Qarl's mod and omod format

Post » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi, I am trying to prepare in order for my experience in oblivion to be the best possible now that I decided to play it again. I found Qarl package of textures and meshes and I read that it's good thing to use the omod format instead of just dropping the content into the data folder of the game (like I was used to do in morrowind... I admit I didn't play with mods when I bought oblivion back in the days).

My problem is: it seems obmm can't handle the dimension of Qarl's "mod" (I use the redimized version from dev_akm). Any help/suggestion on how make an omod out of the files in the zip archive?

Many thanks for the help.
Mizz.Jayy

Post » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi, I am trying to prepare in order for my experience in oblivion to be the best possible now that I decided to play it again. I found Qarl package of textures and meshes and I read that it's good thing to use the omod format instead of just dropping the content into the data folder of the game (like I was used to do in morrowind... I admit I didn't play with mods when I bought oblivion back in the days).

My problem is: it seems obmm can't handle the dimension of Qarl's "mod" (I use the redimized version from dev_ark). Any help/suggestion on how make an omod out of the files in the zip archive?

Many thanks for the help.

Haven't tried it myself but I suspect it will take a loooong time to convert it. I'd recommend using the installer in Wrye Bash instead - it also makes installing/uninstalling easy but you don't have to convert it first. Of course, it means that you need Wrye Bash and read up a bit on how its installer (BAIN) works. Otherwise, my guess is that OBMM can handle it - it will just take a very long time for it to finish.
Victoria Bartel

Post » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Here you go:
http://www.fileplanet.com/184723/180000/fileinfo/Elder-Scrolls-IV:-Oblivion---Qarl-Texture-Pack-3-Redimized-and-Further-Reduced-OMOD

The above OMOD contains the Redimized version of QTP3, as well as the options to install the (three I think) further "reduced" versions, as well as the Detailed Terrain Shader on top.
Pants

Post » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:34 pm

My problem is: it seems obmm can't handle the dimension of Qarl's "mod" (I use the redimized version from dev_akm). Any help/suggestion on how make an omod out of the files in the zip archive?

It can handle it just fine.* You will need to be very patient indeed, however, as Arkngt more or less said. If it appears not to be doing anything for a while, that's because it's still "thinking". And it will do so for ages...

That's just the way it is with large mods and the OMOD format / process.

* In fact, it can handle even bigger mods, like the original QTP3, and others.
saharen beauty

Post » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:43 pm

It can handle it just fine.* You will need to be very patient indeed, however, as Arkngt more or less said. If it appears not to be doing anything for a while, that's because it's still "thinking". And it will do so for ages...

That's just the way it is with large mods and the OMOD format / process.

* In fact, it can handle even bigger mods, like the original QTP3, and others.

This is indeed strange since I got an error message. Altough, if you say so maybe I did something I shouldn't have and that caused the problem. I will give it another try (while I'm educating myself about how to use wrye bash.
For what concern the second suggestion, looking at the size and the description of the linked addon, that seems to me the reduced package only. I'm saving that as a last resort (also because I would prefer to avoid downloading another 1.7GB file for today). :)

Thanks again to everyone.
Undisclosed Desires

Post » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:05 pm

obmm failed me again (and in the same way). I got the error window with the following message:
"An error occurred while creating the omod file. Maximum entry size exceeded".

All I did was to click on "create" after starting obmm, clicking on "add folder" and selecting the folder where I had previously unzipped QTP3Redimized.zip. Then I clicked on "create omod".

I'd prefear to go down this road, so if there's some additional advice on the matter, it would be really welcome.
Ann Church

Post » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Not sure that it will help, but a couple of general OBMM advice:

Turn off compression, especially on data files. It will make the omod a bit larger, but be quite a bit faster.
Don't extract the archive. OBMM generally behaves smarter when you choose "Add archive" and select an archive, than if you choose "Add folder" and select an uncompressed folder.
Silvia Gil

Post » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:25 pm

I set omod compression to none and data compression level to very low (the lowest possible). Sadly the same thing happened.

On a partly related note, I always used the default options (High compression for data and very high for omod) on all the other omods I created. Should I recreate all the omods with none - very low (omod - data compression) or the speed up is only relevant on texture mods? Is there any reason to use 7z over zip (the default), in term of performance?

I am not concerned with space, but even if my graphic card is good (9800gtx nvidia) I want to run (possibly) with every graphic spec maxed out, which maybe I can help a bit tweaking the compression options (now that you gave me the idea!).
Michael Russ

Post » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:33 am

I'm curious now. I just tested, by making an omod of QTP3 (the full, original, 1.7GB version) with standard settings and all. No problem... if you don't count the eternity consumed in the process. :D

So, what's up with your OS/machine/other...? It's a 32 bit app, so it's unlikely to be the fact I'm using a 64 bit OS that's the deciding factor. RAM, perhaps? I've got 4GB of that. Hm, that doesn't seem right either.

Nope, I'm still quite perplexed.
zoe

Post » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:09 am

I had no trouble (other than a long wait) making a Omod out of QTP III Redimized. I just pointed OBMM at the downloaded archive and used the 'Add Archive' Tool.

It would probably be a good idea to keep at copy of the Omod once you've made it, so you don't have to go through the pain again if you do a full reinstall ever. I have a seperate directory containing a copy of every Omod I've ever made.
Jose ordaz

Post » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:36 am

I'm curious now. I just tested, by making an omod of QTP3 (the full, original, 1.7GB version) with standard settings and all. No problem... if you don't count the eternity consumed in the process. :D

So, what's up with your OS/machine/other...? It's a 32 bit app, so it's unlikely to be the fact I'm using a 64 bit OS that's the deciding factor. RAM, perhaps? I've got 4GB of that. Hm, that doesn't seem right either.

Nope, I'm still quite perplexed.

QTP3 1.7GB, that's the same archive as me.
I run an AMD Athlon II x2 250 Processor at 3.01 GHz (it's a dual core, as the name implies), 4GB of RAM, Windows 7 64-bit.
I think our setups are reasonably similar for all that matters and still your works and mine doesn't :/
Amie Mccubbing

Post » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:36 pm

QTP3 1.7GB, that's the same archive as me.
I run an AMD Athlon II x2 250 Processor at 3.01 GHz (it's a dual core, as the name implies), 4GB of RAM, Windows 7 64-bit.
I think our setups are reasonably similar for all that matters and still your works and mine doesn't :/

Yeah, it was a long shot. More like mumbling to myself. Sorry. :\

I'll see if anything else occurs to me.
Penny Flame

Post » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:00 am

One thing I noticed is that you said you "add folder" but selected the folder with the archive in it. If you use "add folder" the folder should just contain all the uncompressed files. If you want to create an omod out of an archive, you have to select "add archive". I created an omod out of the regular QTP3 just a month ago and had no problems - just took a while. I'm only running win xp with 2G, although I do have a quad core. I left all the settings at standard.
Dean

Return to IV - Oblivion