Worst fallout yet(?!)

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:02 pm

No, it most certainly is not. This game goes from being an 8 to about a 3 with the broken control scheme currently in place. The, and I stress on THE most fundamental part of a computer game is the ability to actually control it, and if you can't do that, then as a computer game it's completely and utterly useless, isn't it?

Kirsty Collins

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:04 pm

The reality is that the majority of the current fanbase started with Fallout 3 - myself included. I won't hide or deny that; nor do I feel that any individual should feel ashamed or be shamed for entering a series. It's bad enough that even within the TES community there are fans who draw lines in the sand and put themselves on a pedestal because they started with Arena.

With that said, I feel that there were elements of Fallout 1/2 that Fallout 3 harped and played on well. It demonstrated that they kind of understood what the [censored] they were doing. Things like speech checks, perk checks, and overall character development.

It's disappointing to see that the features I felt they did correctly in Fallout 3 are a shell of themselves in Fallout 4. Feels like a lot of sacrifices were made, as far as options go, in order to include a voiced protagonist. I love voiced protag's as much as the next guy, but I feel like people need to really address the now limited nature of quest mods, and the apparent lack of obvious perk checks. Some guy was telling me perk checks were still in the game, and that a dude with 10 strength / low charisma has better chances at threatening speech options vs a guy with 1 strength / high charisma - in this case it's a SPECIAL check, which is cool.

But, the actual perks themselves don't necessarily reinforce your character's expertise anymore. A gun nut should be able to open up additional dialogue with Arturo in Diamond City; or a character with the medic perk should be able to call out that caravan doctor as being an inept [censored] that may be faking his medicinal knowledge. Additionally, the lack of environmental perk/special checks is painfully obvious and deeply missed. It's the one thing I was HOPING would make it into TES, and its absence in Fo4 doesn't make me too hopeful that they'll ever do something like it for TES.

Jordyn Youngman

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:05 pm

I find that Jagged Alliance 2 works a lot better for one of the angles I was looking to enjoy Fallout 1 and 2 from. The whole roleplaying in a living world wasnt really there, which was the second angle I was looking for incase it turned out like TES and Modern Fallout. The whole idea of traveling around as a party of rough wastelanders taking advantage of turn based combat to its greatest effect allowing careful coordination of my leader player character and his band of fellow travellers was just...Not really there either.The companions were incredibly stupid, so much so that auto weapons were off limits because it was assured that they were going to unload a burst directly into the back of my character or his companions. I had Vic, Sulik, and Cassidy in my party, and I didn't really feel attached to any of them. They suffered a lot from the White Males Only problem, and I found the fact I had to get a mod to get their armour sets to show up on their character models extremely annoying. There was also a complete lack of control over how they fight, which ties into the combat system itself not having a lot of depth. With Small Guns skill being able to get to 100 very easily and then go beyond into superhuman levels of skill I was able to just use gun on eyes pretty much every time. Fallout 1 was even worse, since a couple of hours in I had a .223 pistol and a hour after that I had Power Armour, which were such horribly overpowered equipment that I never felt in danger from anything.

Jagged Alliance 2 however has almost all of those problems solved. Theres a wide variety of characters to choose from, they all have personality and interactions with eachother, there is direct control of each member of your party meaning that you can actually use tactics instead of using gun on eyes, and for that matter none of my troops were ever superhumans able to land a pistol shot into a mans eye at 50-100 meters. The game had a lot of content to it, it wasn't a mere 6 hours long like Fallout 1, and tying into the whole no superhumans thing I actually had to use thought to solve engagements with careful cover, supression, and flanking instead of standing in the open and making the same few clicks to solve all of my problems the same way.

People talk about how Fallout 1 and 2 are some sort of gift from the heavens and is pure perfection, but I just see a game that is only good because its old, and with other games even in the 90s doing a lot of what it did a lot better.

Ebou Suso

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:05 pm

I can play Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game, Fallout 2: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game, Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas for another 20 years.

I don't hate open world RPG video games. I love playing them more than video games that are linear, but I also enjoy playing video games that have a lot of stories to be told in their NPC's and quests.

e.Double

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:27 pm

I found the heavy and easily available use of tech slightly detrimental to this title -

Every raider group has multiple MARK turrets, we se large fleets of vertibirds, an airship, Liberty Prime (again, ugh), teleportation(lol), Institute tech, and so on.

At least in Fallout 2 when factions had Lazer weapons it was explained (Salvatores trading with Enclave).

The lack of Slavers and slavery is concerning considering it has been present in every FO title.

The dialogue for obvious reasons. I could easily go on
Jessica Colville

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:57 pm

Fallout 3 had one of the best playspaces out of any Fallout game, that's irrefutable. However, Fallout 4 has a lot of great refined details and varied playspaces. There are a lot of great NPC settlements already in the game, and creating your own network on top of it adds to the game's longevity. The introduction of a new Faction (Minutemen) to the picture made picking a side really difficult to me. For a long time, I have been Pro-Brotherhood, but now, with the exception of one faction, there are pros and cons to each of the factions that make that final decision the hardest.

Crafting a signature armor and weapon is one of my favorite features out the game. It turns my experience into an exciting journey that when I do something big, it feels more significant because I did it with my own kit, and not some hobbled together gear.

Fallout as a series holds a special place to me, as you progress from trying to survive, to "Who's next," as your skills and equipment advance.

kevin ball

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:27 am

The GECK allows you to make quests and new npcs. It can be a blank slate...

If there wasn't so much hype or a long wait people would like the game better. People were expecting a miracle and got a normal fallout game. It is as simple as that.
Isabella X

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:09 am

Yes I have made a few quests with the GECK for Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. The GECK does bring me pleasure when I create my own quests.

Alex [AK]

Post » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:10 am

this is for real? urgh! :brokencomputer:

Already watch, and yes, the ending sux, but not bethesda′s fault. Recalls the launch of F3? The fans do not want an end to the history, nor care about quality of it.

Jessica Colville

Previous

Return to Fallout Series Discussion