Questions about Screamer series

Post » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:38 am

Hello, the Screamer series was not exactly created by gamesas but if I understand it correctly you are currently the right holder of the (entire) series?
Anyway, here are my questions:

1) Apparently there was an unofficial 3d hardware accelerated version of Screamer (the first game) made (video link), I suppose you don't happen to have access to the source code for that version so that the graphical glitches of it could possibly be fixed? (I'm sure there are some enthusiasts out there that would love to get on such a task)

2) Is there any reason why you didn't put up Screamer Rally (the third entry in the series) on Gog? Since it also runs on DOS I guess it shouldn't be a big problem to ship it with DosBox, like the other two games?

3) Basically same question as 2) but for the game Ignition (which I guess is not exactly part of the series but still mostly associated with it). Though since there's also a Windows version for it I wonder if you have access to the source code so a more compatible version for nowadays systems could be made?
I'm mainly asking because I heard that the source code of the game was lost which would be a damn shame since that was one of the most enjoyable games in my childhood.
Ian White

Post » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:55 am

I don't see Screamer listed on our games page. It's possible we do own the rights (we did acquire some of the VIE catalog, but not all, IIRC), but it's also possible we don't.

1) No, we don't have that source code. (I'm 99% confident in saying that without looking through the archives -- mostly because the archives aren't easily searched.)

2) We might not own the rights to it. It's hard to say why certain games aren't available, but there is usually a reason. ^_^ Sometimes, it's financial, sometimes it's legal (and sometimes both!).

3) The source code is probably not available from us even if we do own the rights.
KIng James

Post » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:13 pm

I see, well you are listed as company for the first two titles that were released on GoG (link, link) and according to Wikipedia, gamesas aquired the game titles from Titus Software which apparently also aquired the rights when Virgin Interactive (original publisher) went out of business.

In fact it even says so on their wiki page:
The VIE library and intellectual properties are currently owned by gamesas Entertainment as a result of its acquisition of Titus.

Though since you said that you didn't aquire the entire catalogue I guess its possible that you only have the rights for the first two titles, that would explain why the last title lists an entirely different company and why the other two are not there at all (the vague wording on wikipedia doesn't exactly help).

I was kind of hoping that if you had the rights to the other titles, that you had something else than just the rights per se but if thats not the case then I guess I'll just have to continue looking for the needle in the haystack :P

I already tried to contact various people from the original development team and only got one reply which was unfruitful to say the least and I'm not sure if there are any other people that still could have access to the source/assets at this point.

Well, thanks anyway for the fast reply :)
Lori Joe

Return to Othor Games