Skyrim and Steam... WHY?

Post » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:03 am

I like 9.C of the Steam Subscriber Agreement that you all agreed to:

C. NO GUARANTEES.
VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND/OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S).
leni

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:13 pm

I like 9.C of the Steam Subscriber Agreement that you all agreed to:

I agreed to nothing, nor did I even have to read the EULA.

They can't take that agreement and shove it up their posterior.

Console(idation)
Vincent Joe

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:50 pm

@http://www.gamesas.com/user/783896-phauxxee/

You could try this answer I found on the web: go to your steam program folder, right-click on steam.exe, go to properties, click on the compatibility tab, and the compatibility mode box should be turned on to Windows XP SP2). Turn it off, and steam should run.

And here is a link to Steam Support, you might be able to find the error your having.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_cat.php?id=59

Hope it helps.

P.S I found another solution that might work, here is a steam user with a similar problem and he managed to fix it.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1257146

Thanks for the offer to help, Fishysticks, but I really have tried all these and more and without any success, why I finally tried uninstalling and re-installing Steam in the hopes it would fix itself (which it didn't.) I have Win7 and there was no need to check off anything in the program's compatibility tab since nothing was checked.

All I need is for Steam to realize is that my internet is still online and working just fine without any changes or tampering on my part between the last time I played my game till the next morning 8 hours later.

This is what I get after Steam tries to update itself:

Steam Message # 1: Steam - Udate - 0% complete
Cannot contact Steam network, please try later.

Steam Message # 2: ERROR
Steam exe. (main exception): To run Steam you must connect to the Internet.
Jack

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Its a company monitoring the way you operate a game, and if you're fine with that. Okay.

I'm not.

Same here... WHY? as I said in my subject line. Why do I have to have Steam and 'like' it too?
I want to buy my single player games the way I use to, pop it into my computer and register it with whatever makes the game company happy so long as that's the end of the relationship between my game and the internet. What was wrong with the way we use to be able to buy/install/register/play our games before Steam? I want to 'not' have to turn on my internet to start the game if In need to uninstall/re-install it or download the game from the disc I paid so much for or patch the game via a 3rd party program that watches over the way I play my game, let alone stop working and messing up my my ability to play my game when ever I want.

Honestly, I hate this setup and want to have my choice given back to me to 'not' to have Steam in my computers if I so choose. I don't use any of their perks or community stuff anyway, I just want to play my Skyrim... please.
Charlotte Buckley

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:20 pm

It states on the back of the box that Steam is required, and it was also widely known before release.

If it bothers you or you have issues with it, put it in offline mode. You only need internet connectivity once to activate it, that's it.
When I was last without internet Steam gave me the option to go in offline mode. I clicked it and it said this activity is not available offline and closed. I asked for help and apparently I was supposed to porperly log off and set to offline mode before the problem arose. I don't see why I can't just go in offline mode when I am offline. And if you're off for too long it won't let you play anyway because it needs to check if there's any updates or some crap.
kristy dunn

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:51 pm

When I was last without internet Steam gave me the option to go in offline mode. I clicked it and it said this activity is not available offline and closed. I asked for help and apparently I was supposed to porperly log off and set to offline mode before the problem arose. I don't see why I can't just go in offline mode when I am offline. And if you're off for too long it won't let you play anyway because it needs to check if there's any updates or some crap.

You're obviously doing something wrong.

Nothing can go wrong in Offline mode, it alone is justification for every aspect of DRM's everywhere.

/sarcasm
Sakura Haruno

Post » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:21 am

I think the main reason why Steam is used is to prevent reselling of the game (or lending it to friends). Reselling is likely going to be prevented on next gen consoles too.

I've never had problems with Steam. Good internet connections and no download caps in my area.
Cagla Cali

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:51 pm

I used Steam offline for more than a month once while moving to a new house. Never once did it tell me I couldn't play because it had to check for updates. Every time I started it up it said it couldn't connect and asked to start in Offline Mode, and every time it worked without a hitch.

If you're having problems playing in offline mode, maybe you should try actually being offline first.
Barbequtie

Post » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:08 am

I had been playing offline from Steam for several days, in fact, having checked 'Offline' mode within Steam itself. I only went back online when I wanted to get the latest patch for Skyrim. It was the following day that Steam stopped working for me, saying I had no internet connection. After Steam decided not to open my game 'offline' as it had been I have been forced to try everything to fix this by searching high and low for all the legitimate suggestions out there from all the legitimate sites offering help. Still without any fix and still without any Skyrim game to play :(
Isabell Hoffmann

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:14 pm

My only issue with Steam is that I have no use for it and so don't like being saddled with things I'll never use. And am one of those weird people who don't like buying digital copies of games. There's no promise that ten years from now Steam or any of the other current digital sales providers will still be around to keep your digital copy playable, but I can look back at all those MS-DOS games that because I have a hard copy of only need an emulator/whatsis to play again.
Kat Lehmann

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:01 pm

The difference between playing Oblivion's DLC, FO3's DLC, and FO:NV's DLC is night and day. Steam is just a superior means for a game to distribute DLC. Any game that intends to market DLC should be using Steam.

I'm sorry it annoys the rest of you, but I feel like it's huge improvement.
Steven Nicholson

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:31 am

The difference between playing Oblivion's DLC, FO3's DLC, and FO:NV's DLC is night and day. Steam is just a superior means for a game to distribute DLC. Any game that intends to market DLC should be using Steam.

I'm sorry it annoys the rest of you, but I feel like it's huge improvement.

Non of us were against using steam as a store. We are against being forced to have it on while playing the game. Read the posts before making statements plz.
Jade Muggeridge

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:32 am

Why is “I never had an Issue” the ultimate Steam justification for people? Ok, good for YOU!!! Others have issues, I had a numerous issues until I reinstalled it a couple of times. I still don’t see the benefit it just stopped tormenting me, at least not nearly as much as it did in the past. I still fail to see the upside to it can anyone provide one? Steam is not as bad as other potential things is NOT an upside!

At this point, there is no real point in conversing further. The two camps: "Well I had issues" and "Well I didn't" can't seemingly comingle. One day perhaps long from now, two star-crossed lovers will join together in a tragic affair which will end in their death, at which point perhaps both sides will begin to see the error in their own ways and cooperate towards a better tomorrow... it's sad really.

It seems to provide benefit to Beth, it's likely the main platform from which they sell units to PC Gamers, so it's in Beth's best interests to allow Steam to manage the updates and whatnot. Is it 100% necessary for Singleplayer: Not really, but w/e right? Not really, apparently.

Other than that, I'm out. It's been said this whole issue is beating a dead horse, and I'm not going to condone animal desecration any further.
Eve Booker

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:50 pm

You don't need Steam for DRM. When I installed Office I had to put in my keycode and activate it. One contact with the Microsoft site and no further internet access needed. Office just runs. Requiring any further contact with Steam is just a marketing ploy to get more people on their site where they can flog their products. I won't buy from them for the same reason I despise product popups I don't like having unwanted sales pitches pushed in my face.
Nienna garcia

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:26 pm

In my experience, Steam is a crappy client that randomly ups and dies on one, regardless of their internet connection. It just randomly refuses to start up, or starts up and then says it can't connect, even after you opt to play it in offline mode--leaving you SOL.

+1

I get endless error message after error message, it's not always as simple as "put steam in offline mode"

Wish I was running the cracked version sometimes!
Brian LeHury

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:23 am

On the long list of problems with Skyrim the fact that is apart of steam seems very small.
If Steam suddenly quits working for you, and you can't get it to work again, I suspect you will find it is not a small problem any longer.
Marquis T

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:09 pm

Non of us were against using steam as a store. We are against being forced to have it on while playing the game. Read the posts before making statements plz.

I was listing the benefits of steam, as I see them. As far as DRM goes: I've had far worse experiences with such things. Steam is relatively unintrusive compared to some of the blunders various companies have attached to their products over the last couple of years. Is it perfect? No, but as far as it goes it seems fine to me. Unless you're someone who's arguing against any form of DRM (which is a fine argument, but let's be clear what we're arguing about) I don't see what the big deal is.
Lou

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:46 pm

We have a thread for discussing Steam, use that:

http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1331715-unofficial-steamdrm-discussion-26/
Jacob Phillips

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim