Tamriellic Cuisine

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 8:18 am

Something that's always interested me is the unique cuisine in Elder Scrolls. When I say unique that obviously excludes the many meals that use only real-life ingredients, like most meals in Oblivion, Skyrim and ESO.

I only know a few books that give some good information on Tamriellic cuisine, like The Red Kitchen Reader and Redoran Cooking Secrets (Morrowind version). If you know any more, please do tell me about them.

There's also the little in-game mentions that I like:

Neloth likes canis root tea (Dragonborn dialogue)

Stros M'kai exports rum (Fetch quest in Skyrim)

Rat meat is somewhat acceptable when used in a stew with strong spices (Morrowind dialogue)

Anything you can share is appreciated, even if it's the simple stuff that is only mentioned in dialogue, or in books that aren't about cooking.

Naughty not Nice

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 4:20 pm

I remember a bit of fandom saying that Colovian cuisine is basically bland porridge and sadness, but I can't for the life of me know where that comes from.

Ben sutton

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 6:38 pm

If you want to delve into cuisine you should definitely read The Infernal City and Lord of Souls. Lots of descriptions of materials and cooking, even if some of the latest ones are quite exotic and would not be found on Nirn. But they still describe materials and what it could be maybe used for

Umpyre Records

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 11:39 am

Well :

-----

"Bittergreen (a fast-growing slime triggered by rain) is safe and nourishing when boiled, though highly toxic if eaten raw."Tasty-
"Hackle-lo (a hardy succulent edible leafy green) is a reliable year-round vegetable, eaten cooked or raw."

"The most popular sources of protein are kwama eggs and the meat of the domesticated guar. "

"The staple is the saltrice grain, usually eaten as a cooked porridge mixed with scuttle (a cheese-like food from giant domesticated beetles)."

Maria Leon

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion