New Vegas compared to Fallout 4

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:04 pm

I wish he could a companion. He could continue being a heartless merc or you can reform him.

House gives you Benny backstory if you ask. The memory den stuff was very well done( best of the MQ imo).

D IV

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:17 pm

I feel the Memory Den functions should have been used for more quests, but hopefully it makes it into the DLC.

Laura Samson

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:35 pm

I would just like to say that the conversation earlier about the Courier somehow not knowing about the NCR is dumb. EVERY RPG has the PC being totally ignorant of the world around them, despite them having lived in it forever. Devs "HAVE" to do that because of new players who may not know all the lore and need to be spoonfed so they understand whats going on.

Even Skyrim lets you ask "who da heck in Talos!" when everyone knows who Talos is.

Bird

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:10 am

I tried a really big amount of time longer for just to find out why they did that and if i possibly dismissed something. The truth was a bit hard in the end.

The main story in F4 is possibly a bigger problem then some here seem to realize. On the first view it might look adapted from the F:NV one, but the difference is that you are a courier (see edit) in Fallout NV - how many of you are this? And because NOBODY is that (ups-drivers don′t count :P ) you can easily develop your character while playing.

In F4 you are a father/mother of a child in a household. And i expect that a ton of players are in this situation. That means you put the player into a role he already is in real life, but then don′t allow him to act like he wants or already does and furthermore you don′t even allow him to evolve like he would like. I am a father of 2 childs, and if i would see my town get nuked, then i get frozen against my will, unfrozen just for to see my wife getting shot and my childs abducted and then frozen again....i would not leave this vault later just for scrap my old household - instead i would run with blood red eyes through the wasteland killing everybody who does not give me an information in about 10 seconds wtf happened. For me the whole story is a nonsense farce as no advlt with children would ever act this way. Not a single line of all these conversations framents the game offers would have ever left my own mouth.

This is not the only problem i have with the game, but it was a big one already some minutes after start. I already know my role because i have it in real life, but the game forces me to behave like a ret ard.

F:NV gives you an absolute implausible role, but it works because nobody already has the situation the courier has and you can start to develop yourself from there. And then again F:NV offeres enough options in dialogues that allow me more often to hit sentences i would have said for myself.

This text is only for the role and for the conversations, missions follow later when we hit that point.

For me F:NV is clearly the winner as it offers enough viable options for to find my own words in the replies offered.

edit:

The courier has no amnesia (just checked back) but that makes no difference to my line of arguments.

Carlos Rojas

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:01 pm

No you are not.

Its been confirmed several times the courier does not have amnesia.

pinar

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:12 pm

Well. Be that as it may, apparently, F4 wasn't made for your "hardcoe" fallout friends.

My Community of Fallouters and TESers seem to be enjoying F4 and still playing it.

Sure we have our issues and criticisms, but, we're enjoying it and having lively discussions still on our forums.

Is there something different about your community?

I know mine tends to play ONLY these sort of games and never strays in to the fullout shooter games or in to punishingly hard games like the Souls series. About as far as we go is maybe SoM, DD or DA.

TASTY TRACY

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:34 pm

Again, even the devs stated the courier doesn't have amnesia, we see numerous examples of the courier not having amnesia throughout the game.
Kat Ives

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:00 pm

Again you still haven't explained why anyone would assume that every single person who ever comes to the Mojave, no matter their origin or experiences, must know about the NCR. That's because you can't but don't let that stop you. There is no reason people could not come to the Mojave and not know what the NCR is. Also again, the writers of New Vegas could not read the future so please stop introducing things that weren't written or known at the time as support for your criticisms. It's bizarre.

If you remove the Courier backstory from Lonesome Road there is no issue with any of the lines in the base game. It takes a certain degree of blind obstinacy, to put it charitably, to therefore attack previously written lines that could not have taken Lonesome Road into account as "bad" even though they made perfect sense and worked perfectly because of something written later by someone else that introduces problems with those lines.

Yes a lot of people would know about it. Not every single person who ever came to the Mojave would necessarily know about it which is the only way your objection to this line makes any sense. It's not about ignoring the line, the line exists, it's about you not having to pick the line if you don't want to and about the line not being an intractable part of the Courier's backstory that he doesn't know about the NCR. He might. He might not. It's up to you. Just as the line saying that the Courier had six with a woman in Montana does not establish as part of the backstory that the Courier has been to Montana and slept with a woman there.
Cameron Garrod

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:41 pm

So you guys are able to read 3 lines and then give up for a reply?

It does not make any difference to the rest of my text...the chance is low that anybody of you guys delivers packages for a government through a desert.

Bonnie Clyde

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Which is certainly true and the actual reason the line is included but even in universe there is nothing inherently nonsensical about a person of completely unknown origin not knowing about the NCR making this line of argument doubly stupid.
katsomaya Sanchez

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:46 am

I would actually have to agree with Cider that someone in the mojave not knowing about the NCR is beyond implausible.

The NCR has, or had, connections to every known civilized state or area in the post-war west-coast. Unless the Courier was a tribal from Wyoming, which we can see by his/her actions they are obviously not, there is zero chance for them to not know who the NCR is.

Jeffrey Lawson

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:41 am

Deserts are boring, and that makes NV boring.

Dorian Cozens

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:29 am

Somebody needs to go to an actual desert. Deserts are not boring, just a whole lot more subtle.

Everybody knows I'm not the biggest fan of NV, but I wouldn't call it boring, just confusing.

Add Meeh

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:10 am

They didn't improve at all. On the contrary, they slid the series further into the abyss. Unless of course one considers being a more fluid FPS game an improvement, which I don't.

Patrick Gordon

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:09 pm

I'm glad other people love the game and that it's very successful as, apparently there's a subset of Fallout fans (particularly those that "loved" New Vegas) that hate it.

Maybe it's a good thing that an entirely new generation of players have come in to replace them.

Eileen Müller

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:10 pm

Seriously...

Richard Thompson

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:03 pm

It must be really hot in a desert, and I would probably get really thirsty. That doesn't sound fun.

The desert in NV is not very enjoyable for me, and that takes away some enjoyment.

Kyra

Previous

Return to Fallout Series Discussion