Prop: Bottlecap Mine/Nuka Quantum lamp

Post » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:44 pm

Hey all!

Since it was a lousy day in football (all my teams lost :facepalm: ), I spent some time finishing up a little project I've had in my head for a while. I've been wanting to make somthing to compliment the bobblehead and lunchbox from the collector's edition as a decoration for my den. So I decided to make a replica Nuka Cola Quantum bottle, and use the lunchbox as a base to hide the electronics and illuminate it from below. Turning the lunchbox into a bottlecap mine prop allowed me to add the wiring and switch without making them look out of place. The switch on the mine turns on the LED UV bulb under the bottle, and the red armed indicator on the mine lights up as well. Here's the end result.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy14/TerribleTwoRacing/DSCF1626.jpg

I've listed the items I used below, in case anyone wants to have a go at this themself. Credit for the label design goes to Arafinwe on the Replica Prop Forum, thanks and excellent work on the design!

• Mexican Coca Cola bottle (found in the international foods aisle at many grocery stores)
  • 8 1/2 x11 inkjet printable vinyl label sheet (found http://www.labelsbythesheet.com/items/water-resistant-vinyl-labels~inkjet-/list.htm. Vinyl makes a much better label than paper, as it can stretch to the bottle's curvature.)
  • Nuka Cola Quantum uncrimped bottlecap (found on eBay, seller also has regular Nuka Cola caps)
  • tonic water
  • liquid laundry detergent (Tide, OxyClean, and Clorox gel work well, I mixed a little of all three for this bottle)
  • E27 base 110VAC 48-LED UV bulb (found on eBay)
  • outdoor bulb socket with leads (found at Home Depot)
  • DPDT 125VAC toggle switch (found at RadioShack, SPST would also work)
  • 4mm 110VAC red neon lamp (found at RadioShack)
  • cheap 3 pin extension cord (You'll cut the female end off to make the lamp cord. Use a 3 pin so you can ground the metal lunchbox, just to be safe.)
  • roll of beige duct tape (found at WalMart)
  • wire coat hanger or similar to bend into antenna
  • misc. wire, grommets, solder, heatshrink, etc.

I'll post some more in-progress and finished pics once I figure out how to embed them. If I have some more time later I'll try to put together a how-to. I'm going to do a bit more work on weathering/distressing to get a more realistic look, but overall I'm happy with how this has turned out. Comments, suggestions, and questions are welcome. Enjoy!
Yama Pi

Post » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:11 pm

cool
Naazhe Perezz

Return to Fallout Series Discussion