Proposed travel system.

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:38 am

So here is my proposed fast travel system for TES: V, the problem with the current one is that you magically teleport to your location instantly without any stops along the way. This is not very exciting and feels lazy so here is my proposition. The character would travel along the map using a route, like a GPS, to his location instead of the simple travel strait across the map. Obviously you couldn’t travel through mountains. . Have the character move along the map along a route and along the way check for Random Encounters. You could even have fun with these and have goodies like Holy Hand Grenades.

Here's some examples of what I mean, sorry for the crappy MS Paint art.

Example one showing a basic map with a beggining and an end. This is before a route is made and shows some geological features.

[IMG]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac161/shdowhunt60/Fast%20Travel%20System/Fast_Travel01.png[/IMG]

Example two has a route, notice that the route moves around the mountains instead of going through them.

[IMG]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac161/shdowhunt60/Fast%20Travel%20System/Fast_Travel02.png[/IMG]

Example three shows the character moving through the route and getting stopped by an encounter:

[IMG]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac161/shdowhunt60/Fast%20Travel%20System/Fast_Travel03.png[/IMG]

I know my art isn't great, but I think this is something that will add a little more depth and excitement to the game as the current travel system is a bit... well crappy.
Devin Sluis

Post » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:14 pm

Do I see a fallout fan? Yes, I believe I do :)

It's not a bad idea -- it's not what I'd like the most, but it's one of the systems I think we could realistically expect.

edit: Btw, pro shoppin' skills, bro. ;)
james tait

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:03 am

It reminds me of...um...pokemon. :confused:
koumba

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:57 am

I voted for "hate it", though I don't really hate it, I just wouldn't like to have it I guess. The idea is good, I just don't think it fits with the Elder Scrolls, especially since one of the main points of the game is the exploration and attention to detail in the wilderness.

The system I would really like would be one that promotes exploration by giving drawbacks to being able to "teleport", and in some cases not allowing you up until a certain point.
Sophh

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:12 am

Do I see a fallout fan? Yes, I believe I do :)

I practically grew up on the series.

It's not a bad idea -- it's not what I'd like the most, but it's one of the systems I think we could realistically expect.

Anything better than the current travel system... it's so lackluster.

edit: Btw, pro shoppin' skills, bro. ;)

Actually, MS Paint :/

It reminds me of...um...pokemon. :confused:

It has more to do with Fallout than Pokemon, Pokemon doesn't stop your travel with random encounters and with Pokemon to use any sort of quick travel you have to have a pokemon that has that ability... Essentially it has nothing to do with pokemon lol.
Dona BlackHeart

Post » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:19 pm

I voted for "hate it", though I don't really hate it, I just wouldn't like to have it I guess. The idea is good, I just don't think it fits with the Elder Scrolls, especially since one of the main points of the game is the exploration and attention to detail in the wilderness.

The system I would really like would be one that promotes exploration by giving drawbacks to being able to "teleport", and in some cases not allowing you up until a certain point.

Keep in mind that you are not obligated to use it, you would still be able to to travel independantly from it.
Dagan Wilkin

Post » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:14 pm

Keep in mind that you are not obligated to use it, you would still be able to to travel independantly from it.

I know, but I would rather have a travel system also that I would like to use. I don't want to always run everywhere all of the time either.
Eibe Novy

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:29 am

Whats wrong with the good old morrowind travel system?
james kite

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:20 am

Whats wrong with the good old morrowind travel system?

Right. I agree that they should just go back to only having actual modes of transport to use for fast-travel.
I always wondered why skills didn't improve by fast-traveling in Oblivion, since your character makes the journey on foot or by horse. Did my guy really not encounter any enemies on his way from Leyawiin to Chorrol? Didn't he jump or repair his boots once, or make a single potion?
Don′t get me wrong, I think it would be silly for skills to improve by fast-traveling, and that not gaining any experience is a decent penalty for not taking your time on foot. It just doesn't make sense the way Oblivion handles it. At least when you have to take a boat or a Silt Strider, it makes sense you're not training anything, since you're just sitting on your sp***ed owl doing nothing.
Eric Hayes

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:18 am

This is so fallout. It is better than the current traveling system but remember, its optional :P.
Sammi Jones

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:38 am

If they don't have at least some form of fast travel, I simply won't play. Don't have the 4 hour stretches I used to in order to game. At best, I can get 2 hours on nights I'm actually able to play. I don't want to have to spend 20 minutes walking from point A to point B on a road I've walked dozens of times already where I'll purposely be avoiding encounters anyway.
Chloe :)

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:54 am

For comparison, here's a map with travel routes provided by the different travel systems (Silt Strider, Boat, Mages Guild and Propylon) as it was present in TES3:Morrowind. It got you close to your intended destination, but you had to 'plan ahead' as it were. Personally I found that system to be more immersive than the 'click-you're-there' from Oblivion.

http://images.uesp.net//9/99/FullMap_TravelRoutes.png

Your proposed system is more in line with how TES2:Daggerfall operated; where reckless/fast travel could result in being attacked by enemies if you slept out in the wilds.

Greetz,

Milt
I love YOu

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:01 am

Why not just eliminate fas travel and bring back the travel services? I don't know what the travel service for Skyrim could be, perhaps horse and carrage. (I.E. Silt Strider, Mages guild tele)
Alex Vincent

Post » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:50 pm

I was with you until the holy hand grenade bit. It's funny but not in the spirit of this series.
Mrs Pooh

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:57 am

This kind of travel AND a trasportation network AND horses

I will be satisfied
Ross Thomas

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:34 am

I was with you until the holy hand grenade bit. It's funny but not in the spirit of this series.

At least not until we find a white rabbit guarding a cave.
Ron

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:16 am

I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. I'd rather have Morrowind's travel system.
darnell waddington

Post » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:17 pm

I voted I hate it.... I don't really hate it but I'd prefer a the OB system + the MW system.

Basically if you don't care about immersion or just want to get somewhere quick travel just click on the map and teleport like in OB (this requires minimal amount of work). If you prefer immersion then you'll have to look for other means of transportation like you did in MW (more work but nothing overkill, a talented modder can do this in a 1-2 days). Best of both worlds IMO.
Alba Casas

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:49 am

I'd prefer Morrowind's travel system so far. I like that the best. But I'm sure it's possible to create a better one...
SaVino GοΜ

Return to V - Skyrim