 pm

-no trainers and skills aren't improved by doing

I didn't mind that. I'd often jump from high bridges just to get my Agility up. I'd like to be able to do that in Fallout.

On the modding side of things, and these are the additions that I love:
- Texture Sets
- More head slots than you can shake a large stick at (Head, Hair, Hat, Headband, Glasses, Mask, Mouth Object, Earrings, Nosering, Necklace, Choker..)
- Navmeshes
- Model lists
- Armor Addons
- Better NIF format
- Friggin cube textures
- Better environmental texturing over all, plus you can make your own
- Shader flags <3
- Creatures can have dialogue (Morrowind had this, Oblivion did not)

I'm sure I'll think of more after some sleep..

I preferred Pathgrids. They were so easy, compared to Navmeshes which I still can't get the hang of. Plus I can view pathgrids while playing without my game crashing :hehe:
I also miss being able to enchant weapons and clothing.
I played Oblivion the other day and had to re-map the keys to match Fallout as I was jumping instead of opening something and drawing my weapon instead of going into third person. Amazingly I never once tried to activate VATS. Perhaps because the C key is closer than the V key :P

What does Fallout have that Oblivion doesn't? Children and toilets.
Mari martnez Martinez

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:49 am

According to Pete Hines, "It will be the same sort of role-playing game experience seen in Fallout 3". http://kotaku.com/5219584/new-fallout-announced

Yeah it's going to use the same assests as FO3 but that doesn't mean they will absolutely 100% have the same exact mechanics in it. :P

I've never played Baldurs gate, never will
your loss, I guess it's one of the better RPGs out there.

But we all know you old-skool Fallout fans are the most hardcoe, i mean you have to be right? you like the old ones best, course you are...
whats that supposed to mean? :rolleyes:
!beef

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:01 pm

Actually, Baldur's Gate wasn't really turn-based. You could either attack in real time or pause, queue up all your party member attacks and then unpause and let everything happen... but the enemies definitely did not wait for you to do whatever you wanted to do. :P
JeSsy ArEllano

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:52 am

It actually was, you had the option to auto-pause at the start of every turn if you liked. What it did was just continuously play through the turns, in essance it was "faking RT". IE say your character has 2 attacks listed. What the game would to is make your two attacks and deal damage to the enemies if you hit, then would play the attack animations to "fake it" until your turn came up again. You can easily notice the "turns" if you play or use Magic alot. You caster will stand around and do nothing if yo utry to cast two spell in a row before your next "turn" come up.

The RTwP was a coverup for the actually D&D turn mechanics behind the scenes. ;)
Sophie Miller

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:11 am

Yeah it's going to use the same assests as FO3 but that doesn't mean they will absolutely 100% have the same exact mechanics in it. :P

"The same sort of role-playing experience" does not mean "will be using the same assets". It means IT WILL BE LIKE FALLOUT 3. They are using the same engine, the same gameplay style. The fact that you don't like it is not going to change it.

I don't doubt that things will be tweaked here and there, but you can bet dollars to donuts that they are not going to make it a turn based game. You're being petty with your arguments here, and are demonstrating a severe unwillingness to look at the reality of the situation, which happens to be that Fallout has changed.
K J S

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:07 pm

Fallout has the amazingly awesome ruins of D.C. and the fighting isn't just Hack n' smash.
Richard Thompson

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:28 am

"The same sort of role-playing experience" does not mean "will be using the same assets". It means IT WILL BE LIKE FALLOUT 3. They are using the same engine, the same gameplay style. The fact that you don't like it is not going to change it.

I don't doubt that things will be tweaked here and there, but you can bet dollars to donuts that they are not going to make it a turn based game. You're being petty with your arguments here, and are demonstrating a severe unwillingness to look at the reality of the situation, which happens to be that Fallout has changed.

I never said anything about it being turn based....you put those words into my mouth. I just said you can't say it will be 100% just like FO3 mechanics for the sole reason that your not on the obsidian dev team so can't know that information. Also no need to get all snippity....
joannARRGH

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:44 pm

I never said anything about it being turn based....I just said you can't say it will be 100% just like FO3 for the sole reason that your not on the obsidian dev team so can't know that information.

And this is what I meant by you being petty. Consider what was being discussed, and consider what I meant. Context is key, my friend.
Austin Suggs

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:43 pm

Fallout has the amazingly awesome ruins of D.C. and the fighting isn't just Hack n' smash.

Oblivion isn't either. There are ranged options like magic and arrows. Both can be hack and smash. Or both can be run and gun.
Quick draw II

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:13 pm

Indeed they won't make it turn-based anymore. They've already established their new rules and mechanics for the next games, throwing away most of what the previous titles had, for the benefit of their target audience.

They've designed the game for the masses, for people who are not always used to play RPGs, and as such, those of us who prefer the older titles are in a severe minority and nothing can be done to make them change their mind. Even if we don't buy their new games, they won't see the different, financially. And they know that. Bethesda is no longer an independant RPG developper, but a mass market RPG developper. Business is business. To help their company grow, financially, they have no other choice but to appeal to a wider audience.

They already established their target audience since Oblivion (And Morrowind to an extent, if compared to Daggerfall).

This being said, I like Fallout 3 for one thing, its modding capabilities. I consider the game a good post-apocalyptic RPG designed by Bethesda but certainly not a good Fallout title.

Soo, for things that Fallout 3 has that Oblivion doesn't. Better and more interesting dialogue/conversations. Some NPCs are actually interesting.
The world is much more interesting to explore. It is smaller, but much better detailed. Most places of interest have a backstory to it.
The main quest is actually better and more interesting as well. (Oh noes! Daedra invade! We are all proffessional Blades, but we shall send an anonymous prisoner deal with the monsters while we throw parties at our headquarters! :P )
Beulah Bell

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:44 pm

:facepalm:

since the game has been out for a year and the next game will also be using the same mechanics.

I don't doubt that things will be tweaked here and there, but you can bet dollars to donuts that they are not going to make it a turn based game.

Hmm first you say they will use the same mechanics then you say they won't use the same mechanics then and won't use turn based.

Yeah it's going to use the same assests as FO3 but that doesn't mean they will absolutely 100% have the same exact mechanics in it.

As you see I never mentioned Turn-based, I just said you can't know 100% they will use the exact same mechanics is seen in FO3.

So you argue with me one one point then the next post you contradict yourself and then put words in my mouth, then call me petty? Interesting....:shrug:

Edit: Indeed cliff indeed.
Mandy Muir

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:25 am

lol n/m kinda wrong thread.
Robert Jackson

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:23 am

:facepalm:

Hmm first you say they will use the same mechanics then you say they won't use the same mechanics then and won't use turn based.

As you see I never mentioned Turn-based, I just said you can't know 100% they will use the exact same mechanics is seen in FO3.

So you argue with me one one point then the next post you contradict yourself and then put words in my mouth, then call me petty? Interesting....:shrug:

Edit: Indeed cliff indeed.

I suppose I should have said "similar" mechanics, but I didn't really expect you to interpret what I said to mean "100% untouched same exact thing as Fallout 3". It's obvious that I don't know what will be changed.

I think you just like to argue. As it happens, you're not very good at making a point.
Benjamin Holz

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:48 am

Indeed they won't make it turn-based anymore. They've already established their new rules and mechanics for the next games, throwing away most of what the previous titles had, for the benefit of their target audience.

They've designed the game for the masses, for people who are not always used to play RPGs, and as such, those of us who prefer the older titles are in a severe minority and nothing can be done to make them change their mind. Even if we don't buy their new games, they won't see the different, financially. And they know that. Bethesda is no longer an independant RPG developper, but a mass market RPG developper. Business is business. To help their company grow, financially, they have no other choice but to appeal to a wider audience.

They already established their target audience since Oblivion (And Morrowind to an extent, if compared to Daggerfall).

This being said, I like Fallout 3 for one thing, its modding capabilities. I consider the game a good post-apocalyptic RPG designed by Bethesda but certainly not a good Fallout title.

Soo, for things that Fallout 3 has that Oblivion doesn't. Better and more interesting dialogue/conversations. Some NPCs are actually interesting.
The world is much more interesting to explore. It is smaller, but much better detailed. Most places of interest have a backstory to it.
The main quest is actually better and more interesting as well. (Oh noes! Daedra invade! We are all proffessional Blades, but we shall send an anonymous prisoner deal with the monsters while we throw parties at our headquarters! :P )

About my thoughts aswell. Well, bar the modding which I haven't learned.
Laura Wilson

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:09 am

This got nicely derailed because a couple of members seemed to really want to make this about the older Fallout games. Which was not relevant to the question posed in the OP. Next time you wish to belabor, yet again, the mechanics of FO1/FO2 and your belief in their awesomeness over any other game, use the Fallout Series section.
Lisa

Previous

Return to Fallout 3