Snow

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:42 pm

We all know there is snow in Skyrim but I have a question regarding the snow in Skyrim for all of you, would you like to see great detail into the snow such as if your character spends enough time out in the snow and if there is now falling, would you like it to collect onto your character's clothing such as the fur on some armour and capes if there is any in Skyrim, also the epic beards, snow gathering on your character's beards if you choose for him to have one. Think back to the first Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Gimli when they were all going through all of that snow, that is how I really want Skyrim to be like.

Do any of you think it could be possible for them to do? On GTA and Read Dead Redemption, your character's clothes got damp if you got wet, so I imagine it should be possible to do something like this but with snow instead, no?

I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you for reading.
Tamara Dost

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:24 am

Of course, good weather effects can go a very long way to make a game look good.

In fact, I'd want most of the graphical power to be spent on good snow.
Amy Melissa

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:20 pm

I would like dynamic snow collection, but that is a difficult concept to employ. I would prefer more time be spent on other things.
Alyesha Neufeld

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:34 am

I just want a REALLY in depth environment. Unique landscapes + All Natural ala O mods. + things they just can't code, lasting footprints in the snow that might get filled in. Accumulating snowpatches that might melt depending on temperature. I want a Very in depth and beautiful environment
Evaa

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:30 am

I don't really mind the detail and graphics, I just want good gameplay.
Louise Dennis

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:51 am

It would be a very neat touch, but it's far from necessary.

I think some interesting things could be done with footprints and snow depth though... so on thin layers of snow you just leave footprints, but as the layer thickens you have to wade more and more until the snow is actually affecting your movement speed. This would have to be done by zone rather than dynamically, but it might be neat.
FLYBOYLEAK

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:00 am

That would be awesome dude, and I'm really loving the epic viking beard idea being thrown around. I must have one in real life before I die as well. But regarding the snow, I don't think it would be TOO hard to do. But, then again, I don't have much knowledge when it comes to programing, sooooo... :shrug:
Anne marie

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:03 pm

I think Bethesda probably will do something like this, because a lot of Skyrim is going to have snow - and if they want the game to look good it'll have to have better looking snow than Oblivion somehow. With regular snow textures, even if they're higher res it'll still just end up looking like the Jerral mountains. They'd have to have some kind of dynamic snow system, or at least a way for the snow depth to change over time or something of the sort. I'm optimistic that they'll have something like that because they seem to like wowing people (or they did with oblivion), and they're saying this is an all new engine.
Hannah Whitlock

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:42 pm

Metal Gear Solid 4 had that kind of effect. Snow would cover Snake as he got caught in blizzards, so it can be done.
Elizabeth Davis

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:21 am

A adaptive snow shader would be nice, so the snow appears in more realistic places and to avoid any unrealism in terms of where the snow has gathered and fallen etc.
leigh stewart

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:04 am

In all honesty, as long as the snow is not a static screen effect like in Oblivion, I'm good! Morrowind had better snow than Oblivion, and that's hard to concieve...

I want the snowflakes to whoosh past you as you run, jump and fall, not follow your character.

Oblivion snow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnst326b7gM

Morrowind didn't have this issue, and had snowstorms. granted the snow was in an expansion pack, and the storms were retextured ash storms, but still.
Jonathan Windmon

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:55 am

Uncharted 2 had a pretty good effect regarding how Nate looked like when snowing.
JESSE

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:58 am

snow in the killzone 3 beta looks amazing.
krystal sowten

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:35 am

I don't much care if the snow that's falling is actually falling and collecting. honestly that's a tiny detail that could easily be overlooked in regular gameplay. What I WOULD like to see however is simply deep snow; being able to see your footfalls, trudging through snow drifts on top of a mountain while a blizzard rages, that's definitely on my wish list.
StunnaLiike FiiFii

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:32 am

In real life, I am so sick of the cold and snow. Yes, it is pretty. However, it is cold, cold, cold, cold. The last thing I want to do in the winter is play a game about being outside in the winter. I'd rather play a game on a tropical island, to take my mind away from the numbing butt-freezing cold and ice.
Curveballs On Phoenix

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:52 am

As long as it's not as shiny as the snow in Oblivion. My EYES.
Rodney C

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:57 am

In all honesty, as long as the snow is not a static screen effect like in Oblivion, I'm good! Morrowind had better snow than Oblivion, and that's hard to concieve...

I want the snowflakes to whoosh past you as you run, jump and fall, not follow your character.

Oblivion snow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnst326b7gM

Haha, I've seen far worse, like when it was just a 2D overlay right in front of your character, so even if you looked straight up, snow/rain was still falling from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen.
Abi Emily

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:54 pm

It would be a very neat touch, but it's far from necessary.

I think some interesting things could be done with footprints and snow depth though... so on thin layers of snow you just leave footprints, but as the layer thickens you have to wade more and more until the snow is actually affecting your movement speed. This would have to be done by zone rather than dynamically, but it might be neat.

OMG, YES! And if there end up being seasonal differences in weather phenomena... I can't even take it. It would be too rad.
Nick Swan

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:24 pm

I'll be happy with falling snow, snowdrifts and maybe some footprints to discover. I don't need to see the snow accumulate on me or around me. I'd much rather have that time spent on quests, building good dungeons, handplacing loot, dialogue, etc.
WTW

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:51 pm

having foot prints persist in the environment, and slowly filling in would make hunting dynamics and much more entertaining. Just thinking of tracking something (or someone) through the snow gives me thrills!!
DarkGypsy

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:01 am

Temporary footprints left by the player that fade away would be nice.
BRAD MONTGOMERY

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:35 am

If they improve upon the weather in any way i will be happy. I hope they make the snow collect and have different weather cycles BUT LESS RAIN!
lydia nekongo

Return to V - Skyrim