what happend to ireland

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:14 am

I imagine it was like the potato famine, but worse. The cabbage and potatoes turned into mutants, and began attacking the Irish folk. Why? Because mutant potatoes is much more creative than just dropping a bomb. :P
Catharine Krupinski

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:15 am

From my understanding of Irish history, there never really was a large Irish Merchant Marine, and their navy, operated 1 ship consistently at least until the 1960's. The running joke of the era was that the Irish Naval Service, was always home for tea. With that being the case, I doubt that there would be much merchant, or naval traffic from Ireland, even during the pre-war period.

Oh I see.

Well in any case they probably just died from isolation then since they can't travel reliably and they aren't the craftiest of folk. But then again perhaps Ireland turned into like some giant wild island filled with tribal warfare then, that makes sense.
James Rhead

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:47 am

Well in any case they probably just died from isolation then since they can't travel reliably and they aren't the craftiest of folk. But then again perhaps Ireland turned into like some giant wild island filled with tribal warfare then, that makes sense.

We aren't the craftiest folk?

Ever heard of Yeats or Joyce? Two Irishmen recognised as arguably the greatest poet and writer of all time respectively. Or Shaw, Heaney or Beckett? Three Nobel Prize winners.

How about the physicists Tyndall or Dalton?

If you want to talk about craftiness particularly, how about the Irish Republican Army who in the 1920s, fought the most powerful Empire in existence to a stalemate, and did the same again to an admittedly weaker Britain in the 70s, 80s and 90s?

You're talking about us being dumb and you probably have either "Yes we can" or a confederate flag on the back of your pickup truck.
candice keenan

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:27 am

Well, the irish folk would be isolated for a few years first, since all the ship would be destroued or damaged... i didnt see any large vehicles, such as a ship or a plane in he fallout universe.
Lisa Robb

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:14 am

Assuming Ireland and the UK are friends, nukes would come to the UK too, so ireland may have had some nukes.

Of course some countries maintained INTACT.
josh evans

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:08 am

Assuming Ireland and the UK are friends, nukes would come to the UK too, so ireland may have had some nukes.

Of course some countries maintained INTACT.

I doubt that there would be any friendship between the UK and the Irish Republic...as we are to assume that there was no major disarmament of the IRA. Also, I doubt that a Britain with a 50's mentality would have withdrawn it's forces from Northern Ireland.
JESSE

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:27 am

why is everyone speculating what happened to ireland, australia,etc... these countries have never been mentioned in fallout canon, so how could you all know what happened to it, to world has gone to sh*t, doesn't that say enough??
Marion Geneste

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:29 pm

why is everyone speculating what happened to ireland, australia,etc... these countries have never been mentioned in fallout canon, so how could you all know what happened to it, to world has gone to sh*t, doesn't that say enough??

Well, Moriarty is a first generation Irishman, so...you're wrong!
Eibe Novy

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:54 pm

I think that most, if not all nations would have gotten nuked.

Take my home nation of Denmark. Its basically the size of a peanut on the map and theres only 5 million inhabitants. You have more people in NY.

However after the cold war ended we learned that the USSR had planned a minimum of 7 nuclear detonations on Danish soil, followed up by polish amphibious troops who were to come in and mop up any resistance. Basically those 7 nukes would wipe out Denmark as I know it. There would be nothing left worth mentioning.

Ireland would prolly have gotten a quite a few nukes too. Just for good measure. .) Too bad about the Irish Whiskey though. I luv paddy's.. And Yea I know Jamersons is way better but Paddy's is just ... Irish.
Deon Knight

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:20 am

Alternative history/Future speculation can be quite fun. Its about Changing a few assumptions, and drawing straight lines.

In Fallout's case, we take the world of the 50's - 50's Mentality, politics, etc, and draw a line on what could have happened. Add in what facts we do know, and I think we come up with a viable picture of what could have happened.

After all - This is probably how the developed the canon in the first place.
Eddie Howe

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:45 am

Also, it is quite likely that an Ireland of the Fallout Universe, would be fairly poor, as Ireland didn't really experience an economic boom until the 90's/00's.
Laura Richards

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:10 am

Ok so here's my idea/suggestion for what happened to Ireland. While everything was happening, Ireland was cut off from the world and probably nuked? At least Northern Ireland would have been, possibly since it was/is controlled by England. Then over the years, it just became a wasteland with people unable to maintain buildings and such, and they just had to go on living with their mutated sheep and killer potatoes!? :P Seriously though, they probably just ended up being isolated?
John N

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:32 am

Hmmmm...here's an interesting possibility: The Post-War Republic of Ireland is ruled by The IRA, while Northern Ireland is ruled by the Royal Ulster Constabulary Remnant.
Kyra

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Hmmmm...here's an interesting possibility: The Post-War Republic of Ireland is ruled by The IRA, while Northern Ireland is ruled by the Royal Ulster Constabulary Remnant.

Hmn... They would be fighting. Alot.
Antony Holdsworth

Previous

Return to Fallout Series Discussion