Quake Champions: Where the is the Lovecraft and Strogg?

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:57 pm

Weren't we supposed to be going back to Quake's roots?
Rudi Carter

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:49 am

I've got nothing but salt for this. Now would be a great time to make a game that'd essentially be a new quake 1. With all the nifty crap their new engine can do, I'm sure it'd be incredibly atmospheric but note here that doom 1 and 2 took a whole hell of a lot longer to make than quake 3. If I recall correctly, Quake 3 took Id six months from stem to stern to produce and go "gold" with. We got our big campaign shooter thing from bethesda (Doom), now they want a quick buck and what better way than to slide to arena style combat with a quick turn around time?

It's a lot of work to produce really good single player content, especially in more recent engines, I'd direct your attention to the wide variety of garbage the doom 3 community produced which I suspect was mostly due to how intense it was to make good content for an engine like that with the tools most people had. There are some amazing projects too, but many of those are still ongoing like...13 years later. All told, the new Doom arguably took something like 11 or 12 years, so I suspect Champions is an attempt to produce a new game quickly that's a guaranteed seller...regardless of what they do to mangle it, if they in fact mangle it at all.

Ray

Return to Othor Games