Space themed RP Interest CheckBrainstorm

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:32 am

In the short time I've been here, I've noticed that there are some trends with the RP's around here, and I've realized that the weirder elements of the setting are usually ignored or declared to be insignificant easter eggs. Things like Mothership Zeta and Old World Blues, things like 50s super science and alien technology. Fair enough, but I've always wanted to have an RP that embraced the weird stuff, rather than shun and ignore it. I'm a bit of an oddball in that I love the weird stuff, the alien stuff in particular, and I'd like to see if anyone would be interested in an RP that explores the implications of man discovering, or rediscovering, the most incredible of the science and technology we've seen in the setting. And now I've decided to gauge interest in such an RP.

I'm still working on the premise and if anyone's interested in exploring things getting weird in the wasteland, I'd love to hear their input in developing the RP. My idea right now is that in several years have passed since the events of New Vegas. In the Capital Wasteland, things are heavily inspired by the http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/8747/ mod, a very popular mod at Fallout 3 Nexus (find the wiki http://terranstarshipcommand.wikia.com/wiki/Terran_Starship_Command_Wiki and the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLk2vrojZV4); the Lone Wanderer, aided by a group of Enclave mutineers and recruited wastelanders, has turned Mothership Zeta into a base of operations for the so-called Terran Starship Command, and seek to change the face of the Capital Wasteland. In the west, New Vegas, led by Robert House has begun a technological renaissance, and with the aid of the Big MT, with his loyal Courier at the helm, it has proceeded far faster than House could have initially predicted. As it becomes clear to the inhabitants of the wastelands that things are changing, something big happens: New Vegas astronauts, flying a REPCONN rocket, make contact with Zeta, now christened the Olympus. As if major change wasn't already on the horizon, now the two wastelands are linked. Other elements, such as the Hubologists, Bright Brotherhood, and B.O.M.B.-001 can be potentially explored as well.

There are, of course, a few things that I need to make clear.

(1) This is not meant to be a silly RP. The premise is arguably silly, but it is intended to seriously explore the implications of such advanced sciences and technologies being brought to the wasteland, how people adapt, and when two advanced societies make contact.

(2) There will be no aliens. It'll be under the assumptions that the MZ DLC happened and the aliens and abominations were mostly killed, and as per the mod I draw inspiration from, the surviving alien civilians went missing. The only inhabitants of the ship will be humans.
(2) There will be no threat of the Death Ray. It was disabled, is currently beyond repair at the moment, and the ship will not be repositioned to try and use the other one.
(3) Not everyone will know that Zeta is an alien ship. Most will assume the recon ships, weapons, and robots are all of pre-war human-made design.
(4) People will figure out some of the technology, but not all of it, at least not in the short term. The mothership will not be used to fly to different systems or launch teleport beacons all over the world. At least for the time being, space travel is restricted to the area around Earth and its moon.
(5) It'd focus on small scale things, not nations over the continent or the world. This will not not be a convention RP and will initially entail just the Capital Wasteland and Mojave Wasteland.
(6) Having the alien tech will not be an instant "I win" button. Nor is the Big MT's technology.

(7) For those of you who are familiar with the Mothership Zeta Crew mod, it will not be a perfect replication of it. I'll be taking some creative liberties to make it fit the RP better, and frankly make it slightly less OP.

(8) At least at the start of the RP, things in both wastelands will be largely the same as they are now, with some additions of certain technologies. Things will change, however.

So, any input? Any interest, or ideas to develop the RP's premise?

Marcin Tomkow

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:32 am

It's a fun premise. I might help you develop it. But as far as RPing goes I'm full up. Got too many RPs I'm in already. I'm planning a RP around Alaska, where it was one of the test cities for Big MT. So a lot of weird creatures and all that. But I intend on them just being a background. But I'm interested to say the least.

Doniesha World

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:44 pm

If B.O.M.B. 001 might be explored, it could be interesting to incorporate Dr. Presper in some way.

Stephani Silva

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:38 pm

I'm interested having played the mod myself but also the fact thag Big MT. isn't being left out so this has my vote of approval
Motionsharp

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:16 pm

Well I was always reluctant about aliens in Fallout but this is a good change up instead of the redundant RP's we have on here. I've always wanted to do a Fallout 1950s space RP with differences. Though this is interesting.

Maybe instead of aliens you can have a futuristic society of humans. One of my Fallout Space RP ideas revolves around the worlds richest and wealthiest on Earth before the war funded a massive spaceship construction to transport people offworld to Mars. The ship armed with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvhOepio4Q and wait some years in crygoenic sleep until Mars is Earth like and settle down on it. Jump to Post NV, the futuristic Martians (Humans) make contact with post-apocalyptic Earth.

Spaceman

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:11 pm

I like the idea, but I think I'd like it better if it didn't entail the two coasts coming together. To me it's just so unlikely and sucha great distance that it gets under my skin. Personally I'd like it better as House finding another area nearby that was largely untouched, or just untouched enough to be salvaged.....or since we're going into space it could be started from Cape Canaveral or however that's spelled. It could start from damn near anywhere
Silencio

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:26 pm

But we're dealing with a Mothership Zeta mod inspired RP which involves a giant alien spacecraft orbiting space with the capability of instant teleportation to damn near anywhere.

Having a connection between the two coasts seems entirely plausible under those circumstances.

Philip Lyon

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:55 pm

I see what you're saying, or at least I think I do...

But the existence of such a ship in no way impacts the likelihood of communications between coasts or vice versa.

Justifying one departure from canon (or just from central themes) of the series is great (it breathes new life into things and can create inspiration for another change to make later) but justifying one departure with another departure is a slippery slope. It's not your thought I disagree with but the way you came to it.

Edit: Although yeah I guess I disagree with the thought too. I feel like too many changes make it no longer really Fallout.

I do really like the idea though.

I've been reading a lot of science fiction lately in the form of "Greatest Sci Fi Stories of the Year" collections, and doing a story with a bit more science fiction and advanced technology sounds great. There was an attempt a while ago to do an RP about a group of people on a space station, kind of like a Vault only IN SPAAAACE, that are dealing with the difficulties of living in cramped quarters and with an approaching landing date. It was fun, this looks fun too.

The Time Car

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:48 am

I'm not sure how detailed Crimson wants to go into the mod, but he's basing this loosely on the Mothership Zeta Crew mod.

In that mod, a group of ex-Enclave soldiers takes control of Mothership Zeta and, with the Lonewander as Captain, forms a space command military basically. Using the Zeta warship and smaller alien ships as their fleet. In the mod itself, they use teleportation to go to a variety of locations, including the moon and to an undersea location. In addition, the Mod starts out and is largely based in the Capital Wasteland, so its almost necessary for the two coasts to collide in some respect.

As a side-note, I think it would be interesting to include the Bloomfield Space Center as well. It would be a shame to have a space-based RP and not have it involved in some way.

Marie Maillos

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:39 am

It's not so much of departure as focusing on the stuff that's always been in the setting, but always remained on the sidelines or written off as jokes. And how they'd impact the setting if let out of the bag. True, it's not really true to the core setting of the series, but that's why I'm looking into this, I'm getting tired of the same repetitive thing.

Regarding communication, it is true that at first it'd be difficult, nearly impossible. I'd like first contact (not between humans and aliens, but between human factions) between to be a major theme of the RP. Early on communication would be restricted to spacecraft communicating in orbit or flying to the other's backyard, but it wouldn't be impossible to set up satellite communication between them and perhaps increased rocket travel from one end to the other. It is, admittedly, pretty ambitious, to have both wastelands at once as it would restrict interaction quite a bit, especially if the key players restrict who gets to fly. On the other hand, restricting it to one wasteland would mean that the biggest fish in each pond wouldn't really have anything to rival or compare to. And of course, the premise of the RP would mean that instead of a bunch of minor independent factions like in Columbia or House of Cards, it'd be dominated by a few major factions, with smaller factions either making themselves relevant or fading into unimportance and obsolescence. Although it'd also make relevant some of the more minor factions, like the Bright Brotherhood and Hubologists.

Edit: Oh, and LT, I love the idea of bringing in the Van Buren stuff into the RP. I'd love to see a third spacefaring group in the RP, and if not, it'd still make for some excellent plot points on the west coast.

Dina Boudreau

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:02 pm

Awesome. In that case I'd love to take up the mantle of a Van Buren based faction. Maybe with Presper at its head and based out of both Bloomfield on earth and the B.O.M.B. 001 in space.

djimi

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:17 pm

I'm still trying to figure out how factions will work. One way would be where people are able to take control of various factions like in Columbia and House of Cards, but it's kind of hard for factions to stay relevant when others are going into space, and communication will be limited at the very start. Alternately, it could involve chiefly a few major factions which multiple RPers can join up with, more like like the Grayditch RP. Either way I've got time to brainstorm, there seems to be a lot of RPs at the moment.

Suzie Dalziel

Return to Fallout Series Discussion