what happend to ireland

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:33 am

i was wondering if ireland got hit by the nukes of if it survived the war
Misty lt

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:02 am

It likely got hit by atleast one, even if it did not, it woiuld have suffered just like the rest of the world did from the after effects of the bombs. Concidering that I can't see them not getting hit, possible English bases.
Chris Jones

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:30 pm

There's another thread called "The rest of the World?"

Any questions regarding "What happened to ______" should be answered in that thread.

The short of it is that either Ireland got hit, recived a lot of radiation, or suffered the effects of what seemsto be a Nuclear Winter shortly after the bombs fell.
JUDY FIGHTS

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:58 am

There has been some speculation that Ireland was annexed by the United Kingdom, and that the IRA retaliated with dirty bomb against London. Though, no one knows for sure....so at this point it's all just speculation.
Tiffany Carter

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Probably. Even if it wasn't, the entire world was affected by nuclear war. If Ireland wasn't bombed, it would've had one of the worst affects, even worse than direct bombing. Similar to what would've happened to Antarctica; since almost all the world was nuked, the waves from the blast make the waters in the ocean go much faster, and the word tsunami is taken to a whole new level. All continents not hit by bombs were most likely bombarded and flooded with tons of water and waves. It would most likely be swallowed by the ocean. So you best hope Ireland was hit.
BethanyRhain

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:51 pm

Also, there was a reference in Fallout Tactics that England sunk...so it is possible that Ireland also sunk below the waves as well. (Remember much of Tactics is up for debate...so take it for what you will).
kiss my weasel

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:51 am

This is the first time ausir hasn't posted the default message he has prepared, but Ireland was probably hit people underestimate how many nuclear weapons they were at the height of our own cold war, and add heightened tension and another 80 years people are only building more nukes, and more powerful nukes.
Flesh Tunnel

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:08 pm

The whole world was nuked.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_intro:

In 2077, the storm of world war had come again. In two brief hours, most of the planet was reduced to cinders. And from the ashes of nuclear devastation, a new civilization would struggle to arise.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_2_intro:

The earth was nearly wiped clean of life. A great cleansing, an atomic spark struck by human hands, quickly raged out of control. Spears of nuclear fire rained from the skies. Continents were swallowed in flames and fell beneath the boiling oceans. Humanity was almost extinguished, their spirits becoming part of the background radiation that blanketed the earth.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Jesse_Heinig, one of the FO1 designers:

One of the recurring themes of Fallout is that life will find a way to continue, albeit often under great struggles and with violence and suffering. It's not unreasonable, given this notion, to presume that U.S. remnant forces remain in parts of China, just as remnant Chinese elements are in the U.S.; and that other countries are similarly ravaged and war-torn, with survivors crawling out of the rubble. If Australia was untouched by the war, for instance, then presumably after 200 years they would have projected their powerful industrial presence and comparatively high population all around the globe to take control of any remaining resources, and the Enclave would find itself locked in a war with the Aussies. It's likely that some underpopulated parts of the third world escaped the full brunt of nuclear devastation, but since these would have been low-population unindustrialized areas anyway, they are not exactly in a position to take advantage of their "good fortune," such as it is. (I don't imagine that many nukes were wasted on the Sahara.)

The http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_13:_A_GURPS_Post-Nuclear_Adventure_timeline by Scott Campbell and Brian Freyermuth (from which all other Fallout timelines in existence are derived):

Other countries, seeing the US's missiles on their way, fire their warheads as well. What ensues is two hours of nuclear bombardment upon the earth's surface.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Emil_Pagliarulo, FO3 lead designer:

Tenpenny Tower was slightly inspired by Fiddler's Green, the skyscraqer in George Romero's Land of the Dead. But it was also an opportunity to introduce another character from outside the U.S. Allistair Tenpenny came to the Capital Wasteland from Great Britain to seek his fortune, so that alone tells you that the U.K. was also hit in the war. And if he came to U.S. to succeed, that says a lot about how screwed up Europe must be. So we just allude, a little bit, to the state of the rest of the world.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Tim_Cain, one of the main creators of Fallout:

Killzig: What ever happened to the catholic church in the FO universe?

Tim Cain: I think it was nuked - the vatican that is.

Paula Rose

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:17 am

Seriously Ausir, do you have that saved somewhere for special occasions like this?
Alex Vincent

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:19 am

Yup, this and my "divergence" post.
Mr. Allen

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:51 am

:tops: I figured you did.
Penny Courture

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:14 am

After I typed the answer to the same question a few times, I figured it's better to just copypaste the same one each time.
Ladymorphine

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:25 am

I know it's not canon, but I'm amazed that the Fallout Tactics reference to "England Sinking" was not included. Mind you, the statement about the Ghoul in question is written in a manner, that it could also refer to the fact that his company crapped out, though I still believe it's more "apocalyptic" to say that Old Albion is now below the waves...
Gen Daley

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:24 am

After I typed the answer to the same question a few times, I figured it's better to just copypaste the same one each time.

good thinking... :)
Portions

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:49 am

dude i hope Ireland didnt get nuked too bad that would svck im going there for spring break :swear:
scorpion972

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:59 am

If England sank, where did Tenpenny with his accent come from?

Or Colin for that matter?

This seems to be another bit of lore that has been discarded.
Mark

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:53 am

If England sank, where did Tenpenny with his accent come from?

Or Colin for that matter?

This seems to be another bit of lore that has been discarded.

Though Moriarty does sound as if he's Irish, Tenpenny on the other hand does not sound English, or British for that matter. In my mind, his accent sounds more like that of a very refined gentleman from New England, or how Hollywood stars were trained to speak(An interesting mix of Anglo-American accents) during the Golden Era of Film.
jasminε

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:09 pm

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Allistair_Tenpenny
Tenpenny was born in 2197 in what used to be known as England. He somehow managed to cross the Atlantic Ocean and came to the Capital Wasteland to seek his fortune. Eventually he became quite rich, took over a pre-War hotel and named it after himself.

Kim Bradley

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:06 am

Remember that Simpson's episode in which Bart and Milhouse discover that old u.s air force orientation film ?

"The following information is classified. In the event of a nuclear war with the soviet union, the first wave of u.s and allied nuclear warheads will be fired at the city of Springfield to calibrate the targeting systems for the follow-up strike on the soviet union" :D

Then the colonel shoots the camera man for reasons of secrecy and national security" :lol:

Maybe thats what happened to Ireland. :D
jason worrell

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:43 am

Though Moriarty does sound as if he's Irish, Tenpenny on the other hand does not sound English, or British for that matter.

But he is stated to be British in-game. Maybe he's lived in the US for so long that he lost his original accent.
priscillaaa

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:19 pm

as rest in world nukes fall in ireland too, at least one so as rest of world it was chaos
AnDres MeZa

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:52 am

Isn't/wasn't the condition in general worse in Europe? Like didn't they run out of Resources (oil, food, water etc.) before the bombs fell and started fighting because of that? I think i remember reading it on fallout.wiki or somewhere.
Ricky Rayner

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:41 am

I think my Location answers you're question ;)
By the way, does this mean we can get get an Ireland DLC? =O I'd love to assert my evil will to my home muahaha! *Ahem*
James Hate

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:45 am

Yes it did get hit because there are no Irish ships that visit the Capitol Wasteland.

Plus I'm sure the Enclave invaded and conquered the whole of Ireland and stole all of their booze and sheep.
James Baldwin

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:23 am

Yes it did get hit because there are no Irish ships that visit the Capitol Wasteland.

From my understanding of Irish history, there never really was a large Irish Merchant Marine, and their navy, operated 1 ship consistently at least until the 1960's. The running joke of the era was that the Irish Naval Service, was always home for tea. With that being the case, I doubt that there would be much merchant, or naval traffic from Ireland, even during the pre-war period.
Kaley X

Next

Return to Fallout Series Discussion