starting to feel real

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:50 pm

i find fallouts getting more realalistic with gay/lisbian npc or comapnions
Melanie

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:44 pm

OOOOOpppppsssss!!

While I agree with you, a similar topic just got locked and it doesn't take the Great Kreskin to predict that this one will, too.

It only takes about a page or two before the conversation drops off into the sewers. I'm not even sure this would fly in Community Discussion.

Understand this is not a reflection on your reasonable comment.
NAtIVe GOddess

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:03 am

That's something I want my favorite games to be...as real as possible. I'm happy about the stories and characters. I'm doing For Auld Lang Syne at the moment and getting closer to my first endgame. All I can thnk is, "I don't want it to end!" :)
Dalton Greynolds

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:13 am

Not that it matters to me one way or the other, but at what point do you say that you have had too much realism in any video game. Personally when I play games it's not to be reminded of reality, but to somewhat get away from it. Maybe that's why we like TES so much.
Sam Parker

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:44 pm

i like how they dont advertise it. they dont talk weird and wear pink bandanas, theyre just normal peolple. like in real life
Alisha Clarke

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:04 am

i like how they dont advertise it. they dont talk weird and wear pink bandanas, theyre just normal peolple. like in real life

I did find two cliches: Betsy (though she's only a lisbian because of mental trauma) and Jimmy from Casa Madrid (though that could just be a way to get more customers.) Arcade is my favorite just because it's easy to miss the fact that he's gay, same with Veronica. I like how real they both are.
Jade Barnes-Mackey

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:02 pm

i find fallouts getting more realalistic with gay/lisbian npc or comapnions

Getting more ? There were gay people in 1+2 iirc. I think only 3 broke that trend, but they already had flak with the med-x thing, so not to bad I guess.
Robert Garcia

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:04 pm

Getting more ? There were gay people in 1+2 iirc. I think only 3 broke that trend, but they already had flak with the med-x thing, so not to bad I guess.

oh i didnt know there where gays in 1 and 2
Julie Serebrekoff

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:46 am

Not that it matters to me one way or the other, but at what point do you say that you have had too much realism in any video game. Personally when I play games it's not to be reminded of reality, but to somewhat get away from it. Maybe that's why we like TES so much.

Considering how old the series is, I don't wonder. There are, however, major mods with gay characters, story lines and companions.

i like how they don't advertise it. they don't talk weird and wear pink bandannas, they're just normal people. like in real life

If you take the Confirmed Bachelor Perk (now there's a euphemism for ya) you will find several more. There will also be characters who "just like you" for no apparent reason. It's a buddy thing)

I agree with you that it's generally handled well without the blatant cliches—apart from those FinalWish called out.
Racheal Robertson

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:29 am

There were gays in 3, or at least strong indicators (I know that Anthony Ling is gay or at least Bi since I saw him hit on Gustavo) I think three just tried to go more into the 1950's 'dont discuss it in public' things
Danielle Brown

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:06 pm

There were gays in 3, or at least strong indicators (I know that Anthony Ling is gay or at least Bi since I saw him hit on Gustavo) I think three just tried to go more into the 1950's 'dont discuss it in public' things

Don't forget Flak and Shrapnel, they've definitely got an 'Odd Couple' relationship going on.
Nicole Coucopoulos

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:46 am

OOOOOpppppsssss!!

While I agree with you, a similar topic just got locked and it doesn't take the Great Kreskin to predict that this one will, too.

It only takes about a page or two before the conversation drops off into the sewers. I'm not even sure this would fly in Community Discussion.

There is furry thread in the community discussion i think.

Anyway, I like how they handled it in new vegas. Arcade and Veronica are my favourite companions in the vanilla game. (namely because of their voices but whatever)
Queen

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:36 am

it's not realistic. there's only 4 human companions, and 2 of them are gay. how exactly is that realistic? and how is it a good business strategy? gay players are a relatively tiny fraction of players. sure, gay characters can be fun, like zevran from dragon age, but the gays in this game are boring. sure it may be realistic that they're boring just like most other non-gay people, but games should be made to be fun, not boring.
Kill Bill

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:25 pm

I didn't think Arcade was boring at all. I loved the way he expressed sadness just before he wasted something. :D He was a doctor, after all. He was fearless in battle, going right into the enemy's face. I cried for his personal quest, especially when
Spoiler
he left. :(
And I found him to be a complete hero even if others didn't
Spoiler
at the end when his end scenes were played.

And I think that life shouldn't have much to do with business strategy. Human rights for everyone, not just for some. If that sentiment gets this thread locked, I'm sorry but it's ok. Mods, do what you need to do. Thanks and happy new year.
Blaine

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:23 am

sure, gay characters can be fun, like zevran from dragon age, but the gays in this game are boring. sure it may be realistic that they're boring just like most other non-gay people, but games should be made to be fun, not boring.

BioWare took the safe way with Dragon Age though, as both "gay" love interests go both ways. Same with Mass Effect actually, specifically making an alien race that can breed with any gender of any race :rolleyes: Though i'd be lying if i said said blue space elves wouldn't work for me ;)

Both Veronica and Arcade are my favorites because of their personalities, IMO they're in no way "boring". And the fact that their orientation just comes up during normal discussion as a "by the way" instead of making it the central point of their character is a nice way of dealing with it.
stevie trent

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:37 pm

I like it when games are realistic I like to put myself in the game which is why I like fallout and oblivion so much,but if fallout was real life I would constantly have to turn myself off then on(not sixually) because life would always freeze.And its not very realistic that one day the sniper rifle can do like 80 points of damage and the next do like 30 which is only few points more than the hunting rifle a rusty gun with rotting wood held together by duct tape.
Nomee

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:17 pm

I liek Sergio. He is pretty loud and proud.
Scarlet Devil

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:51 pm

I liked the way some gay characters were treated (Veronica is very believable AND highly entertaining) - but I found it disturbing that just about half the female NPCs in the game were either explicitly lisbian or transparently hinted upon as being lisbian.

(Mind you, I didn't do the actual count, but it's a very strong impression I got).

P.S. On a side note, FISTO was easily the most disturbing thing I've ever encountered in any computer game.
Oyuki Manson Lavey

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:28 am

P.S. On a side note, FISTO was easily the most disturbing thing I've ever encountered in any computer game.

I guess this is a cue to link screenshot of the Broodmother from Dragon Age? :P
Andrew Tarango

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:17 am

BioWare took the safe way with Dragon Age though, as both "gay" love interests go both ways. Same with Mass Effect actually, specifically making an alien race that can breed with any gender of any race :rolleyes: Though i'd be lying if i said said blue space elves wouldn't work for me ;)

Both Veronica and Arcade are my favorites because of their personalities, IMO they're in no way "boring". And the fact that their orientation just comes up during normal discussion as a "by the way" instead of making it the central point of their character is a nice way of dealing with it.

the safe route? safe from what? it's completely unreasonable to expect them to make 2 out of 4 love interests gay only, considering the ratio of gay/straight players, you should be grateful having 2 characters that have a gay side.
aisha jamil

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Did you see the size of his hands!? It actually endeared me to James Garret—he can actually still walk :goodjob:

I guess this is a cue to link screenshot of the Broodmother from Dragon Age? :P

Yes, please. DA:O is still sitting on my shelf. I can't find the time to invest in it fully.
Josh Dagreat

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:05 am

My favorite companion is Veronica, she's nice and her interactions feel very real as well as her background.

And before someone messes up this thread I'd like to add that in my opininon I couldn't care less about the sixual orientation of a polygon-make belive character, it's suppose to be a post-apocalitc world were civilization and social labels are long gone. I bet that in the 50's pre-war world the homophobia was there in all it's "glory" but now it's gone.

"The bun... is in your mind"

Metwad ATHF
My blood

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:22 pm

Still missing fat people. Common 70% of the world population is obese(not really). Where they at?
Far'ed K.G.h.m

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Still missing fat people. Common 70% of the world population is obese(not really). Where they at?

They must gone extinct. C'mon: 200 years,No food, Being hunted by raiders, legion, mutated beasts, no real medical treatments, general lifespan very short for anyone, Darwin already stated "survival of the fittest". And tha's for the ones left outside the Vaults, where there is rationing, supply issues and if a group of people is expected to survive on the long run they got to stay healthy. And last time I check obesity is not something that's gonna achieve that. Along with the preselection of certain population sectors by Vaultec.

Finally the few that could made it in to the vaults might not been fat at all: year 2077 in a technological advanced pre-war world I think they already found the perfect obesity cure.

I only miss not being able to make a character based on a supermutant skin.
QuinDINGDONGcey

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:44 pm

No, [censored]'s not getting real... There's still no Bruce Willis.
Rachel Eloise Getoutofmyface

Next

Return to Fallout: New Vegas