The Best of the Worst: Hoaxes

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:41 pm

In the last couple years, I saw numerous hoax ES5 announcements. Not wanting to fan flames, i kept them in the back of my mind. But with the real announcement, I say we go for it. What is the worst/best/etc false trailer or rumor that youd seen before the official announcement? Unfortunately, I cant find a video of mine: it has been lost in the actual announcement ether of youtube. But it was great for two reasons. First, it was a Premium Video..the kind that gets put at top with special colors background. The second is because it took less than 2 seconds for anyone who had played an ES game enough to care to realise it was a hoax:

It started with a view of a globe planet that zooms in. The failure in this was so great, and so funny. Because, of course, Nirn is NOT a spherical body :P thats like breaking one of the earliest established lore peices, that space as is understood in the real world -- and its rules -- dosent exist. That the sphereical bodies were actually the Daedra Princes themselves...Not their realm mind you, but their actual physical self. It was incomprehensible to mortals, and thus they appeard as giant spherical bodies in the void. The version of daedra princes in the games are more like avatars than the true being. Mundus is exactly the same -- infinite in scope, but with its prince dead. It was unique for having two moons: these moons couldnt have phases, but did, since they were being slowly destroyed n.n I really hope in the new game, we can actually see stars through this gap. I know its a minor thing buut..Its such a cool feature that id love to see it.
Oh, by the way, Im a complete and utter lorehound: the kind that collects D&D rulebooks to read, not play. Thats why this drastic departure was so hilariously poor, even moreso as the "premium video" ^_^ the whole thing was absoulutely ridiculous ^_^; What about you all? Any really good hoax stories? ^^ (we'll get to the fake hoax in-game footage videos later.)
xemmybx

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:23 pm

I used to see tons of Rickrolls and scenes from games not even remotely Elder Scrolls, I saw one once claiming to be TES V: Elsweyr and I think it was actually scenes from Two Worlds.
Daddy Cool!

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:13 am

I used to see tons of Rickrolls and scenes from games not even remotely Elder Scrolls, I saw one once claiming to be TES V: Elsweyr and I think it was actually scenes from Two Worlds.

++++
two worlds, ugh *cringes*

got bored with that game after about an hour-+
Ria dell

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:31 am

I think I saw someone disable the HUD in Fallout 3 during the very beggining (the cliff part) of Operation Anchorage and claim that it's TES:V leaked gameplay footage. I was not fooled because I could easily tell it was FO3.
Victoria Vasileva

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:35 am

that ************** youtube video of some guys fighting Minotaur like demon creatures with warhammers etc etc and then some rouge/archer like character jumping in and pwning everything with arrows....omg I knew it wasnt TES5..I mean really who in the right mind would believe any Video online without an announcement from Beth. but it peeved me for 3 mins none the less.
Shae Munro

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:24 pm

++++
two worlds, ugh *cringes*

got bored with that game after about an hour-+

Apparently 2, which is coming to NA in Jan, is no better.
Blessed DIVA

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:36 pm

The planet elder scrolls aprils fools one about The Elder Scrolls V: Summerset Isles being developed by armor games, a portable i-phone game developer, had me fooled for about a week.
I was pissed that Bethesda would hand over the series for butchering rights just like that.
Of course now I feel like a fool.
meghan lock

Return to V - Skyrim