The rest of the world?

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:03 am

Oh I thought you ment aftermath you won or not.
Ashley Hill

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:09 am

No, they attempted to blow up Hoover Dam, but they were caught.

He's referring to the http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Shi.
Javier Borjas

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:55 am

Possibly Heavily irradiated or got a handful of nukes.

Aw :(
Jonathan Windmon

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:57 am

Aw :(

Either that or something completely worse. It would be affected the same way another place would be affected by if it wasn't nuked. Here's something I posted in a similar topic, and since its topic is Ireland, Scotland would be affected the same way.

Probably. Even if it wasn't, the entire world was affected by nuclear war. If Ireland wasn't bombed, it would've had one of the worst affects, even worse than direct bombing. Similar to what would've happened to Antarctica; since almost all the world was nuked, the waves from the blast make the waters in the ocean go much faster, and the word tsunami is taken to a whole new level. All continents not hit by bombs were most likely bombarded and flooded with tons of water and waves. It would most likely be swallowed by the ocean. So you best hope Ireland was hit.

Alberto Aguilera

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:27 am

Either that or something completely worse. It would be affected the same way another place would be affected by if it wasn't nuked. Here's something I posted in a similar topic, and since its topic is Ireland, Scotland would be affected the same way.

I repeat...Aw :( My ancestory is Clan Gordon from Scotland
Lauren Dale

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:58 am

Well, best of hopes for Scotland and Ireland.. I hope they get nuked(in a good way).
Elea Rossi

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:26 am

Well, best of hopes for Scotland and Ireland.. I hope they get nuked(in a good way).

I think Im gonna Sig that, because it sounds so wrong and right at the same time
KiiSsez jdgaf Benzler

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:03 pm

One of the things FO3 compared to the other FO games breaks is the wide use of fusion batteries. In theory the war started over the control of the last remaining oil reserves. That's why China invades Alaska. However in FO3 there are so many fusion based cars and tech, that it makes no sense fighting over oil with that alternative source of energy so handy.
It can be presumed that some other country managed to survive. Perhaps there were more vaults built by other countries. Russia for example or perhaps UK or France. Isolated countries or islands might have some chance of survival as well. Not entirely untouched by the radiation (anyone who read or saw the movie On the Beach by Nevil Shute, should know this), but some form of organization might survive.

While fission was available, many things still used oil. Plus, control of those equals reserves of it too use just in case, and as a bartering/negotiating point with other countries not as developed as other countries.
The Time Car

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:04 pm

An EMP specific detonation, in the atmoshpere about in the middle of the country, would knock out all electrical/computer equipment across almost the entire United States. So really, you would only need a couple of devices; and they aren't necessarily nuclear devices; to knock out all electrical/computer equipment across the US.

EMP pulses only act on what is existing. anything built, developed after the pulse wouldn't be affected.

Sorry, but not in the Fallout timeline. One of the biggest differences from the Fallout universe and our universe is that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube technology is still used in electronics, which is much more resistant to EMP than our current technology.

Taken from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse:
Older, vacuum tube (valve) based equipment is much less vulnerable to EMP than newer solid state equipment; Soviet Cold War?era military aircraft often had avionics based on vacuum tubes due both to limitations in Soviet solid-state capabilities and a belief that the vacuum gear would survive better.

So, electronics would still survive in the Fallout universe.
Scared humanity

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:22 am

It seems like the country that survived best would hve been New Zealand.

nah nah nah try antarctica if you were already there with your big heavy winter suits and plus the snow there is still fresh and clean not irradiated because what would be the point of wasting a nuke there
koumba

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:11 am

Capital Post: United Nations Disbanded!
xemmybx

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:24 am

nah nah nah try antarctica if you were already there with your big heavy winter suits and plus the snow there is still fresh and clean not irradiated because what would be the point of wasting a nuke there

Dude.. Are you kidding me? Just read this. There wouldn't even be a such thing as Antarctica anymore.

Probably. Even if it wasn't, the entire world was affected by nuclear war. If Ireland wasn't bombed, it would've had one of the worst affects, even worse than direct bombing. Similar to what would've happened to Antarctica; since almost all the world was nuked, the waves from the blast make the waters in the ocean go much faster, and the word tsunami is taken to a whole new level. All continents not hit by bombs were most likely bombarded and flooded with tons of water and waves. It would most likely be swallowed by the ocean. So you best hope Ireland was hit.

Emzy Baby!

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:35 pm

*warning Nerd Alert*

Okay first of all, we need to stop comparing the Fallout world to ours. it is the same planet, and there's people living on it, but that's about the only comparison there is.

Social structures, technological advances, global politics all is different.

As said hundreds of times before, the fallout universe is based on what people in the fifties would think the future looked like.
Instead of focusing on computer technology as we did they focused on nuclear technology. therefor, they are far more advanced than we are. It is even possible that the warheads they have in the FO universe aren't as powerful as ours, but maybe have the power of the WW2 A-bombs.

Furthermore people in the fifties thought that in some point in the future we could keep food and other stuff preserved forever with the use of nuclear technology.

Nuclear winter is a theory originating in the 1980's long after the Divergence. Therefor there was no nuclear winter in the Fallout universe. (on a side note, the Nuclear winter theory is commonly accepted as disproved since a few years, so technically even WE don't think it will happen after all.

the reason they were fighting over oil, is said a few post earlier, although they had fission technology, it wasn't enough to be independent from fossil fuels completely.

For the EMP, most electrical systems are using vacuum tubes, wich are (as also said before) highly resistant to emp.

Now for being on topic, I have to join the ranks of most people here: The entire (industrialized) world is completely [censored].
Blaine

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:39 pm

..What just happened here?
Eric Hayes

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:09 am

on a side note, the Nuclear winter theory is commonly accepted as disproved since a few years, so technically even WE don't think it will happen after all.
Really? I admit I haven't been paying much attention to the whole idea, but last I heard some previous notions of nuclear winter might in fact have been a bit too cheerful.
Wikipedia seems to say the same. Wikipedia's not (much of) a source, though, but a quick Google doesn't exactly produce any sort of concensus on the matter either. So I'm curious.

But on topic: What happened to Earth? I suspect it got nuked. And to such an extent so that that which wasn't doesn't really matter :P
Josee Leach

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38 pm

Really? I admit I haven't been paying much attention to the whole idea, but last I heard some previous notions of nuclear winter might in fact have been a bit too cheerful.
Wikipedia seems to say the same. Wikipedia's not (much of) a source, though, but a quick Google doesn't exactly produce any sort of concensus on the matter either. So I'm curious.

The nuclear winter theory is dependant on the fact that the burning cities after a nuclear attack would create an abundance of greenhouse gases, therefor radically changing the greenhouse effect and climate change. Also the dust and smoke would block the light of the sun, cooling the earth down even more. Scientist discovered that although that the dust and smoke would blot out the sun, it wouldn't be long. Compare it to a huge eruption of a vulcano. The effects of that are noticible, but barely. Therefor they predict there won't be a winter, but just a slight cooling down for a short period of time. A nuclear autumn to give it a name. National Geographic has an excellent documentary on the subject (can't remember the name)

But on topic: What happened to Earth? I suspect it got nuked. And to such an extent so that that which wasn't doesn't really matter :P

Couldn't agree more.
JUDY FIGHTS

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:01 am

I do wonder what happened to Finland and other nordic countries, such as Norway and Sweden etc...
I bet they all got hit by at least one nuke per country, and all of them have their own in-accessable wastelands.
Maybe they live something-like pre-war time... like nothing really happened. Just like in Andale (well, without the cannibalism).
GLOW...

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:10 am

The south hemisphere didn't suffered much except with a small fallout effecf, broken government and civil war. South America and Russia are probably those who are in best conditions because they are extremely capable of defending themselves against invasion and also because they are very rich in natural resources.
Anyway, anywhere should be better than the U.S. and China.
Astargoth Rockin' Design

Previous

Return to Fallout Series Discussion