The Imperial Agent

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:25 pm

"Who is that over there in the corner?"
"I don't know her name but someone said she was an Emperial Agent so don't cross her..."

Sure we all bash the stock classes, but this one is excellent even compared to custom builds, given you know how to use Illusion. Playing one is a great roleplay for the main and major questlines. I imagine them having a reputation as ilustrated in the hypothetical npc conversation above, sort of like anyone who happened to be rumored as a CIA agent, aka, legal assassin, or an English 007 type might in our world. These are basically legally sanctioned assassins, like the Argonian Agent you might meet in the DB questline. Who better to serve Martin, assassinate Dremora leaders of the Oblvion invasion, and save the day?

The class is excellent for gameplay as well, provided you get access to spell making early on and use your Command spells. I am playing one right now and she has only increased a handful of points on skills other than Illusion, Marksman, and Sneak, which makes her VERY effective for her level. They are very easy to get good attribute bonuses and plus fives every early level except for Agility which you can still increase every level and get a lot of plus threes.
Armorer and Alchemy as minors that you can work up quickly is a common theme of custom characters anyway, which this class has the potential to do as well.

It is imperative however to get custom Command spells, which are so, so good even with a 4 sec duration and a short Inviso effect added. Just a bit ago she was clearing out the bandit cave outside of Skingrad waiting for her meeting with the Count. She cast her Geas III - Command level 20 inviso 3 secs spell, then went invisible which afforded me the opportunity to sit back and drink some beer while three archers fought each other. Even after 30 secs and casting the spell one time, one archer killed the first one then followed the third as it walked back to its place and killed it, then I one-shot the last one with a sneak shot- great fun.

Anyway, just thought I would praise this stock class for no particular reason, except as a suggestion for all those "What is a good stealth class?" posts.
Everardo Montano

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:48 pm

See? Now that's another character I'm going to have to try. I was toying just last night with the idea of playing another male Breton non-mage, but I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do with him. I've already got enough sneak melee'ers.

And you know.... I just saw a mod the other day that recreates the armor pictured on the Agent in the class menu.......

Now I just need to come up with a character name. :D
Toby Green

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:42 am

See? Now that's another character I'm going to have to try. I was toying just last night with the idea of playing another male Breton non-mage, but I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do with him. I've already got enough sneak melee'ers.

And you know.... I just saw a mod the other day that recreates the armor pictured on the Agent in the class menu.......

A Breton would be good with their high magicka, but a little poor on Agility, but that isn't a big deal if you just increase it every level almost and then pick two others to get easy +5's. I think they actually get a 5 point bonus on Illusion as well which is pretty rare.

Here is a name for ya...... James West.... like the agent in the old TV show "Wild, Wild, West".

Common, who else out there is brave enough to play this stock class?
Rinceoir

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:58 pm

I played one before... it was decent, but I've moved on to different pastures.
Sophie Morrell

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:06 am

A Breton would be good with their high magicka, but a little poor on Agility, but that isn't a big deal if you just increase it every level almost and then pick two others to get easy +5's. I think they actually get a 5 point bonus on Illusion as well which is pretty rare.

Here is a name for ya...... James West.... like the agent in the old TV show "Wild, Wild, West".

Common, who else out there is brave enough to play this stock class?

Oh thanks.... now the Wild, Wild, West theme is stuck in my head.....

I actually started to set this character up last night, but I got sidetracked. I ended up with a really cool, utterly vacuous sort of "surfer dude" looking face, and started pondering a completely non-violent version of the character, though such a character probably couldn't be an Agent. I toyed with a few builds, but couldn't come up with anything I really liked-- I just can't quite bring myself to give this character a metagaming build-- he needs a realistic one to really define the character. So I'll have to either deal with the built-in gimp of playing the character with fast-increasing, non-offensive majors or play him with Kobu's or nGCD or something like that.

Haven't quite figured it out yet.

For the Agent, Breton does end up with some pretty good numbers and I'm sure it would work out well, but I found myself sort of leaning toward Imperial anyway. But I've got a male Imperial going right now who's not that far different. He's a dissipated drunk from a wealthy family fallen on hard times. He refuses to even touch a weapon or armor, so he relies entirely on magic, and almost exclusively illusion and conjuration, so that he can avoid fights, get beasties to do the work for him, or both. The catch, as far as Agent goes (aside from the fact that he's already level 4 with an entirely different build) is that he's far too self-involved to ever lift a finger to help out pretty much anyone else, including the empire.

Bump buuu du du buuu BUMP bu dum
Bump buuu du du bummm bu-du-lump-bump-bumm....
:D
Alexandra Louise Taylor

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:52 pm

Why not, Caius Cosades? Ultimate spymaster. I mean he did kind of spearhead the Nerevar plot.
[Bounty][Ben]

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:07 pm

...And happened to be a skooma addict...
Scarlet Devil

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:58 pm

I played one before... it was decent, but I've moved on to different pastures.

Okay, I am bored so I have to respond to this as probably others who have tried the class might say the same. But really the character goes beyond decent if one gets access to custom command spells. Even at low level Illusion if made properly you can always have a command spell strong to affect any enemy. So if you use that spell on a group and run back a ways they will literally all kill each other down to one. Then you can finish them with bow and/or poisons, or my favorite thing was to run up and say "Long live the Empire" the run off with them behind me til I find something else to cast command on.... those Dremora fall for it every time... Now my girl has Inviso and in combo with command, literally never gets touched, kills anything she wants, and doesn't even use enchantments.

In actuality, any class that has Illusion, when used to its full effect, is an awesome class.
Rachael Williams

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:54 am

No, I think you misunderstood what I meant. I used to have something similar, a custom-class Agent/Nightblade, and I really got into him. But then, I accidentally overrode my save, and have never tried it again.
FLYBOYLEAK

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:26 pm

No, I think you misunderstood what I meant. I used to have something similar, a custom-class Agent/Nightblade, and I really got into him. But then, I accidentally overrode my save, and have never tried it again.

Oh, that is too bad. Having Blade would be a good verision of the character for the occasional situational use, and just for fun as a player.....
Arnold Wet

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:00 am

... In actuality, any class that has Illusion, when used to its full effect, is an awesome class.

I agree with this completely. Baurus asked Buffy if she was an agent. She replied, "Nah, Bowgirl, of course," but it is a good class. Illusion negates the need for Buffy to wear armor or use any weapon besides her bow. We keep it as a minor skill for leveling purposes. :foodndrink:
Avril Louise

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:26 am

I agree with this completely. Baurus asked Buffy if she was an agent. She replied, "Nah, Bowgirl, of course," but it is a good class. Illusion negates the need for Buffy to wear armor or use any weapon besides her bow. We keep it as a minor skill for leveling purposes. :foodndrink:

Right, surely works better as a minor for leveling, but I was just waxing on the prodigious pussiance of this class as a stock class. Mine is only now reaching 20th level after a lot of hours... and she has about 95 Illusion right now.... never had any issues with level scaling anyway, Illusion obviates those problems as well...
Connie Thomas

Return to IV - Oblivion