PS3 GOTY edition - is it worth starting playing?!

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 9:06 am

Hiya,

I bought the GOTY edition several years ago, but never got round to playing it. I've been enjoying Skyrim on PC recently, and would like to explore more of the TES world and lore. The only thing holding me back is that it's on the PS3. The problems with Bethesda games on PS3 are well documented, and I unfortunately have first-hand experience of these issues with Fallout New Vegas.

I never got to complete New Vegas - it got to the point around 75hrs in where I could only play in 15 minute bursts before the framerate would crawl to a halt. Like, literally maybe a couple of frames a minute, let alone seconds :'( I even tried firing it up recently to install the latest patch, but my game save is still dead.

My question is: Is this likely to happen if I play Oblivion on PS3? As it is pretty much the same engine as F:NV & Skyrim (where the problems are apparently still happening) I guess it is.

Before someone suggests playing the PC version, I play both PC & PS3 games on my 42" hdtv with either the Dualshock or x360 pad, so mouse and keyboard isn't an option, and I've read that it's not possible to use the 360 controller on the PC version. Also, I svck playing games with keyboard and mouse ;-) (as an aside - why do games companies do this?! Oblivion, Mass Effect etc were released on x360 so why not include support for the pad in the PC version too!?)

Thanks,

xTx
Mrs shelly Sugarplum

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 1:55 am

You can use the 360 controller on the PC version of Oblivion. The issue is the controls are not mapped correctly, but it is an easy fix if you want to take the time. Scroll about halfway down

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Controls

Oblivion is a fun game, the only issue that you will notice is the Level Scaling in the stock game is, well, not well implemented. There are a few mods out there that address the balance and scaling issues with that game. Of course, these mods are only for the PC version.
jeremey wisor

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 11:38 pm

Hiya,

I bought the GOTY edition several years ago, but never got round to playing it. I've been enjoying Skyrim on PC recently, and would like to explore more of the TES world and lore. The only thing holding me back is that it's on the PS3. The problems with Bethesda games on PS3 are well documented, and I unfortunately have first-hand experience of these issues with Fallout New Vegas.

I never got to complete New Vegas - it got to the point around 75hrs in where I could only play in 15 minute bursts before the framerate would crawl to a halt. Like, literally maybe a couple of frames a minute, let alone seconds :'( I even tried firing it up recently to install the latest patch, but my game save is still dead.

My question is: Is this likely to happen if I play Oblivion on PS3? As it is pretty much the same engine as F:NV & Skyrim (where the problems are apparently still happening) I guess it is.

Before someone suggests playing the PC version, I play both PC & PS3 games on my 42" hdtv with either the Dualshock or x360 pad, so mouse and keyboard isn't an option, and I've read that it's not possible to use the 360 controller on the PC version. Also, I svck playing games with keyboard and mouse ;-) (as an aside - why do games companies do this?! Oblivion, Mass Effect etc were released on x360 so why not include support for the pad in the PC version too!?)

Thanks,

xTx
4JStudios ported this to the PS3 so it actually works. I had little to no memorable problems with it, unlike Skyrim which is still broken.
Jade Muggeridge

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 6:43 am

thanks for the info @CCNA and @Pelouze

I've never had much luck with xpadder, I tried setting it up for a friend on Morrowind but failed miserably :/ I might see if I can pick it up cheap for PC because the mods are tempting, and now I know I'll have the PS3 version to fall back on if I can't get the mapping done :)

xTx
jennie xhx

Return to IV - Oblivion