what does fallout 3 have that oblivion dosnt?

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm

from what ive heard from alot of people is that fo3 is basically just oblivion in post apocalyptic land with guns instead of swords and bows. is that really true? is it pretty much the same game or are there actual difference in the way the game plays?

what does fo3 have that ob dosnt?
Laura-Jayne Lee

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:14 pm

from what ive heard from alot of people is that fo3 is basically just oblivion in post apocalyptic land with guns instead of swords and bows. is that really true? is it pretty much the same game or are there actual difference in the way the game plays?

ive heard oblivion dosnt have nearly as much gore
Javier Borjas

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:40 pm

Cheap cheaty mc cheaterton VATS.
And a [censored] ton more gore. And characters that can make a coherent conversation.
Plus better level scaled enemies. Otherwise it pretty much is oblivion with guns.
yermom

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:10 am

Well, it feels like Oblivion with guns mainly just because Bethesda made it, and it is a similar open world environment. Other than that, the entire tone and mood of the game is completely different. Oblivion is a somewhat somber and serious game, while FO3 is full of offbeat humor and wackiness. So really the only reason the games are comparable is that Bethesda has a certain style to the way they design their worlds, and it carries over into this one.

I wouldn't want them to change much about their approach, to be honest. They make some of the best games around, and they're insanely replayable.
Pumpkin

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:53 am

ive heard oblivion dosnt have nearly as much gore

Oblivion is a Teen rated game ~changed after it shipped to an 'M' rating. IMO it hardly deserves it.

Technically they are the identical game, with minor alterations in the way the PC's level up. Oblivion was notable for the PC's ability to potentially become the top man (or woman) in every guild; Also Oblivion scaled the enemies to the player causing an indefinite equality regardless of character advancement (You could never get an edge no matter how hard you tried, because even the homeless muggers eventually had full plate armor and two-handed hammers & swords ~Which makes you wonder why they were mugging you). Fallout 3 does not exactly do this ~in the same way. You enter an area and it can "freeze" the median level of what you will find there (If I understand it correctly that is). Other than general setting (P.A. vs Fantasy) I don't see much difference other than a few nifty advancements to the engine. Fallout 3 does not have magic (though the mechanics are still there and used just the same).

Oblivion has more NPC's (and possibly more land area (though that is a pure guess). Fallout 3 has expanded support for longer PC dialog ~Oblivion IIRC has a 32 character limit for what the PC can "say".
Nicholas

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:38 pm

Oblivion is defantly larger than Fallout 3. And it has much more non-generic NPCs as well (in fact, close to 100% of all NPCs you meet have a proper name and schedules. The remainder are enemies that are there just to respawn and get killed by the PC, or City/Imperial Guardsmen.)
Emilie M

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:33 am

Well, Fallout 3 doesn't have such a strong leveling scale, which is terrible, while Oblivion did.
Kit Marsden

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:08 am

Fallout 3 has...
-Better Graphics
-Better Story
-More interesting landscapes, locations
-Better Balance
-More optimized, runs more smoothly
-Better 3rd person (Still svcks though)
-More interesting side quests
-A wider variety of weapons
-More OBGWTF moments
-Most important.....
It has collectable toy cars!!!!!
Sammykins

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:51 am

It has collectable toy cars!!!!!

Also, Mac & Cheese.. and who doesn't love Mac & Cheese?
Cartoon

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:31 pm

what does fallout 3 have that oblivion dosnt?

A Gun That Shoots 8 Mini-Nukes Obviously

~P7
Master Of Really Retarded Answers
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Sierra Ritsuka

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:16 am

I am surprised nobody has mentioned this. Fallout 3, has such a huge Potty Mouth on it. I think that is why it was given the M rating. I guess everyone is so use to the language it dosn't faze them or they realise it's in the game.

Anthour difference is it has no magika. Well that should be what Oblivion has that Fallout 3 dosn't but that is anthour differnce. Fallout 3 is more realistic. You can't jump very high at all, unlike in Oblivion.

Fallout 3 has more advlt oriented content. It has advlt content inuendo, and can do the act, up to a point. You have to imagine the rest.

You can also get rid of your money and store it in a locker or through it on the floor if you wanted. You couldn't do that in Oblivion.
Anna Beattie

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:15 pm

Snack Cakes, while Oblivion has actual Fancy Lads.
Kelly James

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:38 pm

I am surprised nobody has mentioned this. Fallout 3, has such a huge Potty Mouth on it. I think that is why it was given the M rating. I guess everyone is so use to the language it dosn't faze them or they realise it's in the game.

Anthour difference is it has no magika. Well that should be what Oblivion has that Fallout 3 dosn't but that is anthour differnce. Fallout 3 is more realistic. You can't jump very high at all, unlike in Oblivion.

Fallout 3 has more advlt oriented content. It has advlt content inuendo, and can do the act, up to a point. You have to imagine the rest.

You can also get rid of your money and store it in a locker or through it on the floor if you wanted. You couldn't do that in Oblivion.

magicka still exists in fallout3, just a different name:
Spoiler
"Action Points"

now, things that exist in fallout 3 but not in oblivion:

- Radio Station

- VATS. (gotta admit, I tried to go back to oblivion, but wihtout VATS, i can no longer target ... :( )
Jessica Raven

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:52 pm

I can tell you what FO3 doesn't have. Better customization of clothing.
Nauty

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:47 pm

Only things i can think of is this:

1) they have different leveling system ( fallout 3 you gain exp per kill, oblivion you gain exp by training each skill which i think is LAME )
2) Oblivion is much much bigger, especially with the DLC.
3) Okay obviously, Fallout 3 has more gore and uses guns and has waaay bigger explosions then you can make on oblivion without mods.
4) Fallout 3 is in the future ( obviously ) oblivion is set in the midevil era
5) Oblivion has a much more divorse character customization system, at least when it comes to races.
6) in Fallout 3 when you first start, you're born and you can go on through your child hood. In oblivion when you start you're in a prison and you have no clue why which creates a fun RPG feel.
7) Oblivion in my oppinion is more difficult, but Fallout 3 has " harsher " randoms.
8) In Oblivion you can ride on something to become very fast ( horses ), and Fallout 3 you can only walk.
9) Oblivion has more quests
10) Oblivion has many different factions you can actually join, Fallout 3 has factions that you CANT join except for BOS
11) Oblivion has many many many more possible companions ( without mods ).
12) Fallout 3 has perks.
All i can think of atm...

Super edit: I thought the thread was about differences, just realized it was about what fallout 3 has that oblivion doesnt have... ohh well im not gonna change to lazy :P.
Bloomer

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:11 pm

Fallout 3 comes with a lunchbox and bobblehead if you get the collector's edition. These objects appear in game and it really makes you feel like you're there. That's way more entertaining than Oblivion's (very sweet) coin.

Aside from that, it has this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obTxjPGKSeg
Melung Chan

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:33 pm

Only things i can think of is this:

1) they have different leveling system ( fallout 3 you gain exp per kill, oblivion you gain exp by training each skill which i think is LAME )

Why do you find it lame? I hate that you kill something and it makes you better. You should be working on skills instead of killing things or hacking terminals or locks. I like how you increase your skills to be better instead of killing things. That is SO Diabloish. You see 2 enemies go at it, one dies, the other only has say 5 hitpoints, and you kill it, and then you get points for someone else doing all the work? I don't like that at all.

It is more realistic in Oblivion than Fallout 3.
Music Show

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:42 pm

Davor you're correct, it is more realistic the oblivion way. But I have grown up playing games like WoW or Diablo where you grind things for levleing and i guess im just more used to it. Plus i find it much more enjoyable then casting a spell non stop / going on a scavanging hunt for terminals.
Ian White

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:27 pm

Davor you're correct, it is more realistic the oblivion way. But I have grown up playing games like WoW or Diablo where you grind things for levleing and i guess im just more used to it. Plus i find it much more enjoyable then casting a spell non stop / going on a scavanging hunt for terminals.

I'm in the same [or similar] camp. I prefer the more methodical approach to RPG's (for me the system is paramount, and the setting is window dressing for the system). Its why I greatly prefer the character system found in http://www.avernum.com/avernum5/index.html to the one in Oblivion. *I also really ~Really like the system in Arx Fatalis. (I like the Magic system too ~Its unmatched I think).
Rich O'Brien

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:36 pm

It sure does seem that some people prefer to focus on the "ZOMG, Bethesda used the same engine :ahhh:" idea - And they run with that, immediately going with the dismissive "Oblivion with Guns". In my opinion, it's shortcut for "I don't like that Bethesda got their hands on the IP."

I never thought about Oblivion, playing Fallout 3 - four playthroughs. And I still play Oblivion, tweaking mods and playing a few hours now and again.. and I never think about Fallout 3. :shrug:
Taylrea Teodor

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:38 am

It sure does seem that some people prefer to focus on the "ZOMG, Bethesda used the same engine :ahhh:" idea - And they run with that, immediately going with the dismissive "Oblivion with Guns". In my opinion, it's shortcut for "I don't like that Bethesda got their hands on the IP."

I never thought about Oblivion, playing Fallout 3 - four playthroughs. And I still play Oblivion, tweaking mods and playing a few hours now and again.. and I never think about Fallout 3. :shrug:
I never saw that in other posts :shrug:

The term "Oblivion with guns" means simply that; The game plays like Oblivion ~utterly, except it has guns, and the model assets are of retro 50's look instead of the dark ages. :shrug:
[Think back and remember http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bikRw6aN3ME&feature=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_4o18B4uTc]

Myself I have no qualms about the engine at all.
While I (of course) would have preferred Troika had gotten the IP... Barring them I don't mind Bethesda having it ~I just mind the direction they chose to run with it (Following the TES model instead of the Fallout model ~and no this has nothing to do with the combat mechanics).
IM NOT EASY

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:01 pm

The most significant differences for me:

-Most quests in FO3 are not fetch and carry quests
-enemies do not level with my character
-My character speaks in full sentences
-no trainers and skills aren't improved by doing
-VATS and the weapons skills (including guns skills)
Ashley Campos

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:16 am

I would have to agree with Gizmo, the gameplay is pretty much the same. Say if you modified a staff weapon in Oblivion and fought others with the same weapon, you'd pretty much have the same combat you see in FO3. As a matter of fact the gun effect are From what I've read just that, the magic system from oblivion.
Doniesha World

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:29 am

I wonder i the reason Bethesda had people in the future wearing clothes from the 50s was because of that one theory that things that were once in style and then out of style, would come back into style eventualy. Sorry that was totally off topic :P.
Oyuki Manson Lavey

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:31 am

It's the FO "trademark" You do know it's based off of the Retro-futuristic Ideas from the 50's right?
Chase McAbee

Next

Return to Fallout 3