Survival Beta next week Merged Similar Topics

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:02 am

Well recieved? Most people I see talking about NV "hardcoe" thought it svcked in vanilla. Steam stats says 4.2% of players completed the game on it. An eating and sleeping simulator is anything but "hardcoe". They probably felt since it wasn't a product of theirs and it actually was (by the numbers) received poorly, it didn't need to be added. Eating, sleeping, slow heal, and ammo weight made you feel like you were in a survival horror game? haha

Irmacuba

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:55 pm

I like I said before it might be something the modders will fiddle with down the line to get it balanced. I enjoyed weighted items, having to eat/drink to stay healthy in-game, and slow healing it added another level of role playing, difficulty, and decision making for me. I would mark places on my map to comeback to because I would make stash points of ammo or health with fast travel disabled or having to traverse wounded across the wasteland trying to find a doctor just things like that. I suppose I'm not a big of fan of simple or easy things then.

Adriana Lenzo

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:30 am

Nice. I've been waiting until it comes out to start a new character. I can't wait to get started on it.

lucile

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:59 pm

All well and good, I just found it ridiculous to say you couldn't be bothered powering up the game for more than 10 minutes. At that point, no amount of tedious micromanaging is going to save it for you. I'd be surprised if mods even fixed something that sounds so broken to you. Hope it does though.

Chloe Botham

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:07 am

Can't speak for him, but for me it was simply timing. We learned of the new survival mode as I was wrapping up one character's story, but I didn't want to start another character until the survival thing was available. There isn't much I want to do with my current high level character ... certainly not waste a DLC on him ... but I don't want to start my new character in 'easy mode'. I want his entire story told under the new survival rules.

Lucky Boy

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:39 pm

The NV hardcoe mode only tells a portion of the story. Two of Skyrims most popular mods are survival mods: RND and Frostfall. Many of the features that are being added, or have been added to Skyrim in the past, seem to have been inspired by the modding community. It really shouldn't come as any surprise that someone in the studio would look at those mods and wonder what they can do to implement them.

Beyond that though, I share the opinion that it should have been there from the start, but not because of hardcoe mode. hardcoe mode was a tacked on feature to NV. Survival mode, IMO, makes more sense here because of design choices that BGS made when developing FO4. For example, the emphasis on settlements. In the base game, the use of approximately 30 settlements in the Commonwealth feels like BGS simply got way too carried away with their basebuilding feature. A lot of people complain that there isn't enough variety to them, and it gets very grindy. However, if you add weight to nonweighted items, like caps, meds, and ammo, those settlements are less of a feature that you can simply skip and an absolute necessity if you don't want to trek across the Commonwealth without fast travel. The foot and water mechanics that settlements provide also make more sense when they actually provide a tangible benefit to you.

Other design features also make me wonder why these changes weren't in there in the first place. For example, if there isn't a functional difference between a sleeping bag, a mattress, and a bed; then why bother introducing all of them? From the perspective of the game's economy, sleeping bags are superior because they require less resources to make and there isn't a true difference. Once you add in the features from hardcoe mode, the progression makes more sense. Sleeping bags are easier to make, but don't provide a "good night's rest". You'll need an actual bed to do that. The same thing is true of the transportation options as well. Without the new survival mode, the vertibird grenades that are provided by three of the four factions are entirely unnecessary. They don't really do anything that couldn't be done a lot quicker just by fast traveling to that location. They make a LOT more sense when fast traveling is removed from the equation.

All in all, I feel that it should have been there from the start because a lot of the ingredients for developing it were already there. That wasn't true of RND or Frostfall, which had to add scripts and resources to make them playable.

Alex [AK]

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:58 pm

Actually, it gets QA'd bu PC players, first. By putting out on Steam beta and the PC in general first, they have time to work the bugs out before they ever hand it over to Microsoft or Sony. Which makes sense, really, because Microsoft and Sony charge them money to push the patch through to you guys.

Tyrone Haywood

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:37 pm

I thought they stopped that practice? But they still require an approval process, which would nix testing it on those platforms.

Anna Watts

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:31 am

I'm ready for the full update.

I have built a Harvest Moon farm house at County Crossing, complete with diary book next to my bed. LOL

Eire Charlotta

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:37 pm

cool, so 2-3 weeks for PS4 maybe

Emzy Baby!

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:26 pm

Assuming Bethesda has QA team, then still have free labor QA team, and still after 2 layers of Quality Control, bugs are still lying around as proven with Automatron DLC, why do we need Early Access/Beta Access anymore at this rate? lol

Just let the QA work until deadline, release it, and enthusiastic players will definitely report the remaining bugs here.

Chloe :)

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:59 am

I'll make a new character and try Survival mode, but most of mine are specced for making caps and building things, so they would all die rapidly. I don't think I'll like it though, it sounds like a lot of housekeeping. I like the exploration and finding interesting things aspect of the game the most. if I could turn off random combat I probably would.

Ran across a toilet with a box of Sugar Bombs and a spoon in it last night. That kind of stuff is why I love Bethesda games, not the endless combat.

Taylor Bakos

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:30 pm

It seems to me there is a lot of threads here that complain that there is a lack of "things to do in the wasteland" or that they aren't getting their 200 or whatever hours out of the game etc etc. Personally this survival overhaul may seem like housekeeping on the surface but to me it remedies what alot of people keep complaing about. You're going to increase your hours invested because you have to manage resources, build settlements to survive, explore paths that might be easier / harder than others as well as search nooks and crannies to find beds, gear ,food etc. So maybe you'll see less complaint threads.. or at the least more people telling those complainers to switch to survival to get the most out of the game.

To me the overhaul isint something I want to rush though to say that i did it... (well I sorta do want the bragging rights) but this makes me slow down and take time to actually plan things out. My 2nd character build and most like final build will be this survival build, or possibly a 3rd one on easy to play devils advocate for traits, skill points and what not for the survival char.

My questions are, how you will be starting the survival mode. is this something you can slap on an already created character like i see some people are assuming, or is this something you have to choose before you even start a new game. What will be included in the patch, if BGS backed tracked on any of their additions or things they might have withheld from us.

Im sure there will be a leak about all the details of it once it hits PC but would there even be a NDA for this kind of thing? I understand DLC but for this I feel like there wouldn't be.

C.L.U.T.C.H

Previous

Return to Fallout 4