The rest of the world?

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:48 am

Tenpenny came to the Capital Wasteland to seek his FORTUNE. Now, if it's as bad as we see in the DC ruins, then England must be in a worst situation.
Josh Trembly

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:42 am

Wonder how Iceland is holding up in the Fallout universe...
I bet we're all fine, living in happiness as the only country in the whole world that still has regular pre-war civilization. :D
Zosia Cetnar

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:10 pm

The nuclear apocalypse unleashed massive tectonic upheaval around the world. Odds are, Iceland has been buried under lava once more.
P PoLlo

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:44 pm

The nuclear apocalypse unleashed massive tectonic upheaval around the world. Odds are, Iceland has been buried under lava once more.

Well I'll look on the bright sides, at least we get some privacy. :P
Juan Suarez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:20 am

Well I'll look on the bright sides, at least we get some privacy. :P

HAHA that's hilarious. Good ole Icelanders looking at the bright side of things :P
Damned_Queen

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 am

Europe was going to be nuked in a USA-USSR war, that's for sure. Every country except maybe Swizerland and Sweden were going to be nuked atleast 4 times.

There's no mention of Russia or USSR in Fallout universe. But the odds are europeans got bogged down with Middle East. Most likely, by that time all countries had some sort of nuclear arsenal. Even mini-nukes. As for Sweden, it really doesn't matter where the bombs fell. When the Chernobyl accident took place, the radiation cloud hit the Sweden. One thermonuclear detonation of 200kt is enough to create a radiation cloud to everyone around.
Still, such a bomb would turn DC into one big crater, so no ruins to play FO3 in.
Jake Easom

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:08 am

All anybody would have to do is make their own Tsar Bomba, but make the tamper with cobalt. One of those alone would blanket the Earth with fallout.
Mr. Ray

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:29 pm

well new Zeland would be washed under the ocean for the most part I believe..gotta figure that those bombs would burn the ice caps before a nuclear winter (that apprently never happened in FO)

Mostly I blame the game changing hands to account for the crappy overall story lines. I am not sure though... only have played FO3...those 2 bit games don't appeal to me lol. I am sure they have a great story but its not 1995 anymore :gun: :shocking:
Jennifer Rose

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:45 am

I a;ways had this question. Wouldn't it be funny if the rest of the world was fine and they all were just looking in on us and laughing.
Rhi Edwards

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:32 am

How very North Korean of you comrade :foodndrink:
Donald Richards

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:41 pm

How about this;

Some African countries *now* can't look after themselves too well, a lot of internal strife and genocide. If conditions in the environment got worse, who says that they'd have the ability to wipe their own butts, let alone take up a dominant role as a world leader? It takes organization, people, military might, resources to achieve something on a large scale like that and most likely no one can do that.

The world's population has been devastated. With resources limited, it may be a case where the majority of people/civilization where they/it exists are just trying to get by. Everything seems to be on a very disorganized and small scale, and man has been blown back to the Stone Age practically. Think about how long it took mankind to come out of the Dark Ages. Previously, mankind had made advances, but all of that was lost in the European regions for hundreds of years. Similarly, a nuclear holocaust would dip the entire world into a degraded state with a complete loss of organized religions, governments, information and industry.

As mentioned above, radiation has more detrimental effects long term than the initial EMP and explosions. True, there should be *no* electrical power, let alone working computers/bots, but this is fantasy, perhaps all of these items were shielded? Although, from appearances, the computers were pretty archaic, monochrome screens, and slow as molasses, so I highly doubt their engineering them to be so long lived, power efficient, and EMP-proof. That being said, I'd bet that the group that could first get a nuclear power plant of dam generating power would be a very powerful group indeed.
casey macmillan

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:47 pm

How about this;

Some African countries *now* can't look after themselves too well, a lot of internal strife and genocide. If conditions in the environment got worse, who says that they'd have the ability to wipe their own butts, let alone take up a dominant role as a world leader? It takes organization, people, military might, resources to achieve something on a large scale like that and most likely no one can do that.

The world's population has been devastated. With resources limited, it may be a case where the majority of people/civilization where they/it exists are just trying to get by. Everything seems to be on a very disorganized and small scale, and man has been blown back to the Stone Age practically. Think about how long it took mankind to come out of the Dark Ages. Previously, mankind had made advances, but all of that was lost in the European regions for hundreds of years. Similarly, a nuclear holocaust would dip the entire world into a degraded state with a complete loss of organized religions, governments, information and industry.

As mentioned above, radiation has more detrimental effects long term than the initial EMP and explosions. True, there should be *no* electrical power, let alone working computers/bots, but this is fantasy, perhaps all of these items were shielded? Although, from appearances, the computers were pretty archaic, monochrome screens, and slow as molasses, so I highly doubt their engineering them to be so long lived, power efficient, and EMP-proof. That being said, I'd bet that the group that could first get a nuclear power plant of dam generating power would be a very powerful group indeed.

good point
Laura Shipley

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:25 am

One of the things FO3 compared to the other FO games breaks is the wide use of fusion batteries. In theory the war started over the control of the last remaining oil reserves. That's why China invades Alaska. However in FO3 there are so many fusion based cars and tech, that it makes no sense fighting over oil with that alternative source of energy so handy.
It can be presumed that some other country managed to survive. Perhaps there were more vaults built by other countries. Russia for example or perhaps UK or France. Isolated countries or islands might have some chance of survival as well. Not entirely untouched by the radiation (anyone who read or saw the movie On the Beach by Nevil Shute, should know this), but some form of organization might survive.
KiiSsez jdgaf Benzler

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:07 pm

Cool, so by UK targeted they mean England, so the worst Wales probobally got was fallout and some radiation that quickly subsided. Yay I live if there is a war.
Sweets Sweets

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:07 pm

Alive? Possibly. But ghoulification is also a possibility. :nuke:
Polynesian people got cancer a various afflictions hundreds of miles from the french nuclear testing sites (or atmospheric testing sites, they liked to call them because nuclear is such a damning stigmate of a word).
Elina

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 pm

its evident that the rest of the world doesnt exist.

People with foreign accents were originally from other countries and their families moved to America before the war and survived somehow.
Rach B

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:18 pm

AS chris said the rest of the world is no better off. FO3 and bethsodt acknoledges this, is largely fake in it potraial of damage. In the original games L.A. was nothing but level ground and skeletal husks if buildings.
Robert Bindley

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:56 am

The Ghouly Queen Mum run'n around (MOD IT!)

If the China people attacked, you think there would be EMP bursts and what not knocking out electric stuff. YET BEHOLD! LIBERTY PRIME!
David Chambers

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:27 am

EMP only destroys Electronics that are functioning at the time of the EMP. If you turn off your electronics before the blast they will be ok....
Angelina Mayo

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:06 am

hmm now that I think about it Liberty Prime was in DC but I was thinking he was in Alaska when the bombs went off...plus nobody even knows if they threw out EMPs right?
ashleigh bryden

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:05 pm

EMP only destroys Electronics that are functioning at the time of the EMP. If you turn off your electronics before the blast they will be ok....

Thats a widely spread misunderstanding.

A EMP induces electricity in every kind of closed electrical circuit within its range wether it is active or not.
This means you can switch off your computer or radio and even remove the plug from the socket and they will get damaged nonetheless. The intensity of the damage depends on how far away from the source of the pulse these electrical circuits are and how much obstacles that weaken the pulse are in between.

The only method of protection on the surface is to enclose them into a Faraday cage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
Oscar Vazquez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Tenpenny came to the Capital Wasteland to seek his FORTUNE. Now, if it's as bad as we see in the DC ruins, then England must be in a worst situation.

Many people go to war zones to seek the fortune with reconstruction and so on, or possibly through a lack of communication the US was percieved as being better off. After all people on these forums are always suggesting that places cant be worse of than the capitol wasteland. (they clearly could, washington looks like there wasnt a war)
Alan Whiston

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:01 am

I think that the rest of the world has suffered similar effects. It would be cool if later variants of the game came out where water/air travel were re-invented for those other than the Enclave. Would be able to go to china and fight muties there or anywhere for that matter.

FALLOUT CHINA!!!
Ricky Meehan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:05 am

Most likely Alaska is safe enough. It would be sound reasoning that when you throw nukes you don't do it in places valuable that you want to get your hands on. Other than that, perhaps Antarctica or Groenland can be the new haven of civilization. As someone above said, polar caps have a habit of melting in events such as nuclear wars.
Dawn Farrell

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:46 am

Most likely Alaska is safe enough. It would be sound reasoning that when you throw nukes you don't do it in places valuable that you want to get your hands on. Other than that, perhaps Antarctica or Groenland can be the new haven of civilization. As someone above said, polar caps have a habit of melting in events such as nuclear wars.

Im not so sure about that. China was beaten in Alaska in 2077.

With their losses and the fuel shortage it was propably impossible for them to ever come back and get their hands on the oil a second time. In that situation and especially when all buttons get pushed, you wanna make sure that the USA wont have that oil either.

Otherwise it might later power americans tanks rolling through China.
Hussnein Amin

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout Series Discussion