Rigged blend file export error

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:53 pm

I rigged a model to the frost giant skeleton and am trying to export it but I am getting this error:

niftools.blender.export:INFO:Exporting [Object "FrostGiant.001"] as NiNode block
niftools.blender.export:INFO:Exporting [Object "FrostGiant.001"]
NifExportError: ERROR%t|Too many vertices. Decimate your mesh and try again.

The strange thing is that I deleted all meshes but the new model which only shows as having 320 vertices. I tried deleting duplicate vertices just in case, but there weren't any. "FrostGiant.001" doesn't even show up in the Outliner window so I don't know why Blender is trying to export it. I gather that it is the issue... I'm not sure what to do; I'm not sure if starting over would help because I would just go through the same steps I always do to rig models.

Any suggestions?

-MD

edit: oh, and I did try unhiding and checking all of the other layers for objects I may have missed... I didn't find any.

edit2: dang... I just noticed the file size is 100MB! Not sure why yet... I can't find anything special in the file.

Julia Schwalbe

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:59 pm

Okay, I got it to export after that last edit2 discovery. I'm going to document it here for posterity:

The model I used was a .blend that came with an embedded texture. I saved the texture from the UV window as a .png. Somehow, that image file was corrupted and contained this "FrostGiant.001" string somewhere in it's file makeup because it showed up in a grep search of the folder (although it was an exclusion; i.e. somehow corrupted data). I was referencing that PNG in the blend model I was trying to export. As soon as I knew this, I removed the material data and then added it back in (but not referencing the corrupted image file). Then I could export successfully.

Note: the image file seems to work fine by itself... I was able to view it and convert it into a .dds with no issue.

Anyway, unless someone wants to comment on this thread, I guess it can be closed.

louise tagg

Return to III - Morrowind