request for a railgun*sniper rifle*

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:08 am

I know its redundant with guass but rail gun ever since Eraser has been a serious fancy of mine.I would love if it could have a trail/Slow rof but utterly devastating to any and all critters :P.Gauss is good but rail gun blows it out of the water.And M2 browning if possible.Not sure how they would solve where the hell the ammo came from unless they do the guass magic trick .
naome duncan

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 am

Too overpowered, the gauss is the DAM EW and the Gatling Laser is the DPS EW. The niche is filled.
Jose ordaz

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:56 am

The only gun I want with 'rail' in it is the railway rifle. I miss that thing T_T
BlackaneseB

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:31 am

over powered would be if it was automatic haha.Slow rof kinda liek the guass but more powerful.And it was sorta hilarious nailing human chunks to the wall with a crit.
Robyn Howlett

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:04 am

The dps-dph spectrum is now complete with Holorifle, if not destroy the balance for all range weapons.
Ashley Campos

Post » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:40 pm

The gauss rifle IS a rail gun.
Ebony Lawson

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:03 am

The only gun I want with 'rail' in it is the railway rifle. I miss that thing T_T

This. Railway spikes take out Deathclaws faster than anything :mohawk:
Tina Tupou

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:56 am

The gauss rifle IS a rail gun.

What he said. I assume the decision for making it an energy weapon involved the fact that a "rail" gun does not use a conventional firing mechanic. ALL of the weapons in the Gun skill use powder propellant while the Gauss rifle uses electromagnetic fields. Since it uses energy instead of powder it is an energy weapon. Does that make sense?
Shelby McDonald

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:03 am

Tbh id perfer if you both look up how the rail gun and the gauss work they are similar but diff in many ways.On wiki type in rail gun then guass/:P similar effects but no deal
Jeff Turner

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:48 am

Tbh id perfer if you both look up how the rail gun and the gauss work they are similar but diff in many ways.On wiki type in rail gun then guass/:P similar effects but no deal

Both use electromagnetic fields as propellant so I am confused as to what your point is?
sam smith

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:33 am

The differences are very minor.
Greg Cavaliere

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:25 am

A coil gun (or Gauss gun) is an electromagnetic launcher that offers a few advantages over rail guns. The "barrel" of a coil gun is a series of copper coils. These coils are energized sequentially, setting up a traveling magnetic field on the inside of the barrel. This magnetic field attracts a ferromagnetic projectile down the barrel. Since the projectile of a coilgun floats in the barrel and never touches the coils, it suffers less wear and tear, and these guns are completely quiet. Coil guns have been demonstrated to supersonic velocities, but they are not as efficient or as capable as railguns. copy and paste=Win yay knowledge=power.So heres the explaination by a super science bad ass X D.This is by a site designed to explain things to the common joe .I aint bsing or making this up have my word.Didnt give the specifics and i doubt any one in this site would race us in why they are specificly better.But anyways thats what i found aint concrete but best i could bring up
Klaire

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:26 pm

A coil gun (or Gauss gun) is an electromagnetic launcher that offers a few advantages over rail guns. The "barrel" of a coil gun is a series of copper coils. These coils are energized sequentially, setting up a traveling magnetic field on the inside of the barrel. This magnetic field attracts a ferromagnetic projectile down the barrel. Since the projectile of a coilgun floats in the barrel and never touches the coils, it suffers less wear and tear, and these guns are completely quiet. Coil guns have been demonstrated to supersonic velocities, but they are not as efficient or as capable as railguns. copy and paste=Win yay knowledge=power.So heres the explaination by a super science bad ass X D.This is by a site designed to explain things to the common joe .I aint bsing or making this up have my word.Didnt give the specifics and i doubt any one in this site would race us in why they are specificly better.But anyways thats what i found aint concrete but best i could bring up

Again, both are using electormagnetic fields.......
Angela Woods

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:39 am

Rail guns have the problem of massive heat and wear-down. Coil guns have the problem of rather complex setups.

Rail guns are essentially linear electric motors ramped up to absurd velocities. The friction on a railgun's rails is so great it can plasmify air with the heat. This same friction also would obviously cause great wear-down on the rails. As in "most likely have to replace the rails after one shot" great wear-down.

Coil guns rely on electromagnets, with obviously heavy ferrous cores. They also rely on a precise sequencing of energizing the coil series to propel the projectile.

"Gauss Rifles" are an alternate name for coil guns.
Dorian Cozens

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:29 am

Rail guns have the problem of massive heat and wear-down. Coil guns have the problem of rather complex setups.

Rail guns are essentially linear electric motors ramped up to absurd velocities. The friction on a railgun's rails is so great it can plasmify air with the heat. This same friction also would obviously cause great wear-down on the rails. As in "most likely have to replace the rails after one shot" great wear-down.

Coil guns rely on electromagnets, with obviously heavy ferrous cores. They also rely on a precise sequencing of energizing the coil series to propel the projectile.

Yes, they are different mechanisms using the same base propellant.... that is what I have been saying.
Lizzie

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:18 pm

Mad cat did i ever mention i love you long time?and ur cat picture is freaking me out lol.Anyways rail=stronger guass-weaker in simplecity.
Paul Rice

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:12 pm

Anyways rail=stronger guass-weaker in simplecity.

No. They are both fictional handguns because they are both impractical (for now), so saying one is weaker than the other is a matter of fiction dogma.

Actually the Gauss rifle is more plausible because it's mostly just held back by battery/energy technology. The rail gun is impractical because of energy AND friction issues.
Veronica Flores

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:34 am

I'm suprised it was'nt in the game seeing that the Mono-rail and a bunch of train rails are in the game..
trisha punch

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:47 am

I now want one only because so many people seem to think it would be overpowered.

I STILL don't understand the concept of "overpowered" in these games.
Dan Scott

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:35 am

I'm suprised it was'nt in the game seeing that the Mono-rail and a bunch of train rails are in the game..

If A Person working for D O D tells you the guass is weaker i belive them.IF only they would release the dean drive and super conductors ;p.Correction the information saying Rail is technicly better comes from Uk Department of defense lol.In 2015 they will have operational rail gun battle ships YAY!@@!@!@.If only i had couple billion to buy one ;p

Its more or less the sick need to force ppl to play by their rules n o matter if it could never harm them.I know its hilarious but just proves my point ppl have a genetic predisposition to being tyrants>_>I just dont understand if you consider something over powered why abuse it in the first place?.I have over 15 thousand 25mm grenades but i have yet to *abuse * anything
Ezekiel Macallister

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:23 pm

If A Person working for D O D tells you the guass is weaker i belive them.IF only they would release the dean drive and super conductors ;p.Correction the information saying Rail is technicly better comes from Uk Department of defense lol.In 2015 they will have operational rail gun battle ships YAY!@@!@!@.If only i had couple billion to buy one ;p

Whoops, I was refering to the Railway Gun from FO3.
Laura Ellaby

Return to Fallout: New Vegas