Is the expansion pack dead?

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:32 am

Also, gamesas needs to be sure to offer patches for ALL DLC-it was a huge issue, especially with the console version, to have a number of huge bugs involving conflicts and/or glitches with the DLC.

I agree the Referrence Bug Glitch in The Shivering Isles was unacceptable period.
Brian LeHury

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:54 am

Amazing 100% want an expansion.

I am sure they learned from past mistakes (reference bug)
Oscar Vazquez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:12 am

Expansions > DLC
Sunnii Bebiieh

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:19 am

Expansion packs are nice.. some DLC obviously equals the amount of time put into expansions.. but a lot are just piddly little things that I could care less about.
Unfortunately the companies make more money with the piddly. If they can offer 5 small DLC's and charge 15 - 30 dollars for them obviously they are going to continue to do what earns them the most money.
Just look at how much money people put into Apps for their i-phone. I just find it ridiculous but obviously the addictive consumer in some people can't stop from purchasing these things.
Portions

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:10 am

A full expansion would be great, but I be believe, unfortunately, that Bethesda is done with them and DLC's are what they are going to stick with. They can be done in a relatively short period of time, for a pretty small price.
Sylvia Luciani

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38 pm

Yes and 96+ people agree with me, in fallout most of the dlcs had to have patches with them and I just want one or two big chunks for expansion packs for 19.99 each and I will have no problem paying that much. Hopefully these packs will have less bugs.
Trevor Bostwick

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:56 am

It would be pretty cool if they expanded on the original existing game map. Perhaps they could do the expansion for High Rock since it seems smaller than other the provinces.
*Chloe*

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:00 am

Just want to draw attention to perhaps the reason why full sized expansion packs are unanimously (thus far) considered superior to F3 sized packs.

When you develop an expansion that is large-scale you give yourself more room to be creative and a more suitable space to pour content into. The story line for any of Oblivion or Morrowind's expansions had far more gravity and importance than any of F3's DLC (with the possible exception of Broken Steel). There's more room for minor, small additions like smaller quests and NPC's.

If it's a bigger addition then there is simply more room for significant content, and it makes the content feel less like an "addition to" and more like an "extension of" the game. It creates a more memorable experience for the player, and a area that actually adds to the players proverbial playground or sandbox.

Consider this; upon finishing any of Fallout 3's DLC the player never returns to those environments. They merely pick up their loot and leave, bringing with them only the memory of the mission and the goodies collected. A Morrowind or Oblivion sized expansion provides a new world and populace for the player to visit continually, an extension of the world that provides cities worth returning too, and reasons to come back.
sarah

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:41 am

Never heard of the Reference Bug Glitch. I was thinking more of the glitches where the magic shop gets locked up nearly all the time (Mage's Tower-which actually breaks the DLC itself since that's the only place where you can buy house upgrades) and Dwemer Orrery (where an important quest-giving NPC can end up getting locked into the Orrery cell and is rendered unreachable by the player). At least Bethesda has released a patch for The Shivering Isles (if I recall correctly), even if it may not have fixed the bug you're speaking of.
Ross

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:35 pm

I think Bethesda should take note of the unanimous nature of this post... It is 104:0:0, I think we MIGHT want expansion packs, just a guess...
Devils Cheek

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:55 am

While I do want expansions, I actually liked Oblivion's plug-ins, especially if they are priced reasonably.
Mrs. Patton

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:54 am

I hate DLC's, bring back the good old expansion packs!
GEo LIme

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:26 pm

Just want to draw attention to perhaps the reason why full sized expansion packs are unanimously (thus far) considered superior to F3 sized packs.

I very much agree with this. The Fallout 3 DLCs were played in separate worlds completely detached from the main game (aside from Broken Steel), with little reason to ever go back once you've finished the main story. And then you just kinda forget about them, whereas a place like Shivering Isles you'll go back to.
Alex Vincent

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:06 am

Wow I've never seen such one sided voting on these forums. I sure hope the full on expansion pack isn't dead. I'm not a big fan of ~4 hour DLCs. I would much, much rather have an expansion like SI that you can really spend some time with.
stevie trent

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:47 am

Expansion pack, end of story.
Darren

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:42 am

I'm actually okay with both, it's more about the implementation rather than the amount of content. For example, I despised Tribunal and was indifferent towards Bloodmoon, while Shivering Isles was okay. However I absolutely love what Bethesda did with Fallout 3 DLC's, Operation: Anchorage, The Pitt, and Point Lookout were superb and provided enough diversity for me not getting bored of the game as long as they kept releasing stuff for it. Broken Steel was pretty good too, but Mothership Zeta was a failure from my viewpoint.

So what I'm trying to say is I love game expansions small or large, as long as they can keep them fresh and on a relatively high level of quality.
Marnesia Steele

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:05 am

There was a really interesting interview on Eurogamer awhile back with Todd Howard. He doesn't confirm anything, but suggests that they might move away from bite-sized DLCs and back to pumping out few meaty expansions.

"We jumped into that like the new frontier. We made some mistakes. Our goal with Oblivion was to do lots of different things. Let's see what people like, what price points they like, and also what works for us, because it takes time.

We felt coming out of Oblivion that Knights of the Nine - that $10 one - was a good sweet spot, not just in terms of what people want to pay, but for us creating it. Whereas Shivering Isles, it's a $30 thing - people bought it, it did great - but it wasn't great in terms of how long it took us to do it and get it out.

So we went into Fallout 3 with this $10 price at this pace. I can tell you that pace was fast. We had two overlapping DLC groups, tiny groups, and we did that, and the audience, they liked that rate of them coming out but it was hard. I don't know if we're going to be able to do that again.

I think at the end of the day we just want to have something that is really high quality and maybe not put so many out."

I sincerely hope they do decide to pump out less content. While I love a constant stream of content, Shivering Isles was the most satifying for me and left me wanting so much more that was of that scale.
Kelsey Anna Farley

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:11 am

Expansions all the way although I did like the Knights of the Nine but I would rather buy a expansion then a DLC more content and I can buy it at the plaza(Shopping Center/Mall) faster and doesn't slow down my internet
^~LIL B0NE5~^

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:52 am

I really like all of the expansions for Morrowind and Oblivion, but I thought the DLCs were a waste of time and money...
Alan Cutler

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:43 am

Small DLC is cancer. Full sized expansions please.

This. Please, for the love of TES, we want real expansion packs!

Also totally agreed with OP.
Miragel Ginza

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:58 am

When you develop an expansion that is large-scale you give yourself more room to be creative and a more suitable space to pour content into. The story line for any of Oblivion or Morrowind's expansions had far more gravity and importance than any of F3's DLC (with the possible exception of Broken Steel). There's more room for minor, small additions like smaller quests and NPC's.

If it's a bigger addition then there is simply more room for significant content, and it makes the content feel less like an "addition to" and more like an "extension of" the game. It creates a more memorable experience for the player, and a area that actually adds to the players proverbial playground or sandbox.

Consider this; upon finishing any of Fallout 3's DLC the player never returns to those environments. They merely pick up their loot and leave, bringing with them only the memory of the mission and the goodies collected. A Morrowind or Oblivion sized expansion provides a new world and populace for the player to visit continually, an extension of the world that provides cities worth returning too, and reasons to come back.

100% agreed, I couldn't say it better. I just remember how much fun I had in Tribunal and Bloodmoon. Tribunal offered a completely different experience that complemented oh so well Morrowind's main quest. A big, unique city with a vast system of undergrounds sewers, caverns, tombs and such. Oh, and the artifacts museum! And Bloodmoon with snow and trying to make the Imperial settlement get on its feet, werewolf attacks and such. If anyone could ever get tired of Morrowind, that was the cure. Shivering Isles was great, but I still think it fell a bit short compared to these two. Hell, Bloodmoon brought Lycanthropy among others, new factions and such. How can you prefer DLC that limits creativity?

And I can't understand how it wouldn't work even if it's not the industry standard. If most are willing to jump on the first DLC coming out, I bet they'd still be willing to jump on a full-fledged expansion to a game they all love. I mean, people have been begging for a new ES game, why wouldn't a lot of people welcome with open arms and all new adventure? As far as I know, Shivering Isles fared pretty well.
Lyndsey Bird

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:09 am

I don't mind either one, although I would be disappointed if there wasn't one Bloodmoon/Shivering Isle in scope add on.

What I don't like is the nickel and dime DLC that hurt the immersion. Stuff like the Orrery and Horse Armor or Fighter's Stronghold were like a billboard saying "Bethesda is just being cheap" destroying the view. At least Mehrunes Razor didn't stick out like a sore thumb if you didn't have it.

I don't want to buy petty mods, plenty of mods free. I will pay for significant add-ons. Bethesda, if Microsoft wants you to give them a few extra micro-transactions and you want to give in for some quick cash, that's fine... but include that stuff in the PC version.
Flutterby

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:52 am

I agree with just about all the posts thus far, because of this new DLC trend, I usually end up not buying games until they produce a Gold or GotY edition. Of course, I will make an exception for TES V (as I did for FNV)
Nathan Hunter

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:39 am

I agree with pretty much everything... But I am afraid I must go rebel and vote against the pack just for the sake of voting against the pack. No more unanimous landslide! Muhahaha!
Sanctum

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:44 am

The problem with epic expansion packs is cost. They're expensive, in both development time and money. Something like The Shivering Isles takes about a year or more of dedicated development time to create. Now, Bethesda prefers making the kinds of DLC you got with Fallout 3 - 6-8 month dev cycles, substantial hours of gameplay, but more like an additional area rather than an entire additional world. They're quicker and cheaper to produce, is what it comes down to, and the payoff is nearly the same as something Shivering Isles-sized.

So yeah, while big expansion packs are quite cool, I don't expect them by any means.
xx_Jess_xx

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim