Terrain texture pop-in.

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:05 am

Hello everyone,

So I have been having an issue lately with my skyrim with terrain texture pop-ins. That is to say, when you are far away from a piece of terrain, it displays a low resolution texture so that your system does not lag trying to load high resolution textures when you are, say, on top of a mountain overlooking the entirety of Skyrim. As you approach that area of terrain, it loads a high resolution texture of that terrain. It should be doing this from a far enough distance that you don't really notice it, and what is happening to me that I refer to as texture "pop-in" is when approaching an area of terrain, it will stay on the low resolution texture until I have already been treading on that terrain for quite some time, then suddenly the high resolution texture will "pop-in" and the terrain will switch from low resilution to high resolution as I am standing on it, all of this regardless of the fact that I am running the game on its highest graphics setting with the HD resolution pack DLC installed. I realize this is a minor bug, but it annoy's the crap out of me since it makes the game look very bad visually and feel very buggy. I've looked around the internet and spoken among several of my friends to find that I am not the only one experiencing similar if not identical pop-in problems. Anybody else have this, and if so, has anyone figured out what we can do to fix it? Does anyone know if perhaps this is on Bethesdas agenda to fix?

Thanks,

Mole
Code Affinity

Post » Thu May 31, 2012 9:44 pm

Are you using a framerate limiter, like DXtory?
Cccurly

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:28 am

This can happen if you're using texture mods or if you've modified uGridsToLoad to a higher value than the default of 5. The graphics engine doesn't seem to be as efficient at managing LOD when graphical demands are pushed beyond the default. Whether this is specifically memory management or something else, I don't know. I've seen the same thing happen with a certain building in Riften when VRAM usage is high (i.e. near the maximum amount of VRAM on the video card).
Kevin Jay

Post » Thu May 31, 2012 9:05 pm

This can happen if you're using texture mods or if you've modified uGridsToLoad to a higher value than the default of 5. The graphics engine doesn't seem to be as efficient at managing LOD when graphical demands are pushed beyond the default. Whether this is specifically memory management or something else, I don't know. I've seen the same thing happen with a certain building in Riften when VRAM usage is high (i.e. near the maximum amount of VRAM on the video card).
I was using a texture mod a little while ago, but didn't like it, so I uninstalled it and verified my game cache on steam. The only mod I'm using now is a hardcoe mod that adds the need to eat drink and sleep, which obviously doesn't have anything to do with textures. The only other modification I've made is setting a different timescale. As I said, I also have the official HD DLC that Bethesda released. But this texture popping thing was happening before I did any of this.
Jaki Birch

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:11 am

Are you using a framerate limiter, like DXtory?
How does a framerate limiter affect how textures are loaded in?
Manuela Ribeiro Pereira

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:28 am

How does a framerate limiter affect how textures are loaded in?

When I used DXtory to limit my fps, LOD would not change until I was on top of it. So for example, the tower west of whiterun wouldn't load properly (low res tex and mesh etc) until I was either at it, or had gone past it.

Exactly what op is describing.

It's to do with timings I imagine.
Krista Belle Davis

Post » Thu May 31, 2012 11:12 pm

When I used DXtory to limit my fps, LOD would not change until I was on top of it. So for example, the tower west of whiterun wouldn't load properly (low res tex and mesh etc) until I was either at it, or had gone past it.

Exactly what op is describing.

It's to do with timings I imagine.
Well regardless of the relation between texture popping and FPS limiters, I do not have an FPS limiter. The only modifications I have on my game, as I said before, is a hardcoe mod that adds the need to eat, drink, and sleep, I have set my timescale to 1, and I have the HD resolution texture pack that Bethesda released as a free DLC. I have a bit of a suspicion that it may have something to do with the official DLC. I'm going to disable it for a while and see if my texture popping stops.

EDIT: Well, the texture popping is still there without the DLC active, but it's certainly not quite as IN YOUR FACE noticeable. Perhaps I've had it all along and just never noticed it until I downloaded the DLC a couple days ago which made it start sticking out like a sore thumb. I don't really know, but I do hope it gets fixed.
Jason Wolf

Post » Thu May 31, 2012 10:41 pm

I have the same thing, couldn't find a fix - but increasing the distance at which objects load in the graphics options menu meant that the textures popped out at a further away distance, so it was less noticeable and annoying. Doesn't seem to affect performance. (Weird stuff went on for a bit after doing this initially though, city structures would dissappear completely until you were very close to them - fixed itself after visiting and revisiting them a few times.)
suzan

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:45 am

Ive had this alot recently aswell, the only mod i have is the bethesda high res pack. The most common thing not loading is grass, but ive had it with npcs, walls objects aswell.
Milad Hajipour

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:29 am

Well guys, I have been playing with the Bethesda High Res pack DLC disabled for a while now and I have to say it has pretty much fixed my terrain pop-in issue. It's still there to some degree, but it's so slight of an issue that once I stopped actively looking for it and paying attention, I stopped noticing it entirely. It's kind of crappy that the high res DLC that was supposed to make the game look better managed to achieve making the game look worse, but at least it was free and we didn't get charged ten bucks for broken garbage. When I installed the High Res DLC I also noticed a missing texture on a particular type of stump too, which can be seen next to the meat stall in Markarth. I never let that bother me though, since I rarely ever see that type of stump and my friends reported the very same missing texture. So I guess I'll be playing without the High Res DLC. Maybe they will fix it someday to where it actually does make the game look better, but I'd rather see them fix the plethora of other issues in the game first, like bugged quests and bugged perks and the like. Functioning gameplay mechanics are more important than my game looking prettier to me.
Claudz

Post » Thu May 31, 2012 9:37 pm

haha yeah ive noticed that stump aswell, good that not using the high res pack fixed it for you so ill give it a try,.
jess hughes

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:22 am

I took off the Highres dlc see too, runs alot better. Thanks
Shianne Donato

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 am

I get this on my system with the DLC texture pack as well....most annoying would be the stone wall moss.
Alada Vaginah

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:36 am

Hello again everyone. OP here to say that I have found a way to run the high res texture DLC without any serious texture pop-in. I downloaded a little program called Game Booster in an attempt to fix a problem with an entirely different game. It's a little program that shuts off uneccesary processes, defrags your ram, and ultimately optmizes your PC for running a game whenever you launch a game or tell it to start boosting. When you exit your game or tell it to stop boosting, it returns your PC to normal operating conditions. I have had this program recommended to me by a couple friends in the past, but I was always skeptical. Then out of desparation involving the issue with my other game, I tried it. Fixed the issue I downloaded it for, and then I thought "I wonder how Skyrim would run with this...?". So I booted up Skyrim with the High Res DLC today while boosting my system and holy crap, no texture pop-in. I suggest you folks having similar issues maybe give it a try. It's free too. You can download it at the following link:

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

Hope this works out for everyone else like it did me. I think I'm in love with this program.
Sweet Blighty

Return to V - Skyrim