Presuming Obsidian doesn't make the next Fallout...

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:50 pm

What developer would be an adequate replacement? I'd presume that BGS will be solely focused on TES for the next 5 years (after Fallout 4's dlc).
As far as I'm concerned it would be unpardonable to expect fans to wait until the 2020s for the next installment in the series, so there should be a game to bridge the gap.
Chavala

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:57 am

I don't really think there would be one TBH.

Bioware is garbage, I can't say I particularly enjoy CDPR's games as much as I can a Beth or Obsidian game, and most other "RPG" DEVs only make small, isometric, BG clones, which Bethesda wouldn't let a new Fallout be made in that style.

If it isn't Obsidian, its no one as far as I am concerned.

Though if I HAD to pick from the options, it would be CDPR over Bioware any day of the millennium, and probably any day of the next several millenniums.

Gracie Dugdale

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:41 am

Speaking just from a hypotethical perspective, none of these developers are in a place where they could take on the job right now nor are they necessarily "as" adequate as Obsidian on all areas. And of course not taking into account whether or not any of these would or could reiterate a Bethesda game, but just make "a Fallout game" in what ever mold that would be.

InXile

Larian

Harebrained Schemes

CDPR - though, they would probably [censored] up with gameplay...

Piranha Bytes might be able to do something if they really took a step up from where they are now. They are capable, but for some reason they're quickly sinking right now.

Facebook me

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:38 am

I can't really imagine any other developers being an adequate replacement. Obsidian had developers that really knew Fallout, so I can't imagine other studios having that same touch.

I'll agree with AwesomePossum that if a decision had to be made, then CDPR over someone like Bioware. If it was the same Bioware that made Dragon Age Origins, then I would be interested to see what time of game they'd make, but not the Bioware that we have today.

Edit: True though that InXile would make a fantastic Fallout game more in line with the originals though.

It'd be awesome if Zenimax contracted Obsidian to make a Fallout game with Fallout 4's materials and InXile to make a Fallout game using Wasteland 2's assets. InXile probably wouldn't rake in the money, but it would make more than cost to develop for sure.

Sudah mati ini Keparat

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:36 am

Arkane Studios

Samantha Jane Adams

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:33 am

I wouldn't mind inxile, they got Brian Fargo who was responsible for the first fallout.
The game doesn't HAVE to be in the style of the new fallout, I don't see any reason why they can't make a side fallout game that is set whenever in the old style isometric turn based variety.

Just don't call it fallout 5 and people should be happy, the new fps core fans don't have to play it if they don't like (like many of the older fallout fans are doing with fallout 4) and the old fans will be happy.

Just like fallout shelter is out and is nothing like any of the other fallout, I don't see how an isometric turn based one would affect sales of the franchise in a bad way if fallout shelter didn't.
Hannah Whitlock

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:21 am

I know this would never happen but I think Telltale could make something interesting after seeing what they did with Borderlands.
Tai Scott

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:12 am

I never would've even been remotely okay with this until I played TftB. Sure, the decisions mattered about as much as any other Telltale game (barely at all) but damn if they didn't craft a good adventure. Blew the actual Borderlands games out of the water in terms of story and characters.
JLG

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:55 am

InXile if not Obsidian.

CDPR is now wildly successful and working on their cyberpunk game, if it is handed off to another company other than Obsidian I would only be comfortable with Fargo for the setting.

Seriously though if Obsidian doesn't get another spin I am personally done with the franchise, I enjoy beths world building, but don't think they do the nuances of the series well at all. I also despise their approach to RPG mechanics, and the "always say yes" mentality.

They make a fun game, i find myself enjoying it, but its kind of like eating a veggie burger when you ordered a real hamburger.
Rex Help

Post » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:24 pm

Probably InXile, and seeing how InXile and Obsidian have a decent working relationship, it wouldn't surprise me if a couple Obsidian folk(Tim Cain, Sawyer) lent their time to the development, depending on projects of course.

luis dejesus

Post » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:35 pm

InXile, I'd be happy to see CDPR, but as others have pointed out they're probably pretty busy pushing Cyber Punk and after that's done they may want a break from the dystopian stuff.
Joie Perez

Post » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:49 pm

I'd be interested to see what Gearbox would do with it. Borderlands isn't Fallout by any means, but a lot of what I enjoy about the Capital Wasteland, Borderlands does very well indeed.

Polluted desert setting, black humour, a reasonable overarching story with a lot of side missions, fast gun play and some interesting tactical options. If nothing else it would be an interesting treatment of the subject.

Krystal Wilson

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:27 am

I'd go with CDPR, I think they're the most committed to making a high quality game and have the resources to do it, at least for a modern 1st/3rd person type of game.

I want to say InXile also, but Wasteland 2 while good, was flawed and not as good as I was hoping it would be, although if they had a larger budget and production capabilities they may be the best choice for a classic style isometric Fallout game.

Nicholas

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:24 am

Uh? If Obsidian can't or won't do a new game, then what is the point of handing it to someone else? Obsidian already worked on a game. Obsidian or go home.

Charity Hughes

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:47 am

Since when is Bioware garbage? They still make decent games, and have alot of experienced developers on their staff. The only problem is EA. If only Zenimax had bought up Bioware, what a world it would be.

Inol Wakhid

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:24 am

Larian Studios - They could probably pull off the setting rather well. They nailed that wild, quirky, and zany style of humor in Divinity:OS. They have done the best job of mixing quality RPG elements with quality RPG mechanics in a game that I have not seen the likes of in some time.

CDPR - Not entirely sure but they might would be a solid candidate. I have no doubt they would keep true to the lore and themes of Fallout and also craft some very excellent stories. The same goes for their characters and factions, plus we would also get an in-depth and dynamic dialogue system.

Honestly, I would prefer Obsidian get another opportunity though. I love their Fallout image and I love the West Coast (California).

:)Colleenn

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:17 am

I agree with you on that, Akrabra, but Inquisition was just utterly terrible, in my personal opinion. From the sanitized world, MMO-styled quest quality and grinding, generic fantasy story full of fantasy clichés, and the worst offense, the combat.

The only Bioware game that I could not push myself to fully complete.

Jacob Phillips

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:26 am

I think that is the problem for most people. I bought my last Bioware game when they released DA:O with that stupid guy at the campfire with a big questionmark over his head, nagging you to buy their Day 0 DLC.

Employs some good people? Sure. Trust the company? No.

Taylor Bakos

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:01 pm

Also, I have zero optimism with Patrick at the head of the DA team now. I disliked Inquisition but the world and lore was Gaider's creation. Origins was his doing - Patrick Weekes and his wife are hypersensitive twits that will cut any content if it can be viewed as offensive and non-inclusive. There was a recent interview with his wife which made me cringe at the future they have planned for Dragon Age.

Wayne W

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:47 am

Yeah Dragon Age without Gaider will not be the same. But Gaider is on a new IP and can make yet another amazing setting that they will milk dry! wuhu.

Charlie Ramsden

Post » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:17 pm

I remember reading in an interview that bioware said when working with EA, they were really hands off and let bioware do what they wanted and didn't impose anything on them.

So I'm pretty sure the direction of dragon age and mass effect were almost if not all of bioware's design choices.

The only real EA influence from my understanding is the pointless day 1 dlc, which doesn't make or break a game (yeah it's annoying and stupid, but dragon age 2 and 3 and mass effect 3s big problems and flaws were not day 1 dlc)
Jessica Phoenix

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:43 am

Since everyone who was good in the company left after Mass Effect 1 or so and they started churning out crap like Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, DAI, and worst of all, Dragon Age 2.

Breautiful

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:05 am

Money?

F4 is a big hit, and a new filler will also be a massive sucess.
SexyPimpAss

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:08 am

Mass Effect 2 is considered to be one of their best games ever up there with Dragon Age Origins and Baldurs Gate 2. Both by critics and fans. Anyway we disagree and all that.

But the point is to make great games right? Not make something only so so just to cash in.

Stay-C

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:16 am

Huh. I thought I was alone thinking this.

Allison C

Next

Return to Fallout Series Discussion