Is the expansion pack dead?

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:22 am

So i always lamented the lack of a true expansion for Fallout 3 and the fact the Oblivion only had one real expansion pack (Shivering isles) and a bunch of trivial DLC (houses, Dagon, etc..) so this makes me worry that Skyrim will be devoid of a true old school expansion pack a proper large adventure that introduces new lands, new cities, a whole new main quest and lots of new side quests and characters (Tribunal/Bloodmoon/Shivering Isles). Does this bother anyone else DLC just seems really trivial and short KOTN was good but didn't add much to my experience, and stuff like the Pit and Broken Steel didn't do much for me ether i want a proper expansion pack for TES V

Point Lookout is a "True expansion" for Fallout 3. It's openly explorable, with a pretty decent sized map.
Racheal Robertson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:05 am

Definitely expansion packs which add tons of quests to do and areas to explore!
Samantha Mitchell

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:08 am

Point Lookout is a "True expansion" for Fallout 3. It's openly explorable, with a pretty decent sized map.

Pretty much this. I bought this and Broken Steel (the latter for obvious reasons) only. Everything else I glanced at, and said, "... Why?"

Now, I myself prefer a very nice long expansion pack that I can slowly experience it's pleasures. A new zone to explore, new monster types, many new quest. When I think of added content, I think of.

"A new threat has arisen somewhere and requries your attention! Delve into new kind of dungeons and battle new foes! NEW! NEW NEW NEW! But you get to use your same character! BUT IN A NEW WAY! NEWWWWW"

Not.

"Oh hai. Der is dis stuff goin on in dis place. Dink u can help? tanks. o u r dun alrdy? Der isn't anyting els 2 d0."

Or in other terms. Compare Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction to Fallout 3: Broken Steel.
Georgia Fullalove

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:44 am

Pretty decisive.
Mimi BC

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:28 am

DLCs svck but expansions packs have been around for a long time and are a lot more worthy. The DLC is the expansion pack's shrimpy [censored] cousin.
Tania Bunic

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:32 am

Fallout 3 had the best DLCs operation anchorage was awesome it added all new weapons and new areas, also I have heard a lot of good things about mother ship Zeta I never really liked it, and Broken steel added so much more content how can you say those are small DLCs

oops forgot about point lookout which was also huge that had to be as big as Bloodmoon

Also yes Oblivion had a lot of small DLC's, but there was also the Shivering Isles, which was probably as big as Bloodmoon or Tribunal, I wouldn't say combined though and Oblivion had knights of the nine that may not have been that big, but it was still awesome and took me a while to beat
Josh Lozier

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:11 am

It'd be sad, gaming wise, if DLCs were now the norm and expansion packs would be gone.

When all DLCs for a game have been released, the total price of them is the same as an expansion pack, yet it's split in many different smaller additions mixed with the current game. They do not feel as rewarding to complete because of how short they can be, and how little they affect the game.

Now... I wouldn't say no to a Horse Armor DLC. Clearly, the Bethesda's best DLC yet! ;)

Maybe it could be Naked Nords' Armor. "The world of Skyrim is full of witches. Protect the naked Nords with this beautiful armor." :)
Carlos Vazquez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:58 am

No, no DLCs - just big expansion packs that add hours upon hours of new gameplay. Pretty please?
LuBiE LoU

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:07 am

whats funny is that morrowind had plug ins very similar to Oblivions DLC... and they where free, the fact is they can do both and the morrowind plugins where often as good or better than the oblivion ones

Point Lookout is TINY compared to bloodmoon and Tribunal and the quest takes all of one night there is no discovery or sense of adventure and not much in the way of gravitas ether. Broken Steel and Point lookout where about the same as Knights of the Nine in terms of breath, honestly they felt like a way to get items not a way to tell a story. The stories in Tribunal and Bloodmoon where expansive, of a certain magnitude and fun to play.
mollypop

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:53 am

oops forgot about point lookout which was also huge that had to be as big as Bloodmoon

No, Point Lookout was nowhere NEAR substantial enough to be considered an expansion pack. Just because it provided an open world rather than a linear world says NOTHING about the level of content contained within, which was minimal. Tribunal took place inside a closed-world, not an open space, yet is contained more content than Point Lookout.

A truer description of Point Lookout would be that it is a "Proper addition" for Fallout 3, in the sense that it provides a new worldspace rather than just new quests.

When all DLCs for a game have been released, the total price of them is the same as an expansion pack, yet it's split in many different smaller additions mixed with the current game. They do not feel as rewarding to complete because of how short they can be, and how little they affect the game.

This, very much so. If you have 2 DLC's each rated at 5 hours of gameplay and 1 Expansion pack rated at 10 hours of gameplay, the expansion pack will have more content because each of the smaller DLC's takes a certain amount of time to establish setting, characters and plot. That has to be re-established for each DLC, and the 'bookends' of each one eats up development time.

Think of it like this: If you have a box, and you want to store things in it, that box is measured by the amount of room contained within it. Lets says It's 1" x 1" x 1". Now if you took a piece of wood and put in in that box, diving it in two, you would have two boxes each 1" x 1" x .5". However, by diving the box into two compartments you have lost space, because now certain big things will not fit into that box.

This is exactly the difference between DLC and an Expansion pack, both from a development point of view and a consumers point of view. The Box is the package, the space within it is the amount of content, and the piece of wood divider is the bookends that ruin the potential for post-game content.

Please, for the love of Akatosh, don't make snack-sized DLC for Skyrim. Let your creativity roam free and give the fans what they all desire: An old-school expansion pack.
Setal Vara

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:47 am

Can anyone remember how long Bloodmoon was compared to Shivering Isles? I seem to remember it being significantly longer, but that may be nostalgia.

I wouldn't mind a few medium (KotN) sized dlc, then one or two proper expansions.
Marlo Stanfield

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:05 am

Expansion Pack powers ACTIVATE!

Shape of: a disk!

Form of: 25% more game play!

break

I grew up with PnP games where modules were the norm, so I'm OK with paying for more story, adventure, and content. However, there should be something quite substantial for my money, not a dozen hours of gaming.

As far as packs being dead? I think they'd just do one and DLC the rest.
David John Hunter

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:21 pm

I hope you guys are right, i cant imagine a TES game without one
maya papps

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:27 am

Downloadable expansion?
Ridhwan Hemsome

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:58 am

expansions any day over dlc
Camden Unglesbee

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:27 am

well you can make a true expansion downloadable just like SI was
Latisha Fry

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:08 pm

Expansion pack(s) please!... and am I the only one who prefers Tribunal over Bloodmoon?
Flutterby

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:55 am

I hate full sized expansions.. because they're so much better than DLC's and I will buy them, and I hate spending all my money lol.

Seriously though, expansions only. I won't buy anymore DLC's, so far they just haven't been worth the money.
Andrew Perry

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:42 am

Well i like tribunals environment better but i think bloodmoon was better game play wise it just seemed much more connected
ijohnnny

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:02 pm

Expansion pack(s) please!... and am I the only one who prefers Tribunal over Bloodmoon?

I'm not sure which I prefer, each had a certain edge over the other. That having been said, Tribunal is highly underrated, I had so much fun with it. I loved the Diablo type of level design, that the world was like below the city. Plus the main quest was so great, dealing directly with the Tribunal temple, it felt like the perfect logical way to continue Morrowind.
SexyPimpAss

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:29 pm

If you're referring to Fallout 3 sized DLC, then I say why not do both?

Release your 5 or so FO3 sized DLCs for Skyrim, then take a year or so and finish the content off with one HUGE expansion. Then rest on your achievements and start work on the next game whenever you're ready.

It's a win win situation.
Steven Nicholson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:37 am

kind of but you could get rid of the DLCs and have two expansions.... and that would be far better
Harry Leon

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:20 pm

kind of but you could get rid of the DLCs and have two expansions.... and that would be far better

I suppose this option would be good too.
jessica breen

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:31 pm

I'm not sure which I prefer, each had a certain edge over the other. That having been said, Tribunal is highly underrated, I had so much fun with it. I loved the Diablo type of level design, that the world was like below the city. Plus the main quest was so great, dealing directly with the Tribunal temple, it felt like the perfect logical way to continue Morrowind.

Totally agree. Especially with the way, like you said, continued with story of the other members of the Tribunal. Really dug the underground areas both dwemer and db stronghold.
Liv Brown

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim