Skyrim engine multi-core use

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:09 am

Killzone 3 also made great use of the Cell processor, from what I've heard. The demo looks and runs very well.

P.S. The link's not really showing me much.

Yea, KZ3 is another good example. Pretty much the majority of exclusives. God of War 3 does some amazing things too with it's scale of some of the environments and amount of enemies on screen at once while maintaining those graphics. I have no doubt that Uncharted 3 will be amazing and The Last Guardian as well.

When the Cell is used to the fullest with Blu Ray and the hard drive amazing things can be achieved. Also remember that devs cannot code games with a hard drive in mind for third party games because of Microsoft and the arcade unit 360's that are out there.
Tania Bunic

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:33 am

Yea, KZ3 is another good example. Pretty much the majority of exclusives. God of War 3 does some amazing things too with it's scale of some of the environments and amount of enemies on screen at once while maintaining those graphics.

When the Cell is used to the fullest with Blu Ray and the hard drive amazing things can be achieved. Also remember that devs cannot code games with a hard drive in mind for third party games because of Microsoft and the arcade unit 360's that are out there.

Yet it's still one of the greater examples of unfairness in the consumer world, I'd say. I want to see a first-person, open world RPG makes use of the processor, dang it! There are no such things, though.
Marnesia Steele

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:40 pm

Yet it's still one of the greater examples of unfairness in the consumer world, I'd say. I want to see a first-person, open world RPG makes use of the processor, dang it! There are no such things, though.

I'm with you all the way on that. Unfortunately we'll be stuck with 360 ports from third party devs for pretty much this entire console cycle. I look to first party games for some gratification, but the "what if" factor will always loom over me if you know what I mean.
Noely Ulloa

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:20 am

i really hope they don't take a page out of the Crysis 2 handbook and make it more linear and worse than oblivion.
Tamara Primo

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:00 pm

In this day and age I sure hope so.
Anna Beattie

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm with you all the way on that. Unfortunately we'll be stuck with 360 ports from third party devs for pretty much this entire console cycle. I look to first party games for some gratification, but the "what if" factor will always loom over me if you know what I mean.

That's exactly my problem. If there was ever one game I have to play, it would be Skyrim. It is, in my mind, THE game to anticipate. I couldn't care less about the non-RPG/exploration-styled games such as Uncharted (but with T.E. Lawrence being a reference in the third one, I may check it out if I can get past my hatred for linear/highly limited in time gameplay), Killzone, or God of War, but they are the only games that really take my preferred platform's hardware and actually do what it was meant to do. Then, there's Skyrim... a game already outshined by existing PlayStation games in graphical quality and performance (I just keep picturing the hiccuping, prone-to-unstable-framerates of a nightmare that Oblivion and Fallout 3 were, for me, and they weren't even anything all that graphically stunning to show for the problems), but it's the game I want to take full use of my platform's capabilities more than any other game, yet I can only wonder about what could have been instead of actually getting what could have been. First-party Sony games don't interest me, but Skyrim does and I can already foresee better performance on the 360 simply because they actually programmed the game to take full advantage/consideration of the 360's architecture, but not the PS3's... the more capable of the two. :wallbash:
Crystal Clarke

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:57 pm

Well said Seti. Skyrim is my most anticipated game ever and if it runs better on the 360 even though in reality it shouldn't, i'll be quite upset. That's not even taking into account that the 360 will probably get DLC first, which is a joke.
Jordyn Youngman

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:31 am

Well said Seti. Skyrim is my most anticipated game ever and if it runs better on the 360 even though in reality it shouldn't, i'll be quite upset. That's not even taking into account that the 360 will probably get DLC first, which is a joke.

Kind of thwarts the whole "cross-platform communism" idea when (assuming it will be, which I'm betting is the case, given I could be wrong, and hopefully am) the game get's specifically tailored to run best on the 360.
Laura-Lee Gerwing

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:00 pm

Kind of thwarts the whole "cross-platform communism" idea when (assuming it will be, which I'm betting is the case, given I could be wrong, and hopefully am) the game get's specifically tailored to run best on the 360.

Which is a serious problem I think. Wouldn't you agree?
RUby DIaz

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:15 pm

Which is a serious problem I think. Wouldn't you agree?

It's a huge problem.

I'm not saying the PS3 and PC's should get more content (as in game-play stuff), but if you're going to make a cross-platform game, especially one as popular as The Elder Scrolls, it should be done right by taking advantage of each systems hardware separately.
Sami Blackburn

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:22 am

It's a huge problem.

I'm not saying the PS3 and PC's should get MORE content, but if you're going to make a cross-platform game, especially one such as popular as The Elder Scrolls, it should be done right by taking advantage of each systems hardware separately.

Yes sir. If I wasn't on mobile and could use emoticons i'd give your post a thumbs up.
matt

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:10 am

(...)
it should be done right by taking advantage of each systems hardware separately.

Yes to this!

This if-i-can't-have-it-neither-can-you sounds puerile. Somehow it looks like they're trying too hard not to displease a major slice of their buying customers while exerting some verbal damage control over the rest.
But there's a chance we're misrepresenting Bethesda's behaviour or not taking into account other considerations.
JUan Martinez

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:10 am

I really do hope they make the game have the option for quad cores, atleast on the pc. I'm kinda hoping my 8gb RAM/3460Mhz Proccesser/Great Video Card/Quad Cores can run this ame with everything maxed out. :wink_smile:
Gemma Archer

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:29 am

It can effectively handle up to 6 processes at a time with the SPE's. Also, if coded correctly, an SPE can process more than one thing at a time, so you can double that. They're also very fast and can shred through a lot of info at once. That's where the Cell's power lies, is in the SPE's.Naughty Dog also said that with Uncharted 2 they we're using the Cell for a lot of the graphics processing while also relying on the Cell for the animations, physics, AI, and everything else. A true feat indeed.

Why don't developers make good use of it more often, then? I want Skyrim to make full use of it. :cryvaultboy:I can only take a guess as to how a total of 512 mbs of RAM split into two, mutually-exclusive halves must also limit things and/or be completely inadequate for such a relatively powerful processor, though.

Try parallel programming yourself before asking that kind of question. Even the small step from single-process to two process makes things 10x more complicated. When you move on beyond that things get really crazy - even a matter as simple as code testing becomes a complex, time-consuming process that takes a lot of preperation and brainstorming. With the PS3's potential to handle 14 tasks or even more at once, it's pretty much like staring at a 90 degree steep mountain that you only have a pickaxe to climb with.
Charles Mckinna

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim