Recently bought Fallout Anthology, but concerned about FO3

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:47 am

Hi,

I went in to change my pre-order of Fallout 4 from Xbox One to PC (just got a new computer, impressed with the graphics card that came with the computer; I hope the '~' functionability that Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas had, another reason for a switch), and ended up getting the anthology. There was a problem with Fallout 3 that I had through Steam, but there was a way of getting around the problem, but in the long run, my previous computer was affected by it.

I should've gave the box a closer look, because it gave notice (red small print, even if it's in caps, on black doesn't really show up well) that 'Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7 or later.'

I love Fallout 3, but with Windows 10, it'll be impossible for me to run it, unless there was, I guess, an emulator that'll allow me to play it without reprecussions.

With all of the emulators out there for older games, it's hard to know if you're going to get on that works, let alone one that isn't a Trojan horse or whatnot. I'd like to see either an official emulator for the older games, if not an updated version with improved graphics, etc.

Any word on this?

Marina Leigh

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:48 pm

That just means that it may require some tweaks. Much as some older games required some tweaks to run on XP or later.

It basically just means there's no official support from the developer. A lot of people have run the game fine on 7 and later without needing an emulator.

So, yeah, no emulator needed.

Melis Hristina

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:20 pm

Look up a tale of two wastelands, it lets you play fallout 3 in fallout new vegas. Also googling run fallout 3 on windows 7,8,10 will lead you to some good articles on tweaking fallout 3 to play nice with newer os. I still think tale of two wastelands is the best way to play fallout 3, its way less prone to crashing imo

Chelsea Head

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:59 pm

It has been suggested in the past that it's not Win7 that Fallout 3 struggles with, rather, it's the quad core CPUs that a lot of Win7 PCs came with.

I personally played Fallout 3 with Win7 and a dual core CPU, and it was fine.

Chris Johnston

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:04 am

Isn't the engine pretty much the same as Oblivion's? Cause I'm running Oblivion on a quad core machine with win7 on without any emulators, tweaks, problems, or anything, it was as smooth as baby's butt the moment it was freshly installed from Steam. O.o

Alina loves Alexandra

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5B8FhRtdUI

SiLa

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:12 pm

Aside from one tweak to the ini file to allow FO3 to handle multicore processors, it runs fine on Win 7+ regardless of claims to the contrary.

The problem is that systems are complex and people wind up with software of various kinds, especially indie tools or stuff like torrent software, and conflicts occur. People blame Fallout 3 and/or their OS, but it isn't the fault of either of those packages. They have other problems/conflicts in their systems but point the finger at the wrong thing.

Of course, they could also have various malware/viruses without knowing and such things can also cause problems that appear to be something else.

Jake Easom

Return to Fallout 3