Spellcasting priorities for NPCs ?

Post » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:58 am

Hello,

After a long break away from Morrowind, here I am again, working on a little gameplay mod for Morrowind. To put it simply, it consists in erasing every magic user's spell-list and refilling it with only a handful of custom spells that fit the NPC's class and level, and are actually useful (no more Drain Personality, Open Lock or Weakness to Fire but no Fireball, for example). But I am facing a wall that compromises that little mod of mine.

The first class I modified works great: Battlemages use all their spells accordingly, first their Elemental Shields + Bound Weapon, Bound Shield, or Summon combo (three spells with two effects each). Once they're buffed, they alternate their Elemental Damage + Attribute Absorption spells. Element 1 first, then Element 2, then 3, then back to 1 after the effect fades... perfect ! Exactly what I wanted.

But Crusaders and Healers refuse to behave. Crusaders have 4 spells: An Tri-Attribute Drain spell that they use first (good!), a Health/Magick/Fatigue damage spell that they chain-cast after that (good!), a Restore Health spell that they use when they are dangerously low (good!) and a Fortify Long Blade/Blunt Weapon/Strength... that they never cast (bad!).

Healers have a similar issue; they use their Blind/Sound combo, then chain-cast their Absorb Health/Magicka combo, but only use their Shield/Sanctuary combo once in a blue moon. Logic dictates it should be the first spell they cast, but it is not so. Sometimes they cast it twice in a row despite the fact the first spell took effect, and after the effect fades they take a (randomly) long time to reapply it.

I tested several things to change the NPCs AI, such as changing the Magicka cost of spells to see if it changed their priority use, but no luck. I also ticked the "always succeed" box, to no avail either. Lastly, I tried changing the magic skills values to see if NPCs were more prone to use Alteration spells over Mysticism if their Alteration skill was 100 and their Mysticism skill 10 or something. Still no result.

I was wondering if someone with more knowledge of Morrowind's intricacies than me could help me solve this problem, or if this is just something that cannot be helped ?

suniti

Return to III - Morrowind