What would make you NOT buy TES5? - Part 2

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:43 am

My reasons would be,

If it were multiplayer in anway

If they added guns. Why? Because If I want to shoot things I'm happy going to Fable2 Thank you.

If they attempt to make it anthing like other games.

I would like the TES games to keep paveing there own paths and not useing ideas from other games. It will eventually make it just not the same. In my opinion

Oh yes one more, if they make wherever it is to take place at Cliched fantasy, had enough of that with Oblivion.
Tanya Parra

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:10 am

I would not buy it if it had the Aqua Teen Hunger Force in it, even as cameos.
Amanda Furtado

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:24 pm

Reasons I'd never purchase the game:

1. MMORPG
2. No CS

Reasons I'd wait a year or so for mods to fix it:

1. Noticeable level-scaling
2. Compass Quest Arrows
Harinder Ghag

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:14 am

1. If guns appear. I'm fine with bowguns (oversized crossbow/gun hybrid weapon from Monster Hunter) but guns is kind of going too far. After they appear, a lot of things will become useless (e.g. armour, swords, bows, magic e.t.c) and this didn't turn out so well in Fable 2
2. If it becomes a PC exclusive because I wouldn't be able to run it on my computer
3. If it becomes a console exclusive.
4. If it trys using project Natal (microsoft's wii motion rip off). I don't want to be flailing my arms like a maniac to play it.
5. If the levelling problem is still there.
kiss my weasel

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:28 am

Useless garbage like DRM, severe copy protection, Games for Windows LIVE
Any form of multiplayer
Consolitis
Some sort of Online Social nonsense which uploads our stats and progress to the rest of the world so that little kids can brag to their classmates (sadly, after Dragon Age I fear that it'll be the new trend among single player games)
A Hollywood superstar to do voice acting of a character while there are 8 voice actors for the remaining 999999999 characters
Too obvious and meaningless level scaling (i.e. random thugs asking me pay up a trivial amount of money while they carry a fortune on themselves like Glass Armor)
Less skills, simplified things, removal of older mechanics
Small world
Linear quests, short main quest
Absence of development tools
In general, I'm out if you treat PC community like crap like Infinity Ward does with MW2.
Kristina Campbell

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:35 am

1. If guns appear. I'm fine with bowguns (oversized crossbow/gun hybrid weapon from Monster Hunter) but guns is kind of going too far. After they appear, a lot of things will become useless (e.g. armour, swords, bows, magic e.t.c) and this didn't turn out so well in Fable 2

If our history is of any indication, it should be something like "A thousand years after guns appear, a lot of things like some kinds of armour, swords and bows will become useless or replaced with better stuff." - though I doubt magic ever will. :)
Johanna Van Drunick

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:23 am

Seeing it my way, muskets would not be a problem, I mean.
1. They are inaccurate, it's not like they would be adding precision sniper rifles or anything.
2. Reloading a musket takes a long time, an early rifle even longer. And you would have to stand still to reload it.
3. They penetrate armor and shields, that is a huge advantage, but why would they penetrate fictional armor like ebony, glass and daedric, or magical armor, artifacts...?

Guns would not ruin the game for me, but they would have to change a lot in the setting to make it fit, just adding guns would be silly, and it's not worth the changes that it would need.
Kayla Oatney

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:23 am

3. They penetrate armor and shields, that is a huge advantage, but why would they penetrate fictional armor like ebony, glass and daedric, or magical armor, artifacts...?

i thought muskets could hardly penetrate armor; in fact, i thought crossbows did a better job doing that (or maybe i was thinking of early pistols...?)

either way, yeah, Guns + TES = :yuck:

:turtle:
Peetay

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:41 pm

2. Reloading a musket takes a long time, an early rifle even longer. And you would have to stand still to reload it.

For the first guns (the ones Chinese developed) you often needed two or three people to reload it, and it had to be propped up against the ground to fire.

Though the Korean Hwacha was awesome. Imagine a rain of rocket arrows, like a kind of medieval version of the famous Russian BM-13 Katyusha. Yay. There's a Mythbusters video of it somewhere on YouTube, if you want to see it in action.

The one thing which guns (actually, their bigger brethren, cannons) make obsolete pretty quickly isn't armour or swords or battlefield tactics - it's classic medieval castles. But then, with Levitation availablee, those shouldn't have even developed on Tamriel. If you can ignore the effect of Levitation on strategy and tactics for some cheap "familiar" visuals, you can do the same with cannons.
Theodore Walling

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:48 am

Ah, but levitation disappeared sometime between the events of Morrowind and those of Oblivion.
Queen Bitch

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:31 pm

Ah, but levitation disappeared sometime between the events of Morrowind and those of Oblivion.

Yes! Everything makes perfect sense now! :nuts:
Steven Hardman

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:40 am

One word, SecuROM. As much as I love the Elder Scrolls games I don't want that malware on my computer. In fact I was given Fallout 3 GOTY as an early Christmas present and as much as I want to play it I still have yet to install it because it contains SecuROM. The mildest version of SecuROM mind you, but even the mildest version is still malware that dictates to me what programs I can run on my computer, which is unacceptable in my eyes. I won't install Shivering Isles for the same reason.

So a SecuROM protected TES5 means a no buy for me.
Fluffer

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:43 pm

well this thread probably thats why im writing this and not reading hahaha
Lovingly

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:10 am

For the first guns (the ones Chinese developed) you often needed two or three people to reload it, and it had to be propped up against the ground to fire.

Though the Korean Hwacha was awesome. Imagine a rain of rocket arrows, like a kind of medieval version of the famous Russian BM-13 Katyusha. Yay. There's a Mythbusters video of it somewhere on YouTube, if you want to see it in action.

The one thing which guns (actually, their bigger brethren, cannons) make obsolete pretty quickly isn't armour or swords or battlefield tactics - it's classic medieval castles. But then, with Levitation availablee, those shouldn't have even developed on Tamriel. If you can ignore the effect of Levitation on strategy and tactics for some cheap "familiar" visuals, you can do the same with cannons.

I would imagine that some of the castle defenders have dispel spells. if a bunch of people levitate to "scale" the wall then once they get about 30-40 feet up hit em with a dispel and watch them hit the ground hard. with magical attacks come magical countermeasures.
Elizabeth Lysons

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:28 am

If it turns out to have the same levelling system as Oblivion, i.e. having to grind skills, then I would seriously consider not buying it.
Paula Ramos

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:46 pm

I'm going to skip irrational fears like exclusivity, no mods, no first person, etc. There's no chance in hell that Bethesda would consider such things.

It's not the things that would obviously lead to Bethesda making less money that you need to worry about, it's the things that they might think would lead to them making more. For instance, I wouldn't buy the game if:

- The amount of initial content was cut short so that Beth could charge us for DLC. I hate paying for an incomplete game, but this kind of thing happens all the time. If they released TESV with fewer guilds, etc, than Oblivion, then announced later that, "hey, you can still get just as much content, you just have to buy the DLC" that would be a big red flag for me.

- If the game incorporated more hand-holding to gain a wider audience. It's been happening for a while now, and it will probably continue to happen. It's hard to get specific on this, but there's an invisible line here, and if Bethesda crosses it, us hardcoe fans will leave (and just stick with modded MW and OB until something better comes along). TES fans want to feel lost in a foreign world. We want to feel that there is danger around every corner. If the game holds our hands so much that those feelings disappear, then there's no point.

And on a more personal note:

- If the game world becomes full of damage-sponge enemies when you are high level. I hate enemies like albino rad scorpions. By all means, make the enemies more dangerous. Make them faster. Make them deadlier. But for God's sake, don't make them damage sponges that simply take forever to kill. There's nothing FUN about tapping the attack button for fifteen minutes against some dumb-as-a-brick AI that just bum rushes you forever. That's not entertaining. A dangerous enemy encounter should feel suspenseful, it shouldn't feel like a chore. I should want to avoid enemies out of fear of the treat they pose, not because I see them and have the feeling "Oh God here we go again...".
YO MAma

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:54 am

- If the game incorporated more hand-holding to gain a wider audience. It's been happening for a while now, and it will probably continue to happen. It's hard to get specific on this, but there's an invisible line here, and if Bethesda crosses it, us hardcoe fans will leave (and just stick with modded MW and OB until something better comes along). TES fans want to feel lost in a foreign world. We want to feel that there is danger around every corner. If the game holds our hands so much that those feelings disappear, then there's no point.

And on a more personal note:

- If the game world becomes full of damage-sponge enemies when you are high level. I hate enemies like albino rad scorpions. By all means, make the enemies more dangerous. Make them faster. Make them deadlier. But for God's sake, don't make them damage sponges that simply take forever to kill. There's nothing FUN about tapping the attack button for fifteen minutes against some dumb-as-a-brick AI that just bum rushes you forever. That's not entertaining. A dangerous enemy encounter should feel suspenseful, it shouldn't feel like a chore. I should want to avoid enemies out of fear of the treat they pose, not because I see them and having the feeling "Oh God here we go again...".

I agree.

There must be a way to incorporate hardcoe elements and still appeal to the casual gamer. Since that is what most companies are trying to do these days. I mean face it, a casual gamer isn't going to put 200+ hours into gameplay. And they are not going to explore everything in Cyrodiil, if they do than they cease to be casual. So there should be an amount of surface fluff for them, and for us that actually play the game day in and out there are plenty of things (like crafting or politics or whathaveyou) that we have access to. Something like that. There must be a way to wrap it all into one package.
Rachel Cafferty

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:40 pm

That is due to Oblivion's cities being separate from the game map. You can't levitate because you are not supposed to levitate over city walls.
Georgine Lee

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:33 am

I would imagine that some of the castle defenders have dispel spells. if a bunch of people levitate to "scale" the wall then once they get about 30-40 feet up hit em with a dispel and watch them hit the ground hard. with magical attacks come magical countermeasures.

This falls pretty flat when they just levitate outside your range, above your castle, and rain death from above on you. Defending against it would need a different castle design, which is the whole point.
N3T4

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:41 am

If they no longer offered a Third Person playing perspective, removed the ability to play as numerous races, took away the ability to play as a mage, limited the spell lists significantly, or voided the ability to advance to a leadership role in the guilds, or became turn based in combat I likely would not buy it. If all interaction with Oblivion and Daedra was removed I MIGHT not buy it.

I'd like to see the game have a console couch co-op mode, but the absence of this, a thing which the last two installments didn't have anyway, would probably not be sufficient to make me bypass the game entirely.

Alberto Aguilera

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:34 am

Two aspects of design would absolutly stop me from buying the game:

-It turned out to be a Bioware game: Story driven, no exploration.

-If it appears that it has become too console-ified. It's getting dangerously close the way it is.

Of course, if it were to be released as a console only game, I obviously wouldn't buy it...I don't ahve any console, nor do I plan to get one.
Lexy Corpsey

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:40 pm

Two aspects of design would absolutly stop me from buying the game:

-It turned out to be a Bioware game: Story driven, no exploration.

-If it appears that it has become too console-ified. It's getting dangerously close the way it is.

Of course, if it were to be released as a console only game, I obviously wouldn't buy it...I don't ahve any console, nor do I plan to get one.

What do you mean by "console-ified"?
Anthony Diaz

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:27 am

I am going to go out on a limb and say that those who are declaring they wouldn't buy it if it had any form of multiplayer are disingenuous, and are really just trying to bully a prefference. If the game had some form of multiplay or co-op OPTION but left the player the ability to live out a single player experience and had a well developed story, only the most obstinate of creatures would actually refuse to buy it on that account.

I agree with all who said the current level scaling is a major problem. Though I think that fits better in the category of things that need fixing, rather than things that would make the game no longer viable for sale.
Darren

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:45 am

I say multiplayer is okay, as long as theres no more than three people at a time playing.
cosmo valerga

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:42 am

Multiplayer is fine as long as the game is completely 100% not negatively affected. In other words, if I can play single player and the game mechanics, world, depth, story, etc... are unaffected by multi, and for all intents and purposes I am unaware the multi-option exists (figuratively) then go for it. But I worry about multi-player because it's kinda like fast-travel and compass-arrows in a way. They're "optional" in a sense, but the programers develop around them, and dumb down the game based on your ability to fast travel, and never getting lost. But if they can program the single-player game without having to work around the multi-player then great.
stevie critchley

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion