Soul Trap is Useless

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:53 am

I was talking to my friend today and he was complaining of not being able to find enough soul gems to perform the soul trap ability so he can charge up his weapons. He even said he is considering re-starting the game just so he can get Azura's Star and keep it (instead of giving it to Martin).

I told him (we're both PC players btw) that he should just do what I do (the intelligent thing) and just open up the construction set, place 500 Varla stones (weightless, naturally) and put them in his Anvil Home (or any other home he wants a safe storage space).

For some reason, he doesn't want to do this but at the same time, he is clearly jealous as I was showing him all my great mods, i.e. my endless supply of Varla stones, my health spells that give me 500+ health without using any magicka and my shield effects on my Hood of Invincibility which make me pretty much impossibe to beat in-game.

I'm sharing this wisdom btw as he (plus another friend of mine) just don't understand that you can make Oblivion work for you, not visa versa.

Spawning Varla stones is better than soul trap/collecting soul gems. Agreed?
Sarah Knight

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:16 am

no that is just cheap, and also soul trap is very useful if you have black soul gems
Lily Something

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:42 pm

I was talking to my friend today and he was complaining of not being able to find enough soul gems to perform the soul trap ability so he can charge up his weapons. He even said he is considering re-starting the game just so he can get Azura's Star and keep it (instead of giving it to Martin).

I told him (we're both PC players btw) that he should just do what I do (the intelligent thing) and just open up the construction set, place 500 Varla stones (weightless, naturally) and put them in his Anvil Home (or any other home he wants a safe storage space).

For some reason, he doesn't want to do this but at the same time, he is clearly jealous as I was showing him all my great mods, i.e. my endless supply of Varla stones, my health spells that give me 500+ health without using any magicka and my shield effects on my Hood of Invincibility which make me pretty much impossibe to beat in-game.

I'm sharing this wisdom btw as he (plus another friend of mine) just don't understand that you can make Oblivion work for you, not visa versa.

Never played on PC with mods, but that is what I do on the PS3 but a little different.
I use the duplication glitch to duplicate varla stones, and use them.
But I duplicate Grand soul Gems for enchanting uses.
I dont know whether you can use the dupe glitch on the pc though..\
But to answer your question yes. they are a lot better.
Amy Gibson

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:09 am

no that is just cheap, and also soul trap is very useful if you have black soul gems

Spawning 500 Varla Stones>soul trap :) I explained why. You haven't.
Paul Rice

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:15 am

In my opinion, no its not. Although your friend was kind of dumb to give up Azura's Star, I still think what you are doing fits my definition of cheating. But hey, its a single-player game, do what thou wilt. To me, you didn't earn those Varla Stones so you don't deserve them. But, like I said, it really doesn't affect me one way or the other.
Sarah Kim

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:01 am

Spawning 500 Varla Stones>soul trap :) I explained why. You haven't.

Maybe the fact that some people actually enjoy playing the game without cheating?
Michelle Smith

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:04 am

Your cheating good job. Im not impressed. :hubbahubba:

Yeah you can mod your butt off and break the whole game. :shakehead: For those who actually play games for fun and entertainment, and are smart enough to use the things given to us, soul trap is far from useless.
Sarah Knight

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:42 pm

In my opinion, no its not. Although your friend was kind of dumb to give up Azura's Star, I still think what you are doing fits my definition of cheating. But hey, its a single-player game, do what thou wilt. To me, you didn't earn those Varla Stones so you don't deserve them. But, like I said, it really doesn't affect me one way or the other.

I did earn them. I spent a while learning the construction set and improving my modding skills. Every single Varla Stone I earned and I don't have to use soul trap or worry about Azura's star. Geez, I'm trying to share my wisdom here, a little gratitude is in order no?
Ross Thomas

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:36 am

Where is he looking for soul gems? Go after necromancer and conjurer lairs, and any caves that have beasts/animals in them - those usually turn up plenty of soul gems and enchanted stuff. He can sell tons of stuff he finds and just pay one of the mage guilds to charge up a weapon. I never use Azura's Star much at all. I find soul gems when out looting, use the trap spell and charge weapons on the fly. Like any good adventuress. :D

Maybe he doesn't want to add in soul gems or varla stones because for him it's more fun to have a goal for dungeon diving and so on. I never cheat stuff like that in... I like collecting what I need.
Lakyn Ellery

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:43 am

Lol, Gumshoe i would suggest trying to not to brag about mods in here... people freak out.
I really could care less and I would do the same thing if i played on PC because ive already played through everything on the ps3.
But just saying. People freak out, as you can see.
Lloyd Muldowney

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:24 am

I never use Azura's Star much at all.

I honestly do not think I could play Oblivion without Azura's Star.
Michelle davies

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:14 am

Where is he looking for soul gems? Go after necromancer and conjurer lairs, and any caves that have beasts/animals in them - those usually turn up plenty of soul gems and enchanted stuff. He can sell tons of stuff he finds and just pay one of the mage guilds to charge up a weapon. I never use Azura's Star much at all. I find soul gems on the fly, use the trap spell and charge weapons on the fly. Like any good adventuress. :D

Maybe he doesn't want to add in soul gems or varla stones because for him it's more fun to have a goal for dungeon diving and so on. I never cheat stuff like that in... I like collecting what I need.

He's too lazy to learn the construction set. All he needs are varla stones. Nothing else.
Zach Hunter

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:36 pm

I honestly do not think I could play Oblivion without Azura's Star.

Just spawn 500 varla stones. Sheesh it's not rocket science.
Heather Stewart

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:45 am

Stuff and nonesense! Your cat avatar btw reminds me of the spinster at the end of my street (she has about 10 cats lol and is lonely and divorced). She stays up all day and night chatting on the internet and has no life lmao. Cat people generally don't speak much common sense from my experience too.

LOL Leydenne is gonna keel you
Robert Jackson

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:22 am

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Azura%27s_Star

:facepalm:

Even better when you can summon a creature and trap it's soul in the thing. A nice way to keep your enchanted weapon powered when there is no creature souls to trap. One of the game's loading screens specifically points this fact out.
Amy Siebenhaar

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:05 am

Ubooya, stop trolling my thread and add something worthwile please.
Adrian Morales

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:14 pm

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Azura%27s_Star

:facepalm:

Even better when you can summon a creature and trap it's soul in the thing. A nice way to keep your enchanted weapon powered when there is no creature souls to trap. One of the game's loading screens specifically points this fact out.

How many times do I have to say it: just spawn 500 Varla Stones. Job done :)

Sheesh I thought my friend was clueless please take my advice as it's helpful!
D IV

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:06 am

I just make a mod that sets all quests to complete so that way I don't have to bother playing the game at all. It is much easier.
Jodie Bardgett

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:22 pm

You didnt earn anything by practicing modding. Thats like playing MW2 and shooting infinite toobs with one man army and saying "I learned the Perk system."

Your a cheater, your kind tick me off, and I dont think you will be here long. Your either trolling, a moron, a loser, or under 18.
Lalla Vu

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:17 am

I just make a mod that sets all quests to complete so that way I don't have to bother playing the game at all. It is much easier.

Now that IS a waste of time. Please don't compare my gameplay advice to yours, it's not comparable. Mine is actually worthwhile and helpful.
Jason White

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:32 am

You didnt earn anything by practicing modding. Thats like playing MW2 and shooting infinite toobs with one man army and saying "I learned the Perk system."

Your a cheater, your kind tick me off, and I dont think you will be here long. Your either trolling, a moron, a loser, or under 18.

Cheating? So when you enchant items, are you cheating too?

Spawning varla stones should be textbook practice really. It certainly puts an end to repetitive (and boring) soul trap.
Nicole M

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:28 am

Well, as was said, some people don't like to use mods/console commands for such things while others, like yourself, do. To each their own.

You could have also written a post saying how you could use console commands to update your journal completing every quest in the game while still in the tutorial and claim "questing is useless" Play how you like, if your friend or others don't want to follow your example, that's up to them.

Edit: mcc84 beat me to it, should have spawned some varla stones and I could have gotten in my post sooner. :wink_smile:
Lil Miss

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:40 am

I play on 360, so I can't "spawn" anything, except maybe carpal tunnel syndrome from using my controller too much. And, even if I could "spawn" things I wouldn't. I play Oblivion from, apparently, an entirely different perspective than you do. What you describe yourself as doing wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable to me, as the way I play it. I want the game to be a challenge.
Khamaji Taylor

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:47 pm

I play on 360, so I can't "spawn" anything, except maybe carpal tunnel syndrome from using my controller too much. And, even if I could "spawn" things I wouldn't. I play Oblivion from, apparently, an entirely different perspective than you do. What you describe yourself as doing wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable to me, as the way I play it. I want the game to be a challenge.

You're on xbox? Enough said. I can't take anyone seriously who doesn't play PC. Sorry, you're not a real fan of Oblivion if you won't get a PC.
luke trodden

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:30 am

You're on xbox? Enough said. I can't take anyone seriously who doesn't play PC. Sorry, you're not a real fan of Oblivion if you won't get a PC.

Leydenne is gonna shut you down real soon son. Good luck growing up.
Tasha Clifford

Next

Return to IV - Oblivion