Skyrim remastered engine for Remastering Morrowind?

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:38 am

A dream that could come true?

Ronald

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:39 am

Sadly not. While that would be beyond amazing Bethesda have made very clear that there will never ever be a Morrowind Remake. You can read the proof http://www.gamesradar.com/a-skyrim-remaster-might-be-on-the-way-but-heres-why-bethesda-will-never-do-morrowind-hd/

Rachel Hall

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:10 am

Yeah, it's very confirmed there won't be official remaster of Morrowind.

Here's hoping Skywind might eventually use the updated engine.

Dan Stevens

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:07 pm

Pete Hines said it would be to much work to remaster The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

A remaster of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion might happen one day. Might.

jeremey wisor

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:01 am

With Skyrim it's only the engine that's getting the update. Morrowind would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. Too much work, and they're probably scared of such a remake like a devil that's running away from incense. :P Too much fans that would hate on it no matter how good it could come out.

Chris Duncan

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:47 am

yeah, as much as i like Morrowind and think its a great game (especially for its time), a remaster wouldn't do it with todays market, they would need to do a complete remake if they were going to remarket it..

i think younger gamers will likely get very confused with dice roll combat, no quest markers, and what I will call more "cryptic quests".. I personally love that kind of stuff (one of the reasons i loved the Might and Magic games so much), but I do have a feeling the younger crowd who are not used to that kind of gameplay because they weren't gaming all throughout the 90s would get aggravated by those "DnD style" mechanics..

I mean come on, even those of us that love such mechanics to death have to admit, it doesn't make the game quite as easy to simply "pick up and play" as many of the blockbusters are today.. to those of us not familiar with such mechanics, it can be a pretty steep learning curve..

Oyuki Manson Lavey

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:00 am

In addition to what others have said, there is also a fan made remake called OpenMW that is pretty close to being released. It is a new 64 bit Morrowind engine (with a new 64 bit CS) that fans are building from scratch. PC only though, but it should allow modders much more flexibility to mod Morrowind in ways never possible before.
james kite

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:00 pm

I would be really angry, if Beth decided to make a Morrowind remaster. Why? Because remasters are already in works! - made by modders.

We have two projects - OpenMW that completely rewrites the engine and Skywind, that is a remake of Morrowind in Skyrim game.

If Bethesda decided to remaster it, would it mean death or less popularity to these projects? So I say NO for official Morrowind remaster.

Trish

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:07 pm

That doesn't help XBox users.

ShOrty

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:45 pm

Skywind might help xbox users if they can release a version that doesn't require SKSE. remember it's all new assets built from scratch in the Skyrim engine.
Adam Porter

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:26 pm

Aren't there size limits for mods on consoles? Something like 2GB total on XBox (and PS4 being 900MB). I could imagine Skywind easily exceeding that with all its new assets.

More than being "not familiar", some of the mechanics and design decisions just aren't good. They weren't good at the time, and they haven't gotten any better with age.

Releasing the game as-is, just with better textures and graphics, isn't going to win over very many people that are not already playing Morrowind, so at best you may be able to get some Morrowind fans to re-buy the game. But once you start changing mechanics to hopefully get new people, you're going to start cutting out other people who might have bought it. Just look at the Final Fantasy 7 remake, something that people have been calling for forever since it's the "best" FF game (though many would disagree and say FF6 was). Then they announced it and said that some things were being changed/modernized (in the hopes of getting newer players interested), and fans of the original got up in arms over it.

A remake of an old, nostalgic game is a no-win proposition, unless you can make it stand on its own in modern times (which necessitates making it different from the original).

flora

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:25 pm

Huleed, you are correct about the current size limits but I've heard speculation that the size limit may be increased to 5GB on Xbox.
Marine Arrègle

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:13 pm

Personally, I'd love to see it remade, with all the all mechanics, save for the balancing (to make self enchanting and pickpocketing actually possibl, eh?), with only the graphics and combat system modernized. I think people would dig that. I mean, a huge fan base grew around the souls games, and that's a game known for basically no tutorials, combat system that heavily punishes idiotism, and 90% of lore details that come from item descriptions. I have some faith. But it's not happening with Morrowind. It's just a project too risky to finance.

People who will use the final version will most likely consist mostly only of people who are already playing it now. OpenMW that will soon be released will be identical to the original (although much more stable), and will require user to already own an original copy of the game to begin with. It's not a remake at all, "just" an engine rewrite that will use all the originall assets. Furthermore, Morrowind currently lacks the amount of modders that could truly redesign how it looks, like for example, I don't think we have anyone who can do advanced animation, or do texture work like what has been done for Skyrim. With, at least currently, only a handful of modders that are highly rising in quality, it's going to be years before OpenMW truly separates itself from the current version.

Javaun Thompson

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:17 am

I think you are grossly underestimating the value of OpenMW. They are creating a whole new engine with a new CS that will have many new features. Open MW will open up many new possibilities and may very well attract new modders.
Lawrence Armijo

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:21 am

Emphasis on the word, "may."

One things for sure though, it's still exciting that OpenMW is finally almost ready for release.

Jinx Sykes

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:59 am

Morrowind has an active modding community right now and one reason no one has produced better animations is engine limitations that will no longer exist with OpenMW.
kristy dunn

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:54 am

What kind of animations are you referring to? Animations are created in a graphics program like 3DS Max or Blender as a .kf file associated with a mesh (sometimes as part of the mesh itself). The function of the engine is merely to play the animations at the proper time.

Do you have a specific animation in mind, one that you believe is not possible using a 2002-era Netimmerse engine?

Kirsty Collins

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Dodging animations, for instance. Or simply better animations for mods like Abot's real time travel mods, so the movement of the silt striders is smooth and not jerky. I've heard very knowledgeable modders like PeterBitt say these aren't possible on the current engine, but would be with OpenMW.
Amy Melissa

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm just estimating based on what our current community displays. A lot of big name modders aren't willing to go backwards, they will mod whatever's currently hot, heck, even Skyrim already lost some of the biggest names because they moved on (last time I was installing Skyrim I was surprised how many big mods were no longer supported). But I really really hope you end up right.

James Hate

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:24 am

We'll be back in Morrowind in a future title before we're back in Morrowind in the previous, eponymous title. Don't, however, mistake that for me being opposed in any way to a Morrowind remaster. That's just the realist in me.
glot

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:26 am

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'd be happy with Morrowind and Oblivion having a simple backward compatibility. I don't need anything extra.

No extra graphics or anything like that.
Skrapp Stephens

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:42 pm

These two sort of clash against with one another, since its in-game mechanics tied directly to combat. Attributes, spell lists, and weapon skills would need to be (I would hope) ripped from the ground up and reinvented before you could put off a product you could show off in the daylight. Which I would be totally for, if only because I always found its Class/Attribute system to be pretty weakest part of the entire franchise up to that point.

CHANONE

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:05 pm

I was mainly thinking about fluid animations rather than staccato swings, but when we're at it I wouldn't mind seeing those things redone from the ground up, even though I personally didn't dislike the class/attribute system.

NIloufar Emporio

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:37 pm

No. Skywind is basically what a lot of people want but don't realize it. Skywind is not going to be skyrim with a fresh coat of morrowind. They are completely Re doing EVERYTHING. It won't have the same ski building as skyrim, it will have it's own crafting system, it's own UI, no quest markers, enemies won't level to you, it will be so much like morrowind as if morrowind were made today. It would be like it morrowind was made in 2013 or something.

It's going to be great, and the people who bash it really don't understand the whole project and I urge them to go look it up because the people working on it have done an incredible job, and they need more help from people so they can release it.

All of the assets are created from the ground up as well. Legally they cannot use much from the other games. So they create it all. It's pretty cool. And yeah it won't have diceroll combat, but the combat will not be like skyrim either. It's going to be it's own entity. So it may turn off both skyrim and morrowind fans, but for those In between who want something different but is basically morrowind, this is the one to anticipate.

They've also made so much progress, we'll more than likely have this before the next elder scrolls, and this might as well be the next installment. It's morrowind remade if there ever was one.
jessica robson

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:32 am

Most enemies leveled to you in Morrowind. Most loot was leveled, too. Bethesda has never made an unleveled roleplaying game.

Ebou Suso

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion