Starlight Drive-in: Broken Bollards Bug

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:40 pm

I've had this issue with Starlight Drive-In since launch and I wanted to find out if anyone else has found a solution to it.

The bollards at Starlight Drive-in keep breaking off and getting in the way as they roll around uselessly.

For those who aren't familiar with the word. A bollard is a post or barrier column used to direct car and foot traffic. So those orange posts on the side of the road when people are doing construction are bollards. And in Fallout 4, those iron posts that are about 2-3 feet tall and look like wrought iron chess pawn pieces are bollards as well. It's those in particular I'm talking about here.

When I or an NPC run into them at Starlight Drive-in, they break and the bollard rolls around on the ground, leaving a metal circle on the ground where the base of the bollard is still stuck to the spot where it originally sat. It doesn't look like this is supposed to happen though, because that base metal disc has a rough, crappy texture on it and it looks like a random section of the texture used for the bollard itself.

The broken bollards then just roll around the map, and you cannot pick them up or scrap them. The only way to move them is to walk into them which force them to roll around in response.

So has anyone else run into this issue? And is there a solution to it that anyone's found?

And by solution I mean anything other than rolling them into a corner of the map and ignoring the broken bollards.

Thanks.

NAtIVe GOddess

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:06 am

Other than having a destructible environment, I cannot see the sense in these being breakable, much less not being able to remove/scrap them, considering you could get cement from them.

But no, it's not a "bug" and there's nothing that can be done about them. The "disc" they leave behind is the base where they have broken off, that's why it looks "rough textured". It's an uneven break.

You can try launching them with grenades or by placing mines next to them and shooting the mines, but their Havok behaviors may not allow them to launch, but just roll around.

Spencey!

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:13 pm

Oh. I understand completely what's going on there. The reason why the bollards' base looks so odd is because the system's trying to continue to apply the bollard texture to a mesh that not designed to take that texture.

I'm really wondering why THESE items are destructible. These were breaking before the weapon debris system was added with update 1.3. It's a real issue with any objects in the settlements because those cells really don't reset. They don't right?

And it's not weapon damage that's dislodging the bollards, it's a minor collision with an actor.

Roanne Bardsley

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:31 am

Yup - I've been spending a lot of time in the drive-in over the last coupla days, and was just pondering these very questions myself...
I kicked most of them over into the woods (wearing power armor).
It's a shame they break off because, in real life, they would be very durable.
Outlasting just about anything else in the rickety old drive-in property!
Alexis Acevedo

Return to Fallout 4