Saarthal Excavation key? Forbidden Legend quest

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 4:23 am

Im on the forbidden legend quest, with the amulet fragments.

Next step is find the gauldur fragment in saarthal, yet the door requires a key...? I have never gotten a key in this questline. Where is it?
Kevin Jay

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 4:29 am

It's not in this quest, to get in you HAVE to do the Mage guild quest line
Jessica White

Post » Thu May 24, 2012 7:07 pm

Bad news for you, friend :/ As far as I can understand, the only way to gain entrance to that place is by doing the first quest for the mage college, which is a poorly thought out quest layout in beth's part. So yea, you'll have to spoil the opening quest in order to get in im afraid.
sexy zara

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 5:19 am

Uh. What.
Misty lt

Post » Thu May 24, 2012 11:54 pm

Yea, it's a lil strange. Well during the first quest for the mage college, you will go to the ruin, which will then be unlocked, during the events of the quest you will end up fighting the enemy who happens to carrry what you need for the quest you're currently on.. it's really quite a mess
I’m my own

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 6:05 am

It's not a big deal. Go to winter hold college and do what they tell you and then it takes you straight to saarthal
Vicky Keeler

Post » Thu May 24, 2012 9:07 pm

Yeah, I actually got the Saarthal fragment first when I did the Forbidden Legend Quest, because I was doing the College of Winterhold quests. Basically one of the first quests for the College is to explore the Saarthal Excavation Site, which is when that door will become unlocked and you'll receive that fragment of the amulet. I believe they designed that mission thinking you'd discover the Saarthal Fragment first.
X(S.a.R.a.H)X

Post » Thu May 24, 2012 9:41 pm

Yeah what a blunder. I'm kind of stuck at this as well. Basically I discovered the first two parts and was notified via the quests menu that the third item is in the Saarthal dungeon. When I got there (because I'd already scouted it out so I could fast travel to it) the entrance was locked. This was before I'd found Winterhold or anything having to do with the mage colleges. I heard that in order for me to get into the Saarthal dungeon I'd have to join a mage college, which for a Nord Fighter with meager skills seems a bit weird. :(

And yes... it seems that quest is a bit disjointed if you discover the other pieces first... very confusing.
Marcin Tomkow

Post » Thu May 24, 2012 7:44 pm

WHAT! I did the first part of this one and have markers for other locations. I haven't tried it yet but I assume I'll get the same bug. I'm playing a Nord Warrior and there is no way I'll have to go way outside of character and joint the mages guild just to get this quest.

Booger, what a freakin bug. Or if this was by design, it was very poorly designed. Why would they let non-mages start a quest that they can't finish. Booger, booger, booger and booger.

EDIT: Just note I got is started by going to Geirmund's Hall (cave) after hearing about the cave from a villager in Ivarstead. So I guess I got the quest on my logs, but can't finish it.
electro_fantics

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 12:06 am

Yeah, it's not the best designed mission. Nord two handed warrior who can barely light a campfire with his magic is now the Arch-mage and the "Only person deemed fit enough to run the college" lol. Only saving grace is that the Saarthal mission is pretty much one of the very first form the college. Go in, get the mission, go into Saarthal, claim you're amulet and abandon the college. All though to be fair it is a pretty cool questline. Still felt kind of odd to run through people with my greatsword. Almost felt as if i was pulling a pistol during a sword fight duel sometimes
Lucky Boy

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 8:02 am

can u quit the mages guild afterwards?
I dont like having open quests
Annika Marziniak

Return to V - Skyrim