pc restarts while playing Skyrim

Post » Thu May 31, 2012 8:22 pm

ok so i have the impression im having a major problem on my skyrim experiences. didn't see many other people with the same because i don't even get a BSOD. It started after updating the game from 1.4 to 1.5 it started to crash my whole comp without warning whatsoever.
computer goes completly out while playing skyrim (very random although but latly after 1-10 sec after loading save game or starting new one) and restarts itself. these are the things i tried to do to solve the problem without succes:
*deleted my gpu drivers and reinstalled fresh one.
*removed all the mods and started new game
*completly reinstalled the game.
*cleaned all the little dust particles in my case

skyrim is also the only game that has this effect on my computer.
Also checked for overheating of cpu and gpu, but these are fine 30 - 45°c.

my rig (isn't the best one but meets the minimum req for the game):
OS Win 7 pro x64
intel dual core @ 2.66 gHz
5gb Ram
GeForce GTX 560 1024mb GDDR5
Zalman PSU 600W (edited psu Watt)
sophie

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:21 am

This has been a known issue since the game was released. A lot of people were vocal about it, but Bethesda never acknowledged the issue in any way. For some people, it was mysteriously fixed with later patches, some had hardware issues, and the rest of us have more or less given up and moved on. If you read the sticky for game crash reports, there's pages and pages and pages of people with the same issue.
Keeley Stevens

Post » Thu May 31, 2012 8:45 pm

I am aware of that sticky but mine seems so different because most of them have crashes to desktop and i have what it seems complete power-outage. also these problems only started after the recent update of the game.
I felled it needed to make a new topic about it. if moderators feel different ill repect that.
KiiSsez jdgaf Benzler

Post » Thu May 31, 2012 6:19 pm

Sounds like an overheating GPU. I'd take that puppy out and make sure there aren't any gremlins.
Sabrina Schwarz

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:45 am

When Skyrim was released, there were many people reporting hard crashes (the PC resetting/rebooting). Lots of discussion. You can be assured the problem is a hardware problem. Very vocal people here yelling that it couldn't be their hardware, because other games run fine. There were quite a few people who came back later, and acknowledged it was their hardware after all.

Rule of thumb:
1) Crash to the desktop -> bug in the game.
2) Blue screen of death -> bug in the drivers
3) Hard reset -> faulty hardware

Double check you machine. My gut feel says that a 650W PSU should be enough. But did you plug in the extra powercord into your gtx560ti ?
Tasha Clifford

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:35 am

When Skyrim was released, there were many people reporting hard crashes (the PC resetting/rebooting). Lots of discussion. You can be assured the problem is a hardware problem. Very vocal people here yelling that it couldn't be their hardware, because other games run fine. There were quite a few people who came back later, and acknowledged it was their hardware after all.

Rule of thumb:
1) Crash to the desktop -> bug in the game.
2) Blue screen of death -> bug in the drivers
3) Hard reset -> faulty hardware

Double check you machine. My gut feel says that a 650W PSU should be enough. But did you plug in the extra powercord into your gtx560ti ?

i removed the gpu made sure it was clean and also the extra powercord was plugged in
Julia Schwalbe

Post » Thu May 31, 2012 4:23 pm

Zalman isn't really known for their PSU's.

And this isn't a issue with the game, since update 1.4 it's stressful on your system and it's causing something unstable to crash your system.

What's the exact model of that PSU? 650w is enough but weather the current is strong enough is another question.
Tanya Parra

Post » Thu May 31, 2012 11:59 pm

ok, so the Zlman i have is a 600w, i made a mistake earlier excuse me for that.
if by current you mean Amp, i would be glad to post the data here. The model number of the psu is ZM600-HP.
Katie Samuel

Post » Thu May 31, 2012 7:11 pm

Eww Multiple 12v rails with a weak 16amp each which is horrible, generally leads to instability. They never did work properly for me.

Have a read: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psumultirail/multirails.html

Consider this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182199&Tpk=Rosewill%20Green%20Series%20RG530

It's the same one I'm using and infact every PC in my house has it and they all run flawless, they be gaming machines too :biggrin:

When buying PSU's best to stick with one that has a Single 12v Rail that can deliver 40+ Amps depending on your system.

EDIT: 530w should be plenty for your system.
Alan Cutler

Post » Thu May 31, 2012 4:47 pm

thx for those links daemon, was very interresting! unfortunatly i didn't find that psu you send me in shops that deliver here. found other psu's with kind of same loadout on the +12v (38 amps for example) with prices around the 50-60 €. i might concider changing my zalman and hope it solves the instability skyrim has.
courtnay

Post » Thu May 31, 2012 11:24 pm

Just for the record, the fact that Zalman PSUs aren't well known doesn't mean that they are not good. Although I don't know enough about electronics to say if the ZM600-HP is good or not in this situation.

Loudness is one of my main concerns when building a PC. I used to watercool everything. No fans. I even had a fanless PSU. However, 3 years ago or so, I switched back to using fans. The Zalman 1000W PSU was highly recommended, especially because it was so silent.
See http://www.silentpcreview.com/article834-page1.html
That website is dedicated to building silent (or quiet) PCs. They are very thorough.
I am running that PSU for 3 years now. Never had a problem. Although I do have a low-wattage CPU (E8500 65 Watts). And no extra devices that use a lot of power. I used a gtx260 for years, and now a gtx680. Not the lowest power-using videocards. But no SLI or anything fancy. But tbh, I have never heard before that Zalman's PSUs can cause problems.
RaeAnne

Return to V - Skyrim