scariest thing?

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:36 am

whats the scariest thing that happened to you in arena. daggerfall, battlespire, or redgaurd?

well i was playing arena and i found this really small dungeon that only had one big room with a few doors, but the main room had alot of loot, and since whenever you leave a dungeon everything respawns, i kept going in and out in and out to get lots of stuff, but the monsters in there were way higher lvled than me so i had to be quick, and one time i was on my way out and i heard a door open, scared the crap out of me, good thing i got out of there, with lots of good stuff :D

share you're stories here
Connor Wing

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:01 am

You know... thats sort of an intresting point about arena and daggerfall. Doors opening give a sense of dread. You hear the sound, and Its like you *know* someone or something is down that long, dark hall and its looking for you.
Hope Greenhaw

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:10 am

In Arena, was raiding a crypt. While general random dungeons in that game have roughly level-adjusted encounters, it didn't always seem to be so with the other kind of places you could find and explore out of towns such as crypts and keeps. So it went more or less like this :

*Level... 10 ? character explores crypt, raids loot piles & so on*
*Blam, dead so fast can't even see what's hitting it*
*Loads save, runs back to crypt, proceeds more cautiously*
*WHAAAA, VAMPIRE, STREAM OF FIREBALLS* (the first vampire ever in that game)
*Scampers back to entrance, barely making it with a few hit points left*
Claire Mclaughlin

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:46 am

You know... thats sort of an intresting point about arena and daggerfall. Doors opening give a sense of dread. You hear the sound, and Its like you *know* someone or something is down that long, dark hall and its looking for you.

The door opening sound followed by a skeletal groan makes more more scared than many STALKER moments. : /

(Daggerfall)
Floor Punch

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:34 am

... (0_0) im scared
Tinkerbells

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:38 am

the first time you hear VENGENCE! in daggerfall. especially if you have the sound up to hear the crickets
Britney Lopez

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:20 pm

Skeletal howls scared the crap out of me at first, but the sound I dread more than any other is the moan of a zombie. There's just something wholly creepy about it, that sound, and the fact that it betrays the presence of a zombie (which are quite fast and hard to get away from, tough, and hit pretty dang hard) doesn't make it any more pleasant.

These games make excellent use of sound. That creatures have telltale sounds can be both comforting and unnerving, and yet that humans make no sound at all means that even the silence is deadly! Just because you can't hear something doesn't mean it's safe. Adding to that the random sounds of rats, footsteps, and crumbling rock often populating the ambient music, and you've got some damn creepy dungeons.

Yes, Daggerfall does fear rather well. The only other game that I've played that compares with the fear and never feeling safe is System Shock 2.
Dark Mogul

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:25 am

Skeletal howls scared the crap out of me at first, but the sound I dread more than any other is the moan of a zombie. There's just something wholly creepy about it, that sound, and the fact that it betrays the presence of a zombie (which are quite fast and hard to get away from, tough, and hit pretty dang hard) doesn't make it any more pleasant.

These games make excellent use of sound. That creatures have telltale sounds can be both comforting and unnerving, and yet that humans make no sound at all means that even the silence is deadly! Just because you can't hear something doesn't mean it's safe. Adding to that the random sounds of rats, footsteps, and crumbling rock often populating the ambient music, and you've got some damn creepy dungeons.

Yes, Daggerfall does fear rather well. The only other game that I've played that compares with the fear and never feeling safe is System Shock 2.

yeah skeleton howls scare the CRAP right outta me, i swear i jump like 10ft high
Chica Cheve

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:57 am

In Arena, the desperate moans of the wraiths are pretty unnerving.
Vahpie

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:18 am

VENGEAAAAANCEEE!!!!

Lysandus and the ghosts in the capital give me the creeps.
Yama Pi

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:34 am

the first time you hear a skeletal roar and your sound is right up.

that made me jump badly...

the sense of dread you get when going through an arena dunfeon, as monster spawn randomly everywhere. getting ambushed at any random moment can be quite stressful.
JLG

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Ah yes, the skeletons. Is there one or are there many? How quickly will it hit you? So much fun!

For some reason, the older games seem to cause dread much more easily than the newer ones.
meg knight

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:42 am

I agree. I think a lot of it has to do with the player's brain and mind having to do a lot of the work, filling in the blanks by using the imagination. That, I think, involves the player a lot, though it isn't obvious. With the later games, most of that visualizing is done for you, so you witness what's going on more than creating it yourself.

At least that's how I look at it. Like the difference between books and movies.
nath

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:03 pm

Well, we fear the unknown, and there is much unknown in Daggerfall. Some of this is due to the graphics, as you simply cannot see as clearly as newer games. Also, the game is a lot darker in the dungeons, and your light only carries so far, so you cannot see things coming from far away. And, of course, dungeon layouts have plenty of secret passages, so you can be sneaked up upon. And yes, the game is fairly unforgiving, which may be the main point.
victoria johnstone

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:12 am

The first time I heard the "Vengeance!" wailing I sort of freaked out for a second, and all of the dungeons is a bit eerie, like Jormungandr mentioned.
Taylah Illies

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:54 am

The first time I heard the "Vengeance!" wailing I sort of freaked out for a second, and all of the dungeons is a bit eerie, like Jormungandr mentioned.

ive never played daggerfall, what says "vengeance"? like what creature cuz im gonna get dfall soon and i wanna know
Jade Barnes-Mackey

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:52 am

ive never played daggerfall, what says "vengeance"? like what creature cuz im gonna get dfall soon and i wanna know

Oh, you'll find out :)

Spoiler
It's the ghost of king Lysandus haunting the city of Daggerfall, in the province of Daggerfall, in the game Dagggerfall.

Anthony Diaz

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:11 am

Oh, you'll find out :)

Spoiler
It's the ghost of king Lysandus haunting the city of Daggerfall, in the province of Daggerfall, in the game Dagggerfall.

does he say "vengeance" the way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCCgFlNW24 guy says... you'll see
Vivien

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:13 am

The way the Kind of Worms summons you to his lair using his "helpful" zombies that will even find you in an Inn. Imagine waking up in an Inn and there is a Zombie there waiting for you to wake up so he can attack you and deliver a message.

The first time it happened I evacuated my bowels.
Blessed DIVA

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:04 pm

oh man i just had another scary moment in arena, i was in fang lair and when i went into the room with the staff hell hounds poped outta nowwhere! :wacko:
Angelina Mayo

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:06 am

oh man i just had another scary moment in arena, i was in fang lair and when i went into the room with the staff hell hounds poped outta nowwhere! :wacko:

Hell hounds "popped" out of nowhere, or they "pooped" out of nowhere? Either way, that's damn scary.
Vahpie

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:22 am

does he say "vengeance" the way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCCgFlNW24 guy says... you'll see

:rofl:

No, he is a little more subtle than that.
Tikarma Vodicka-McPherson

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:39 am

Hell hounds "popped" out of nowhere, or they "pooped" out of nowhere? Either way, that's damn scary.

Poping could be pretty scary, too, if you think about.
brenden casey

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:38 pm

I sure didnt like the way skeletons rose from their graves in Redguard...
And every single high-end daedra was dreadful in Battlespire. The seducers, daedra lords, whatever they were. Sometimes it was like Daggerfall but with a dozen vampire ancients surrounding you.
In Daggerfall however, the underwater dungeon parts gave me the creeps. Too bad I learned how to make easy water walking/breathing spells :/
In Morrowind, Daedroths. So spooky :\
Kayla Keizer

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:03 am

I thought it was creepy in some daggerfall dungeons underwater there was a zombie
Rob

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion