Sydneys SMG Vs Xuanlong AR

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:21 pm

OK, on paper, --- it looks like Xuanlong beats Sydney’s in just about all categories, except for a couple, like – magazine size and damage per action point.

But….I find Sydney’s SMG to be a more useful weapon; note, I did not say a “superior” weapon, just more useful.

In close quarters, particularly, when clearing out buildings, waiting in ambush I find SMG’s and Sydney’s to be the best.

When sneaking in a stairwell, when squatting behind a stunted bush, when rushing a room (after “prepping with a ‘nade of course”).

The CAR was my favorite for the longest time. It was a work-horse through many levels. But for all-around usefulness, the SMG, particularly, Sydney’s is the best, all around, (non-energy) small weapons, gun, In The Game!
Monique Cameron

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:05 pm

They're both great to me and each have their advantages, but when it comes down to it, I care about power. I think the Xuanlong wins there, even if Sydney's SMG doesn't take up many Action Points.

I also feel that even though the Xuanlong seems to degrade quite quickly, there are so many CARs around (Super Mutant Masters) that it isn't really a problem, whereas I think the SMGs are quite rare.

Sydney's SMG is amazing for a sidearm, though, but I never use small, sidearm weapons as my primary gun. Not sure why, but I simply prefer something bigger. :shrug:
Damien Mulvenna

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:03 am

They're both great to me and each have their advantages, but when it comes down to it, I care about power. I think the Xuanlong wins there, even if Sydney's SMG doesn't take up many Action Points.

I also feel that even though the Xuanlong seems to degrade quite quickly, there are so many CARs around (Super Mutant Masters) that it isn't really a problem, whereas I think the SMGs are quite rare.

Sydney's SMG is amazing for a sidearm, though, but I never use small, sidearm weapons as my primary gun. Not sure why, but I simply prefer something bigger. :shrug:

What he said.
NAtIVe GOddess

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:27 pm

Yep, I use the SMG (or Sydney's variant) as a:

- General lightweight varmint killer. Better use of 10mm then the silenced pistol or 10mm pistol past level 10.

- Backup piece. Sometimes I run low on 5.56mm. Or the Xuanlong AR / CAR is worn down.

- I can queue up 4 VATS shots using the 10mm SMG instead of only 3 with the CAR/Xuanlong right now.

Initially, I wasn't impressed with the 10mm SMG - but over time I've grown quite fond of it. Couple a 10mm SMG with a CAR and a Combat Shotgun and you have a lightweight set of weapons that can deal with most any situation. I still prefer the 2-handed CAR/Xuanlong over the 1-handed SMG for most mid-long range situations.
SEXY QUEEN

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:33 am

Xuanlong. I've ran through the game a number of different times and since I no longer add the extra games or trigger the Enclave's arrival (until the end of the run) I find both useful, but Xuanlong's AK to be my main, fight all foes weapon. The game sets you up to grab the Xuanlong AK early (maybe even before raiders with SMG's start showing up); so it is a natural choice for busting the graqes of super mutants (Run out of XP before the killshot? Ambush that Brute with a fragmine first!) Trashing the Archives (so you can get Sydney's SMG) is fun, but as a stealth character I like to have both the silent running and robotics expert perk (plus "The Shocker" Power Fist) first so that I can keep Stealing Independence from turning into slugfest (which isn't healthy for stealth characters). That means the Ultra SMG is a late game toy, useful on ghouls and close quarter duals with Talon Mercs, but not a true "gotta have it the inventory" weapon... now if I could put a silencer on an SMG... well, that would be something worth having!
мistrєss

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:13 pm

The SMG's are getting no respect! A varmit killer?! Say it a'int so!

In the past CAR's were my workhorse, but over time, and when carrying both weapons it always seems that the SMG comes out on top (IMHO). Earlier in my playthroughs, I enjoyed wandering the wide-open spaces of the wasteland, but recently I've taken a liking to to stalking the streets of DC. Even though it seemingly appears that CARS are a superior weapons, it "feels" the SMG is more useful. If a mutant survives a sneak attack, it seems the SMG closes the deal with less ammo and heatth loss.

The only thing that may tip the scale is the repair issue. But, with a little planning (my character always carrys a clipboard and pencil), respawning, SMG carrying raiders are plentiful enough.
Liv Staff

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:21 pm

The SMG's are getting no respect! A varmit killer?! Say it a'int so!

In the past CAR's were my workhorse, but over time, and when carrying both weapons it always seems that the SMG comes out on top (IMHO). Earlier in my playthroughs, I enjoyed wandering the wide-open spaces of the wasteland, but recently I've taken a liking to to stalking the streets of DC. Even though it seemingly appears that CARS are a superior weapons, it "feels" the SMG is more useful. If a mutant survives a sneak attack, it seems the SMG closes the deal with less ammo and heatth loss.

The only thing that may tip the scale is the repair issue. But, with a little planning (my character always carrys a clipboard and pencil), respawning, SMG carrying raiders are plentiful enough.

Sydneys smg is better and more usefull to me.
Juliet

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:12 pm

I've used both guns, and like both very much. The SMG would be a good follower gun because it's in prime condition when you get it, and it won't degrade.

Of course, Harkness's awesome Plasma-gun beats 'em both. :P
Taylah Haines

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:19 am

Yep I agree with this.
JUan Martinez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:55 am

I'll third what he said....sums it up perfectly
Naomi Lastname

Return to Fallout 3