Question about Meridia

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:14 pm

Someone on here said that Merida didn't fit easily into the categories of Aedra and Daedra. When i asked why, the person said that she was the child of Magnus. I've never heard anything about that before, so could someone fill me in on this prince?
maria Dwyer

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:12 pm

It is from the http://www.imperial-library.info/obscure_text/census_daedra.shtml.

Meridia's holdings in Oblivion are collectively known as "The Colored Rooms". Another Prince whose origins may not entirely be outside of the aetherial, Meridia has at several times been linked to Magnus the Sun. The most famous account of this association is the Tract of Merid-nunda, which overtly casts Meridia in the role of a wayward solar daughter, cast from the heavens for consorting with illicit spectra.
Anna Kyselova

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:24 am

Ahuh. I've always wondered how Meridia, something concerned with the energies of living things would be so overtly in kahoots with the Ayleids, slaver and genocidal elves. Though, not as if his sucessor was any better in those departments.
Czar Kahchi

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:04 am

Ahuh. I've always wondered how Meridia, something concerned with the energies of living things would be so overtly in kahoots with the Ayleids, slaver and genocidal elves. Though, not as if his sucessor was any better in those departments.

Like father, like daughter. Being a fascist light-obsessed control freak must run in the family.
Emma Pennington

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:07 pm

Like father, like daughter. Being a fascist light-obsessed control freak must run in the family.

Not sure how that combines with Meridia's rock&roll attitude of life fast, die young but that's probebly what got her kicked out of the house in the first place.
rae.x

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:46 pm

Not sure how that combines with Meridia's rock&roll attitude of life fast, die young but that's probebly what got her kicked out of the house in the first place.

Perhaps her affinity for the Ayleids (affinity to the point of sleeping with one) comes from the fact that they remind her so much of dear old dad. With their obsession with magic, the presence of light in all of their ruins and their controlling and obsessive nature its a wonder they didn't just turn to Magnus himself for help in their megalomaniacal conquests. I guess getting help from his daughter was the next best thing.

In all honesty, judging from their ruins they really seem to resemble Maya sun-worshipers to me. Their relation to Magnus would be something interesting to explore.
Alexandra walker

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:33 pm

According to http://www.imperial-library.info/obscure_text/vehk_teaching.shtml#4, an et'Ada may choose whether it is associated with Aetherius or Oblivion. It would follow that if Magnus had some sort of authority over Meridia, [He] could have made that choice for her to go over to Oblivion.

___TWM
james reed

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:45 pm

Umaril bound himself to Meridia so that he could cheat death, become even more powerful then before, and command the Aurorans. Perhaps that is why she was associated with them.
sally coker

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:34 pm

Umaril bound himself to Meridia so that he could cheat death, become even more powerful then before, and command the Aurorans. Perhaps that is why she was associated with them.

The two were associated before he bound himself to Merdia's realm. They were said to be lovers, and she lent him an army long before immortality.
Kelly John

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:32 am

If you hate her so much why not just send her to the shivering isles. i am sure Sheo would be happy to separate her from her intestines.
Marquis deVille

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:56 pm

The two were associated before he bound himself to Merdia's realm. They were said to be lovers, and she lent him an army long before immortality.

Could it be that consorting with Umaril was the reason that Magnus booted her in the first place? To put it another way, could Umaril the Unfeathered be the "ilicit spectra" that was her downfall? If so, and now that Umaril is gone, could we see a change in the nature of Lady Meridia?

How many divine entities were changed during (and slightly before) TES IV?

Dagon got banished.
It appeared as though Akatosh may have either been grievously wounded or killed altogether.
"Sheogorath" is now a former mortal.
Jyggalag is set free.
Azura was...ummm....violated and exploded.
Talos' place in the Divine pantheon now challenged by Pelinal's mythic return.
Meridia's potential "bad influence" being destroyed, which may allow her to return to Aetherius.

Lots of changes, my friends.

___TWM
Rhiannon Jones

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:19 pm

Could it be that consorting with Umaril was the reason that Magnus booted her in the first place? To put it another way, could Umaril the Unfeathered be the "ilicit spectra" that was her downfall? If so, and now that Umaril is gone, could we see a change in the nature of Lady Meridia?

How many divine entities were changed during (and slightly before) TES IV?

Dagon got banished.
It appeared as though Akatosh may have either been grievously wounded or killed altogether.
"Sheogorath" is now a former mortal.
Jyggalag is set free.
Azura was...ummm....violated and exploded.
Talos' place in the Divine pantheon now challenged by Pelinal's mythic return.
Meridia's potential "bad influence" being destroyed, which may allow her to return to Aetherius.

Lots of changes, my friends.

___TWM

You could be onto something. Umaril was half divine.
Pete Schmitzer

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:33 pm

On the subject of the New SHEOG, I'd like to say that I don't think really anything is going to change, in terms of the "Madness" influence on Nirn; the only reason he's called "Mad" is because his motives are indeterminable. He basically does whatever the hell he wants, as does the player character in every TES game to date.

Perhaps...perhaps Meridia IS Magnus... the "exiting" of Magnus could be what "inverted" him. I'm probably wrong though, since I haven't looked into it too much.
abi

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:33 pm

I can see her bumping off Umaril's nearest neighbors; remember Sideways Cave?
Naomi Ward

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion