Textures not being Recognised

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:05 am

OK, I've been trying to retexture a mesh, something I've done dozens of times before.

But when it comes to reassigning the textures to the new ones, via NIFtexture, the textures don't show up on the model in the CS, despite doing it the way I always used to.

So, I try to assign them using NIFScope. They appear fine on the model in NIFscope, but still, in the CS, they show up blank.

So, do you think this means that NIFScope and NIFtexture are both glitched, or has my CS just stopped working properly? Or am I missing something obvious?
Jack

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:18 am

The paths are important.

Note: all original morrowind nifs use name.ext only for addressing the textures, but most mods use something like textures/[subdir/]name.ext. This is due to a feature in Morrowind resource manager: it loads name.ext, textures/name.ext and textures/subdir/name.ext but NOT subdir/name.ext.

So your texture either needs to be directly inside the Textures folder, or the path needs to start with "Textures".

BTW, if you're using NifSkope 1.0.19 or newer, it should give you a sane path when you select the texture, if you've set up your Texture Folders correctly - mine looks like:

.\.\..\.\..\..\.\..\..\..\.\textures\.\..\textures\.\..\..\textures\.\..\..\..\textures\D:\Games\Morrowind\Data Files\D:\Games\Morrowind\Data Files\Textures\...

etc.
Channing

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:11 am

Thanks, I knew all that , but its good for troubleshooting.

I found out the disparity with my new textures and my old ones. My old ones were in BMP, while my new ones were DDS. Not entirely sure why it would reject them likethat, but still, I can work with it. Gah, I was up all night trying to get this to work.

Thanks for the help. :)

No, wait, now its not recognising textures I edit. Temperamental piece of crap. I'm going to reinstall the CS, see if that has any effect.
lucile

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:28 am

No, wait, now its not recognising textures I edit. Temperamental piece of crap. I'm going to reinstall the CS, see if that has any effect.

It's unlikely that the problem has anything to do with the CS itself.
Like Alphax suggests, don't use a sub-folder in the Texture folder. I've had some textures not work in the CS unless they were directly in Textures.
Miss K

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:33 am

It's unlikely that the problem has anything to do with the CS itself.
Like Alphax suggests, don't use a sub-folder in the Texture folder. I've had some textures not work in the CS unless they were directly in Textures.

I know, I always put them in the main textures folder. I can't work out what it is thats causing it. It seems to be that I can get the CS to recognise textures that already exist in the folder, but when I try to assign one I've edited, it won't show up in the CS.

I thought it was something to do with the file formats, but it seems that it will let me use edited textures where all I've done is changed the hue or brightness, but any real changes and the CS won't recongise it.
Claire Vaux

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:09 am

I know, I always put them in the main textures folder. I can't work out what it is thats causing it. It seems to be that I can get the CS to recognise textures that already exist in the folder, but when I try to assign one I've edited, it won't show up in the CS.

I thought it was something to do with the file formats, but it seems that it will let me use edited textures where all I've done is changed the hue or brightness, but any real changes and the CS won't recongise it.

Do you have the CS open when editing the file, and is the object in the render window? If so, delete the object from the window before hand. Other than that, make sure the image size matches the one you want to replace. E.g. 128x128 should replace the same in most regards.
Michelle Serenity Boss

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:00 am

Do you have the CS open when editing the file, and is the object in the render window? If so, delete the object from the window before hand. Other than that, make sure the image size matches the one you want to replace. E.g. 128x128 should replace the same in most regards.

The CS is closed when I asign the textures, and the images are the same size.
Yung Prince

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:31 pm

Can you upload one of the textures somewhere?
Dj Matty P

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:04 pm

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0E03HS7A It is an alteration of an earlier image, that used to work fine. However, now, it will assign normally in NIFScope, but does not show up in the CS. It is the same with most textures I try. Once edited in Paint.net, they do not work. That's the only common denominator I can see.
Nienna garcia

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:23 am

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4153/ttpgold05cs.png :shrug: And I was about to blame (the now closed-source) Paint.NET, too :P
Hayley Bristow

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:33 pm

I don't know what it could be then. I think I'll go ahead with my plan to reinstall. Thanks for the troubleshooting help.
Robert Jr

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:37 pm

If it shows up white in the editor it is 99% of the time down to the size of the texture mate.

Load it in psp or something and check the size. Especially if you cut it out of another texture and used the size indicator; for inst the size indicator may say 512x512 but when you look at image size it will be 511x511 that would cause a missing texture error.
Amber Ably

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:59 am

I thought I'd report back after this long, just in case anyone else ends up with the same problem.

I'm not entirely sure how, but it seems the whole thing was a problem with Paint.net. Reinstalling it did the trick, perhaps something got corrupted.

Thank you all for your help, now I can finally retexture stuff again.
daniel royle

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:02 am

Not entirely on-topic, but you don't need to put your textures all in the main folder. In fact, for the love of the gods, please don't, mine has so many textures it takes Windows a whole minute just to open the folder.

The trick to making your textures be recognized in sub-folders is the name.
For a texture in Data Files\Textures, you can enter the filename.
For a texture in Data Files\Textures\yourfolder, you have to enter "Textures\yourfolder\filename" as the path. You can't exclude the textures. It's a good idea to not anyway, but for sub-dir textures, you absolutely have to have it. As long as you do, you can put them in subdir (or even nest subdirs) until you hit the file-name length limit.
meghan lock

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:50 am

And I was about to blame (the now closed-source) Paint.NET, too :P

I'm not entirely sure how, but it seems the whole thing was a problem with Paint.net. Reinstalling it did the trick, perhaps something got corrupted.

I was right! :o
Janine Rose

Return to III - Morrowind