What would make you NOT buy TES5? - Part 2

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:50 am

I'm going to laugh at anyone who buys a Xbox 720.
Cheryl Rice

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:48 am

Some great ideas here. I hope Beth considers these.
neen

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:09 pm

Things that would stop me buying it:
* MMORPG!
* The lack of a first person viewpoint.
* Making the game story-driven rather than sandbox.

Things that would make me seriously consider not buying it:
* A smaller game world than Morrowind.
* A return to text-based dialogue rather than voiced dialogue.

Things that I would despise, but that would not stop me buying it on their own (a combination might though):
* A smaller game world than Oblivion.
* A level scaling system like the one in Oblivion.
* Less skills than Oblivion.
* Less weapon/armor types than Oblivion.
* An unrealistic fast travel system. I would be perfectly happy if the fast travel system was actually implemented in the form of some sort of transport company whom you could pay to get somewhere.
jasminε

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:23 am

So then, my main reasons that would make ME not buy TES5:
-If they made the Argonians even more human like or removed them completely:
They where already overly humanoid in Oblivion, making them even more human would just be BAD. Or even worse if they decided “No, we don't need them, let's not do them”.
I usually not try to stick to such reasons but being able to play as an Argonian is actually one of the main reasons why I got into TES anyway. But I guess having their favorite race in the game butchered so much would be a reason to many.

IF you feel that way, then I reccomend that you don't play Arena. They were at their most human looking back then. Morrowind and redguard are the two games where they have looked the most inhuman in my opinion.
Timara White

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:36 pm

A return to text-based dialogue rather than voiced dialogue.

I'd actually prefer them going back to text-based dialogue. There's more they can say, etc. While with voiced dialgue there's hardly anything they can say. Compare what NPC's can say in Morrowind to what they can say in Oblivion and Fallout 3.
jadie kell

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:39 pm

There's just so many advantages to text-based dialog:
  • More varied, more in-depth dialog. Because there are some NPCs who should have entire spiels to throw at you.
  • Less work on Bethesda's part. Didn't they say half of the Oblivion DVD is solely voice recording?
  • More voices. At least, if they return to Morrowind's system, I assume they could return to using one unique actor per race/gender.
  • More immersion. Extension of above - hearing 2 identical-sounding NPCs greet you at once isn't as jarring as 2 identical-sounding NPCs in a fully voiced conversation.
  • Less work for modders. Not everybody can lip-sync and record dialog, but everybody can write dialog. It always felt awkward in Oblivion to interact with a mod-added NPC who was utterly silent. At least things are consistent if Bethesda does the same.

IF you feel that way, then I reccomend that you don't play Arena. They were at their most human looking back then. Morrowind and redguard are the two games where they have looked the most inhuman in my opinion.

The Argonians in Redguard remind me of a giant stuffed alligator. I could never take them seriously. :rofl:
Craig Martin

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:00 am

1.If it has any form of multiplayer.
2.If the console versions are as laughable as MW was on Xbox.
3.If it doesn't push its respective platforms to thier proccessing thresholds.
4.If the quest locations are annoying/difficult to find,marking any location on your map helps alot more than vague directions.
Nick Jase Mason

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:08 am

I won't be buying it if I die before it is released. :P
Unstoppable Judge

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:51 am

2.If the console versions are as laughable as MW was on Xbox.

?
Rachel Hall

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:39 am

I'd actually prefer them going back to text-based dialogue. There's more they can say, etc. While with voiced dialgue there's hardly anything they can say. Compare what NPC's can say in Morrowind to what they can say in Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Don't get me wrong, I know that the text-based approach has strengths (such as the potential for a considerable amount more dialogue). There are a number of games I enjoy that use it (some of the Final Fantasy games, Daggerfall, etc.). I just felt that Oblivion's voiced approach made the game feel much more immersive (despite the small number of voice actors, but more would be very nice), and I value that more highly than additional dialogue.
Spencey!

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:59 pm

Reading those, it seems most of you would deprive yourself of a game that is at least a great modding-platform than anything else over the most laughable reasons. Take a chill-pill plz k thx.

The only way I won't buy TES V is if I don't have a computer that can run it, or lack the money to buy it. Things that would "break" the deal for me would be fixed by mods.
Marcin Tomkow

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:22 am

?

Surely you must agree that MW on the Xbox was a low quality port. A good game,for sure, but a bad port.
Lucie H

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:35 am

I haven't played it. Can't argue in its favor. Just curious.
Prohibited

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:27 am

Surely you must agree that MW on the Xbox was a low quality port. A good game,for sure, but a bad port.

I played it on the xbox, and I didn't have issues with it.
Markie Mark

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:28 pm

If I die before it is released.
Danel

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:05 pm

I will most likely buy all TES games. Nothing would stop me really.
Verity Hurding

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:07 pm

Unless it was for the wii, a mobile device or the playstation 3 exclusively (which it will never be in that last case) I will buy it. Now i'm pretty late to this conversation, so i'm probably going to be a little redundant, but I just wanted to get my two - three cents in.

DRM would never work with an elderscrolls game like the OP simply mentioned. Mods and modding tend to screw with the files needed to make the game run normally, and intentionally or unintentionally messing up your game and having to reinstall it should not be an issue.

Pete Hines said in an old article with Gameasutra that they'd rather make a game that has a amazing features rather than a game that simply has a feature to add to the list of features, and he was kinda hinting towards multiplayer when he said it, so thats why I believe adding multiplayer to an elderscrolls game is something that won't happen. If they make a game based solely on mulitplayer, I don't know. I might buy it.

Argonian males already got shafted by getting the same sounding voice as a Khajiit. I personally never play as an argonian because I cannot relate to a lizard. Making them look more human is probably the wrong thing to do as I still can't relate to anything that looks like a lizard.
Anna Watts

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:44 pm

If someone gives it to me as a gift
Luis Reyma

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:24 am

1.If it has any form of multiplayer.

Why, you don't have to play it just let it stay there, i mean arena battles may be good multiplier option
Meghan Terry

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:16 pm

If someone gives it to me as a gift

I love this answer. You win the thread.
Ymani Hood

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:29 am

I probably won't buy it at first. If it's as messed up as Oblivion it won't be worth playing.

I'll just wait 2-3 years for someone like Oscuro to patch it up and THEN buy it.
helliehexx

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:10 am

I wouldn't pass it up, be there would be things that would turn me off like:

1. Oblivion's level-scaling
2. Lack of variety of weapons like Oblivion
3. Lack of spells in Oblivion from Morrowind

Or any of Oblivions flaws for that matter.
Ria dell

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:10 pm

Well almost full again, question is should there be a third thread of this kind or you think 2 was enough?
If you want a new one i'll ask a mod if i'm allowed to make one.
Bethany Watkin

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:37 am

Well almost full again, question is should there be a third thread of this kind or you think 2 was enough?
If you want a new one i'll ask a mod if i'm allowed to make one.

It seems kind of pointless imo, but if you want to, go ahead. :shrug:
Jhenna lee Lizama

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:59 pm

I can see no point in another thread. Most points have been covered and if you want to encourage and discuss improvements for the next game, there is a topic for that.
Robert Garcia

Previous

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion