Question about horses and Hearthfire.

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:27 pm

I have a question.

I built Lakeview Manor, and fully upgraded it, including the horse stable. I do not have a steward yet.

Upon obtaining a steward, they give an option to buy a horse. I presume when you do, it is stationary at your stable?

My question is, if I buy a horse elsewhere, what do I have to do to get my horse to remain in the stable? Do I fast travel to Lakeview Manor?

I want to know how to do this, but I don't want to stable my horse at the Lakeview Manor stable, IF this will remove the option to buy a horse from the steward when I get one.

Thanks very much in advance.
keri seymour

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:44 pm

You can always make a forked save and try it. If it does not do what you want, then load up the earlier save.

Sorry I can't give you an answer, I usually get my horses killed before I ever reach a Stable. RIP Frost and other Generic Horses

Kari Depp

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:56 am

In my experience, if you buy your own horse it will remove the option from your steward. If the horse dies, the option comes back. BTW, if you have the steward buy the horse it will stay all the way in the stable until you ride it once, then it never quite stays all the way in. It will also come out to fight any attackers at your place, then go back in the stable. (unless dead of course!) There's probably a mod for multiple horses if you're on a pc, but I don't recall at the moment if there is actually room for more than one in the HF stables.

Tessa Mullins

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:38 pm

You need to buy a horse from your Steward for it to stay at the stable... but it will wander a bit, just like a real horse. And they can be killed quite easily by bandits, giants, etc.

The stable is more for aesthetics, roleplay, and a place to grab your horse when purchased from your Steward.

Although I do believe if you lose your horse, it does eventually return to the stable.

jaideep singh

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:05 pm

I do this too, which is why I make mine essential.

Gods bless the console.

Naomi Ward

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:25 am

Not sure they added that to Skyrim as well. Was default behavior in Oblivion to return to stable if you got a new horse from somewhere else(bought a new one or something) but it stayed put where you dismounted. Stolen horses would also eventually return to stable, as did temporary mounts like the unicorn.

Dominic Vaughan

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:40 am

I've bought horses and took them to one of my houses where a steward bought horse was already staying; this was on 360. I wanted to use my stabled horse and rode it out and the horse I had bought took its place in the stable so it IS possible to have them take a stall. Not sure why others are having a problem.

Also I've left bought horses outside the house, spent the night there and went outside and they were waiting for me. My stabled horse wasn't happy about being left behind but some are so gorgeous I've not wanted them sacrificed to the sabre cats or frost trolls. I've done this many times as well as mixed and matched the stabled horses.

Miss Hayley

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:06 am

Maybe you have to have the steward buy a horse first? Hmm, I never wanted more than one at a time, so never tried that. Or maybe I had a bug I didn't know about.

Angus Poole

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:12 pm

I've done it both ways, bought horses and then had the steward buy and vice versa. As I said no problems either way. All my houses have a horse in the stable and I have at least a couple more. One from Whiterun acts like a wild horse when I ride him now and get off but the palamino from Riften won't leave unless scared off.

Sarah Kim

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:07 pm

I played Oblivion for 4 years, totalling over 700 hours in total gameplay.

To be honest, I am 80 hours into Skyrim and still have never bought my first horse.

I found the temporary random encounter horse and rode it for as long as I could. Other than that, I have never bought, or stolen a horse.

I just completed Lakeview Manor. I have NOT gotten a steward yet, just the housecarl.

I was planning on buying a horse, or console "placeatme" spawning a horse.

I want to know if/how to get said horse to go into the stable and stay there until I mount up again (does fast traveling cause a horse to wait for you at the nearest stable if you own the horse, or does it go all the way back to the original stable where you first bought it?).

Do you have to fast travel, or does a horse wait for you at the nearest stable when you dismount and enter Lakeview manor?

Same question if you dismount and enter a dungeoun.

Also wanted to know if this would mess up the option to buy one from the steward.

I hope this is a clearer explanation of my query.
LijLuva

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:51 am

Sorry, this is the best I can do. Some applicable info near the bottom of the page.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Horses

Chelsea Head

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:00 pm

Ah, the old faithful uesp. Good stuff. Thanks.

Seems any horse owned will wait where dismounted. I can always ride a horse into the stable and dismount it there.
Monika Krzyzak

Return to V - Skyrim