Show us what you're working on #58

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:17 am

Revised version of the Flin: http://i.imgur.com/7jlaXkp.jpg

And an early version of the Cyrodilic Brandy: http://i.imgur.com/NmBVOTO.jpg http://i.imgur.com/g6tqq7s.jpg

I think that's not too bad for now, but the stone bottles might be much more challenging.

Johanna Van Drunick

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:49 am

So I kinda wasn't working on my housemod very much for awhile there, and I was updating my progress gallery even less, but I got back in the swing of things recently, and just now I finished making an new progress gallery cuz for some reason imgur wouldn't let me update my existing one. It's a pretty big update, so a lot has changed, and there are a lot more pictures because so many more details have been filled in. Here it is: http://imgur.com/a/aglso

It's getting pretty close to having the interiors done, and so I may do a beta release sometime soon. I might make a WIP/Beta thread soon to gauge how interested people might be in testing it. I'll probably see about doing that before I start on the exteriors.

Btw, since imgur wouldn't let me add or remove stuff from my original progress gallery, you can still check it out if you wanna see how much stuff changed here: http://imgur.com/a/YmRlT

Jason Rice

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:21 am

That flin looks epic. :D

Looking great. :D

Jessica Phoenix

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:26 am

I've already gushed via PM, but I have to publicly state how awesome your interiors are (and not just because I'm still squeeing over how well you used my resources). By the way, anyone can have the link to the Smith and Crafting resource if they ask. I'm just not publicly releasing it yet because it's still a work in progress and if I know you have it, I can send a heads-up if I re-do a messed-up mesh or something.

Rik Douglas

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:09 am

I'll take!

As well as any of your resources you wouldn't mind me using. If you haven't read it, my project is a little larger in scope than my little own Blender abilities can handle on their own!

Edit: Also, WangtorioJackson, that will forever be my house mod of choice when you release it... I don't care much for house mods, but this one looks mighty fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!

Another Edit: I realize that the house reminds me of Hearthfire for Skyrim -- but if it was actually someplace liveable! I can hardly wait for it to come out! x3

-__^

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:42 am

I urge everyone who is interested in real blacksmithing even a little bit to check it out. It's seriously some great stuff!

natalie mccormick

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:13 am

Lol thanks! I've heard that a few times now, that people who don't usually like house mods are interested in my housemod. Not sure exactly what it is about it, but I'd like to think it's because it incorporates realistic architecture and layout with rooms that have defined purposes, and the elegance and flow of it all.

And it could remind you a bit of Hearthfire because that's basically the only prior experience I have in (somewhat) custom designing a player home for a game. I was a console pleb until I saw the Light in the year of our Lord Gaben 2014 (lol jk) and built myself a gaming PC. If I had built one earlier in my life you can bet I would have started modding earlier too. But since I only had the limited tools made available to me with Hearthfire when I played Skyrim for the first time on my PS3, I did as much as I could with it, though I found it extremely lacking and very detached from a realistic architectural design. I guess I've been spending the last 4 and half or so years with that experience in my subconscious, and now I'm finally getting a chance to hearken back to it somewhat, except for hopefully improving on it in almost every way lol.

renee Duhamel

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:06 am

I find it funny, because I used my xbox 360 from 2011 to 2014 (almost my whole high-school life!), and it was my pride and joy for the time I had it. Then I got a laptop in late 2014 and have hardly touched my 360. The sad thing is, I probably plugged over 500 hours into Skyrim on there, and in one year on the computer, I've spent almost that much just installing mods on it XD I only started modding a little over a year after getting my laptop, too :3

Anyways, I think that the reason I like it so much is because it looks realistic in comparison to many other house mods. It's got decor, but it's not just "cramp and crowd everyone out!" but more tastefully placed. You done did a great job, dude. It's a fine-looking piece of code you got yourself there x3

Angus Poole

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:25 am

I know exactly the feeling! When I didn't have a computer at all and only had my PS3 to browse the web, I prided myself on how efficient I became at navigating the horrible web browser on the PS3, and with a freaking controller no less. When I look back at it, I have no idea how I did it and was so content with it for so long. I bought a PS4 shortly before I finally decided to take the plunge and build a PC (I had been thinking about it for a year or two prior) and ended up playing a grand total of 3 games on it, one borrowed from a friend, and the other two I recently traded in at Gamestop to buy Steam gift cards for the summer sale lol. The PS4's just sitting there collecting dust now. I'm really itching to play a modded Skyrim and to do a housemod for it too, but I decided to start my modding career with Morrowind because I had never played it before. About 80 hours into my first playthrough, I decided I wanted a housemod, and I looked around and didn't find any that suited my tastes, so I decided I'm just gonna have to make my own!

Ugh...... 10 months later and I'm not finished with either the housemod or the playthrough lol. But I'll get there.

natalie mccormick

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:42 pm

XD Definitely... oh well, I'm sure you'll finish it eventually, just not now eventually XD

And yes, console web browsers are... very user-unfriendly compared to a computer and mouse, but what can they do? :/

Leonie Connor

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:23 pm

I really noticed the Skyrim feel in that kitchen hearth—in a good way.

I'll tell you one thing that makes people respond well to your house mod is you have a natural tendency to texture everything (or pick resources) that look well worn, which makes a place look lived in—like a proper home. A lot of modders (and I'm not picking on anyone here, but some of the old modders were particularly bad about this) choose models with textures that look so shiny and new that they end up being uncanny. They's hand pick the prettiest, shiniest things without considering how well they fit together or the setting they're in. I would often tell people making new resources to dirty them up, because a hammer in Morrowind should not look like it came fresh out of Home Depot. A wardrobe in Morrowind should not look like Ikea furniture. Most of that stuff would be passed down for generations, because before the Industrial Revolution no one could afford to buy new stuff whenever they felt like it, not even the nobility.

You've chosen an aesthetic that speaks to people of old castles, and how the benches dip in the middle because they have been polished by a thousand asses and have been scraqed by people's keys. Most people never pay attention to that level of detail, but they subconsciously respond to it. I remember a story about a group that won an engineering showcase hands-down by building a full replica mill, because they'd recently learned the (obscure to anyone but an engineer) subject tribology, which is the study of how materials wear and tear, and spent the weekend detailing the place by sanding down all the steps on the staircase so they looked worn down from 1000 footsteps. Good video game design takes this into account, so it's part of the Elder Scrolls aesthetic, and Fallout, and Bioshock. To a player, it immediate says, "This is a good game," because it's an added level of realism.

Your aesthetic is also consistent, and you're right about the defined purposes helping make everything feel like it's there because it belongs there as well. It looks like you do what I do, which is imagine a character walking into the room and doing something in it. Where do they put down the hammer? What were they doing with it, and where would it naturally rest when they're done. I love laying out workspaces because I get to do a full simulation of someone crafting in my head (because I don't have access to a jewellery workshop anymore, so I only get my crafting fix on the computer these days).
Horror- Puppe

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:05 am

They look great but I feel like Flin could use a couple more vertical loops to make it more rounded. On the comparison screenshot you can see the edginess very strongly.

Also, If I were you, I would try to add those little balls near the neck and at the bottom as actual geometry, right now it is very prominent that it's just a map the instant you look at the edge.

~Sylvia~

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:12 am

Very nice! But why does Cyrodiilic Brandy have daedric letters on it?

Alina loves Alexandra

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:41 am

Probably because Dunmer use it on daily basis? :P

Though it would make more sense to use common letters, it's from Cyrodiil after all.

Samantha Wood

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:38 pm

Yes, that's true. I didn't want to go overboard with the polycount, though. Still, the Flin could use some more polys as the Cyrodilic Brandy has almost twice the amount (~900).

It spells "Imperial Import". I don't why, but I always thought that the Imperial beverages had a distinct non-Imperial look to them, which led me to believe that it might be bottled by Dunmer, especially noticable with the Skyrim version of the Flin. Also, as said, Flin and Cyrodilic Brandy seem to be only really popular in Morrowind. Flin doesn't even exist in Oblivion and the Cyrodilic Brandy is so unimportant that it doesn't even have a unique look. I guess that's just a matter of interpretation, though. It's difficult to make out details when the source material is of such low quality.

Bee Baby

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:13 pm

Ah, I see, it makes sense then.

It's just that Province: Cyrodiil will use both Brandy and Flin to a larger extent than Oblivion and it would be weird to see daedric labels there.

Nienna garcia

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:51 am

Yeah, the aesthetic and the lived-in feeling is very important to me. I'm glad it resonates with so many people. I dunno really about the well-worn feel though, I'm not sure I'm doing that consciously. I think it's more that I try to choose resources that aren't too far from the vanilla Morrowind aesthetic, so they fit in with that, and the Morrowind aesthetic itself is kinda worn down and polished by a thousand asses lol, or feet or hands or whatever. But either way I think it works out the same.

But you are absolutely right about that last part! I do exactly what you said you do, imagine a character being in the rooms and doing something, and asking myself what they would be doing and how, and with what. It's actually myself I imagine living it in, sort of. The manor gets its name from my character, Olohrin Voss, a character I use in a lot of different RPGs I've played, who has always sort of been my surrogate in the games I use him in. I always try to make him look somewhat like the ideal version of my self would be (though that was pretty difficult in Morrowind lol, i never got around to adding in any character appearance customization mods) and imagining that I am him.

Cat Haines

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:09 am

http://i.imgur.com/rwFKyeW.gif. Them peaches were as large as my character's head before.

STEVI INQUE

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:24 am

I think you need to fix the timing on that video, because the after picture flashes so fast I can see it without pausing the video and tracking it to the last frame.

Kevin Jay

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:40 pm

It looks great for the split second I can see it :P

Chris Cross Cabaret Man

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:29 am

Ah screw fancy graphics. It works for me when it loads as a .gif but not as a .gifv.

http://i.imgur.com/v3PG9MU.png - http://i.imgur.com/i7DDK3N.png

And since I'm back here anyway, here's http://i.imgur.com/LJNYn2H.jpg. It always bothered me that the one velothi house didn't have a matching interior with a usable loft area.

Marcin Tomkow

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:50 pm

It does look way better. The peach tree too! :P

JD FROM HELL

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:58 am

Alright, yes. It does look much better x3

Also, that interior is nice too!

Doniesha World

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:55 am

The gif worked for me as well... anyway, looks great, much better!

Aaron Clark

Previous

Return to III - Morrowind