The Elder Scrolls VI is a long ways off discussion #3.

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:42 pm

So there's been a update. I think one that was missed?

So when Todd Howard said that they are working on it Pete Hines just clarified his comment over the weekend saying that Bethesda Game Studios isn't even working on developing The Elder Scrolls VI at all because of the two other AAA video games that they have that they will be developing first.

Which means they only have it conceptualized in pre-production. As I said many times before I think that Bethesda Game Studios will enter The Elder Scrolls VI into development after they finish developing and releasing for sale Starfield or whatever in 2018.

http://www.pcgamer.com/bethesda-is-not-working-on-the-elder-scrolls-6-just-yet/

Farrah Barry

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:24 am

Please keep in mind that the thread is for discussing when the next TES game might appear.

Ideas and suggestions for gameplay and/or new features in TES are to be kept in the Beyond Skyrim threads: http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1604048-official-beyond-skyrim-tes-vi-83/

Thanks.

Emily abigail Villarreal

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:00 am

Yeah thanks Pluto. I didn't know if I should of made this topic or not, but I just saw this new update from Pete Hines comment like 30 minutes ago.

Jamie Lee

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:27 pm

That's their normal trend, really. 'Working on it' at Bethesda seems to range from actual coding, model design and construction, to concept art and notes. Despite claims that they 'Started' Morrowind right after Daggerfall, and Oblivion right after Morrowind, and Skyrim right after Oblivion, their limited manpower means it's unlikely they did any concerted work towards the product (as opposed to the project) while working on their intervening titles.

Genevieve

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:35 pm

It's safe to assume Pete's comment meant 'full development' rather than pre-production, given what Todd had already said.

Which is still a bummer, but realistically that was already all but confirmed by what they'd said during E3. This just dashes any moonshot that they might've already moved into a kind of semi-full development (say, a half team of 50 staff working on it).

The silver lining is that whatever they're doing next might come out a little sooner as a result (owing to less overlap between it and TES VI), and frankly any BGS game - especially a new IP - is still pretty exciting. That will introduce an announcement-release-DLC period of 12 months or more in which I for one will likely be distracted enough to not think too much about TES VI, a bit like what Fallout 4 did.

Scott

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:47 pm

We'll all be long dead and gone before TES VI ever comes out. If you wait for technology to catch up to what you want than you'll never release a game. I would rather have TES VI with current technology and TES VII with whatever technology they are waiting for.

Heather M

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:08 am

The entirety of Elder Scrolls VI at the moment is possibly some quick concept art scetches and a moveable whiteboard with the words "Next Elder Scrolls, Subtitle ?, suggestions welcome" written at the top with a few other scribbles ending in question marks.

Jessica White

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:54 pm

WOW.

So it's dead, then.

I wish I had been wrong.

Goodbye, ES. You were tremendous fun.

Steve Bates

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:01 am

And where does that notion come from? You're far less likely to be able to actually finish something if you're trying to always be at the forefront of Technology (problems seen with Duke Nukem Forever and Too Human) than if you set a goal and wait for the ability to accomplish it. They've done it once before, in fact, with Morrowind, and it hardly killed the game.

tiffany Royal

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:18 pm

The Elder Scrolls video games as singleplayer only video games are not dead.

The Elder Scrolls VI will be released for sale after it's finished being developed, just not in 2018.

megan gleeson

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:09 am

What? TES is Bethesda's cash cow.
Len swann

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:02 am

Can you believe someone just shot a video of me and put it on youtube???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGSOs2pJEsY&feature=youtu.be&t=1m6s

Channing

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:54 pm

And HL was Steam's cash cow, once upon a time.

Warcraft was Blizzard's cash cow too.

For Hines to actually say "we're not actually working on it" is devastating. It's been FIVE YEARS since the last one.

They're done with ES. We won't see anything but some add-ons for ESO, and clearly that's going to fade as well.

They must have concluded that the strategy of rolling out new FO and ES titles on 5 year schedules was unrealistic for the size of their company and have abandoned that plan. Also, the company is either bored with ES or is having internal management battles where the 'new blood' is pushing the company into fresh directions - not because it's a good idea to abandon ES, but in order to undermine the strength of the 'old guard' and form a new 'wave' of their own creation that they can ride to leadership (internal corporate politics is always destructive in that way.)

Truly a pity.

rebecca moody

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:00 pm

But they've just specifically said that THEY'RE DOING IT?

Kristian Perez

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Valve and Bethesda are not a 1:1 comparison. Yes, HL was Valve's cash cow, but it now has other cash cows like CS:GO and especially Steam. Now Bethesda has plenty of other sources of income as well, like Fallout. But Valve has built a juggernaut through a gaming platform in Steam. Bethesda doesn't have anything like that, and subsequently isn't able to rest on their laurels like Valve can.

Also, the head writer for Half Life, Marc Laidlaw, retired. Such a thing hasn't happened for Elder Scrolls.

Look, man, I'm disappointed that we probably won't be getting TESVI soon either, but your doomsday projection is over the top. Besides, Todd Howard at least told us we are getting it, while Gabe Newell et al. won't even utter a word about Half Life.

CYCO JO-NATE

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:41 pm

"Are you guys going to do an Elder Scrolls VI?"

Todd Howard: "Yes, of course we are. It's something we love."

Kellymarie Heppell

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:00 am

I'm curious if Bethesda may branch out TES into more comics and novels, to help expand the world and lore in between games. A long time ago they did a Redguard comic, and they did do a two-part novel in between Oblivion and Skyrim. Besides helping feed the TES addiction, it could also be used to help set up recurring characters to make for better in-game stories (assuming it's not going to be yet another huge time jump, so that the people we get to know through those stories will be long gone by the time of the game).

Dona BlackHeart

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:54 pm

it is still possible the latest tweet could be a very clever PR spin.. part of public relations is to not say whats being worked on until the time is right, the exact wording of his tweet was "we aren't working on TES6 at the moment".. now, look at the date that was tweeted, notice something? its a saturday, and it is extremely common for those of us who work in an office setting (as most software devs do) to get the weekends off, so even if TES is in development what he said would not be false, because "at the moment" at the time of the tweet is a day most of their staff would have off, meaning they wouldn't have been working on it at that time..

except they have come right out and told us, not long after E3, that "don't worry, TES6 IS a thing thats happening", a point you seem to ignore when brought up (and just go doom saying)

Valve wouldn't make nearly as much from a theoretical HL3 as they do from simple Steam platform royalties.. at this point Valve doesn't need to make games to get money, Beth still does

as for warcraft, it was originally canceled because RTS's were falling out of popularity at the time (while MMOs were rising), after RTS's picked up again and MMOs began falling they decided not to go with it and make more RTS's mainly due to possible continuity issues WoW brought into place with Wrath of the Lich King (a problem that doesn't exist with TESO, considering it taking place during a dragonbreak, an event thats sole purpose is essentially to cancel out continuity issues)..

blizzard said at blizcon the year cataclysm launched IIRC that the reason Warcraft 4 hasn't been made is because their writers weren't confident they could keep the themes recognizable enough from the first 3 because of changes WoW made to the setting.. it wasn't because "ohh, MMO's give us moneyz!", its because the setting has changed to much from Warcraft 3 for it to feel like a warcraft game, which once again is not an issue with ESO.. they didn't want to make an RTS that was "Warcraft in name, but not in spirit"..

Veronica Flores

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:11 am

Amazing plot for a movie! The new wave vs the old guard. Who shall prevail?

Trevor Bostwick

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Twitter: "are those big games gonna take away the focus from es6?"

Pete Hines: "we aren't working on TES6 at the moment"

Twitter: "Because of TESO ?"

Pete Hines: "because they have two other major titles to work on"

Twitter: "Podría ser mentira" (translation: it could be a lie)

Pete Hines: "i'm not lying. i have no reason to lie. just managing expectations and clearing up misconceptions"

Twitter: "Could you give an estimate as to when you think TES 6 will come out?"

Pete Hines: "nope. Years and years."

Twitter: "That's a very long time between two games in a series. Sad."

Pete Hines: "maybe play some more Half-Life 3 while you wait? Too soon?"

Twitter: "when are you going to start work on the elder scrolls 6?

Pete Hines: "when it's time"

Twitter: "why did Todd lie about the development of a new Elder Scrolls sequel? Especially at E3?"

Pete Hines: "he didn't. He was asked if there would be a TES 6 and he said "of course@. And that he knew what that game would be."

quinnnn

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:10 pm

None of that is contradictory to what Todd said.

Danger Mouse

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Oh I know, I was just adding some additional info to the thread, simply because I see a lot of strange things being posted, some of them due to being misinformed, so I thought maybe some direct quotes might help.

adame

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:32 pm

I would not mind this. It needs to be handled with care, since the particular fanbase it would (Well, you would think) appeal to can be...finicky.

I'm legitimately surprised though that people are having this "Oh my god" collective reaction to this though. Being with the series since (technically) Daggerfall, a long wait is basically the norm for this franchise. Slightly longer then normal, sure, but if the collective fandom sits back and waits for up six-four years between games, none of this should really be that surprising.

Claudz

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:03 am

I wonder if its just newer fans that are freaking out because they are not used to the wait.. as i noticed most of those going "ohh no, no more TES games!" have a join date post-skyrim

James Baldwin

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:27 pm

Eh, not my place to judge. True, Skyrim picked up a lot of new fans, but if they're here posting, I'm under the assumption that most of them would know that Bethesda's games tend to be released after a hefty chunk of time. IRL...well, I actually haven't met anyone that seemed terribly bothered by it. At least not openly.

IsAiah AkA figgy

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion