The Magician

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:43 am

I'm in the process of writing a FanFiction based on OBLIVION so I thought I would post it here. It is still very rough, so I am looking for feedback from all of you guys.

The Magician

"The folks in the mages guild are more self-involved than others. In some part because of the use of magic in Tamriel is regarded with suspicion. Hence, you won't be performing contracts for other people but assisting the guilds research and administration. Like the fighters guild, the mages guild has powerful enemies and your focus will be to beat them back. Joining is simple enough, all you have to do is talk to one of the seven branch leaders." The man in the room stopped speaking and the young boy in front of him nodded.

"Now go on son, you're too young to be interested in this sort of thing, I know your father is one of the scholars here and that you are allowed in the guild but you really shouldn't want to join for yourself yet, you're barely ten years old." The boy nodded and left the Arch-Mage's tower tower, heading back out into the hot sun.

The boy entered the Mystic archives to find his father, wearing his sea green robes and as usual deeply involved in research. The man looked up, "Oh hello there Parn, is something wrong? You seem bored."

Parn continued to approach his father, waiting until he was no more than two feet from him to speak, "How old do I have to be before I join the guild father?"

The elderly Breton looked down at his son, "Well, A few more years at least. You have to be able to complete seven recommendations, one from each guild, and then you have to come back here, preferably alive." Parn giggled, nodded and then turned to leave, his blonde hair swaying.

Parn now made his way across the large yard over to the Lustratorium. "Hello Miss Fanis," Parn greeted the alchemist as he entered her study and shop.

"Well hello there Parn, what brings you here?" Parn shook his head slightly and then he shrugged.

"Not much, I'm just bored, I've read all the books Father says I'll be able to understand, and I've exhausted too much of my energy using the fire spell that Renald taught me to blast anymore dummies."

Miss Fanis laughed, "Well, we'll just have to remedy that now wont we? Since I don't have anything important to do right now, How about I teach you a little bit about Alchemy?"

Parn nodded and went to sit by the older woman. "Let's start simple shall we? What do you know so far about alchemy?" Parn told her what he knew which, by all accounts wasn't much.

Fanis stood and got out an old set of alchemy equipment as well as a few ingredients. "Our world is a beautiful and dangerous place, and for those who stop to pick the flowers and taste the poison berries the rewards are enormous." Miss Fanis placed the equipment on a table with all of the ingredients she had gotten out.

"These two ingredients, the flax seeds and the steel blue entoloma make a simple yet effective potion that will restore your magicka energies." She handed the ingredients to Parn, who looked at them with an interested expression on his face.

"These tools, the mortar and pestle, the alembic, the retort and the, calcinator; Now, by all means you can make a potion with just the mortar and pestle, but the more of the devices you use, and the better you are with your ingredients and equipment, then, the more potent and effective your potions will become."

Parn nodded, this was all fairly straightforward, taking the equipment, Parn, with some help from Fanis, made a weak and imperfect potion to restore magicka, which he drank quickly after it was finished. He felt the magical energies he had depleted while he was practicing with his destruction magicks return, though not completely.

That's cool," Parn said as the potion took effect, "I feel better now." Fanis smiled and then stood.

"Well now Parn, why don't you come back tomorrow and we'll continue with your alchemical studies." With this, she ushered him out so that she could begin on her work.

Parn spent the rest of the day sitting on a bench with some of the guild apprentices, taking notes in his journal, as he often did.

Early the next morning, Parn and his best friend Linia were excitedly going through the market district, "What are you going to get with your money Parn?" she asked him as he passed The Gilded Carafe, the alchemy shop.

He stopped, drawn to the door. "I think I'm going to spend my money here," Parn said as he pushed the door open. She sighed, he always one who spent more time learning than having fun. 'I need to find a new best friend,' she thought to herself as she followed him inside the building. 'Though I have no idea where I'd find a new best friend, I doubt they sell them.'

Linia was also a Breton, though she was two years Parn's senior, she didn't act it. She knew little of magic, as her parents were associated with the fighters' guild and thusly, she was fair with a bow and a dagger at this point in her life. She was twelve and she had bright red hair that Parn said would 'burn him like fire if he dared touch it.' That was the instance where Parn received the first slap from his best friend; his left cheek was pink for hours.

She had a hell of a time explaining that to his grandfather Arch-Mage Traven, and when she was through she was surprised to see the old man laughing heartily. There was something about the Traven family, they were all gifted practitioners of magick, and they all had a love for adventure.

Her family was not so different, talented warriors who loved to travel and loved to get into damned annoying situations.

The Gilded Carafe was a modest place, but Parn loved it, he spent his money on a novice alchemy equipment and a few basic ingredients. She watched him as he took the box from the proprietor, and then made his way to the door.

"Why did you buy that? You've been wanting to buy a sword for ages, so the first time you come through with enough money you buy an alchemy set," Parn giggled, and she sighed, Parn was a basket case among basket cases.

"I bought this because I am learning alchemy at the university. In a few years I'm going to travel Cyrodiil so that I can join the mages guild," he stopped and shifted the large box in his arms so that he could carry it more easily. "Besides, I need to know all I can if I'm going to become the Arch-Mage one day."

Linia burst out laughing and then put her hand to his forehead, "It's amazing that you don't have an extremely high fever. You are ten years old and you sound as though you're in your early twenties. I should know; I have an older brother." The look all of this brought to Parn's face was absolutely priceless.

"Well, I'm going to go buy some arrows, I'll see you later Parn!" Linia dashed off down the street and Parn was left staring after her with a confused expression. 'As long as I live I doubt that I will ever understand that girl. She is a basket case among basket cases.' He turned and began down a different road, toward the university. 'Maybe I should try to get a new best friend, though I have no clue where to find one of those, I wonder if they sell them?'

With this thought in mind, Parn traveled the rest of the way across the city and arrived at the university just in time to eat supper.

-

On a sunny afternoon, three weeks after their last meeting in the market district of the Imperial City, Parn and Linia were walking through the arboretum, enjoying the day. "Parn, why do you keep stopping?" Linia asked him her tone easily betraying that she was annoyed.

"Because," Parn said as he stood up with something green in his hands. "I can use this for practicing alchemy. He put the thing in his pocket and then the two continued on down the street. A few moments later, Parn stopped again, but this time Linia kept walking.

Parn got what he wanted and then followed after her. He turned the corner to follow her, "Sheathe your sword and the girl won't get hurt you legion scum!" A man was holding a dagger to Linia's throat, he was wearing leather armor and he had no helmet, there was a quiver of arrows on his back, and his bow was slung haphazardly over one shoulder. The guard was standing no more than ten feet in front of him, his silver long sword drawn.

The guard put the sword in it's sheathe and then took a step forward, Linia screamed, and Parn saw her blood trickle onto the ground. "Stop there, you're killing her, I have no problem with ending the girl's life, there are plenty of brats in the city for you to Pro?" The man was cut off abruptly, his back had lit up with flames. The man screamed with pain, but another ball of fire hit him and he collapsed, dropped the dagger and Linia. She scooted away from the man who was lying face down in front of her.

The guard rushed forward, and Parn ran up to his friend, a ball of fire still clutched in his hand. "Are you okay?" He asked as he put his hand up and released the fire into the sky. She nodded, "My neck hurts and I think he cut me. Other than that I'm okay."

The guard turned the man over, he was still breathing, "Boy, do you know any healing magick?" Parn shook his head and then helped the still shaky girl to her feet, she pulled away from him and tried to walk on her own, she could, but her knees were shaking.

"Thanks," She breathed to him as they rounded a corner, the legion soldier carrying the unconscious man was just behind them and they were all making their way over to the Legion compound. It was going to be a long day.

"Do you have any idea what could have happened to you, boy?" the legion soldier and his superior were still sharply reprimanding the two Breton children. Linia was glaring off to the side, the wound on her neck healed, and Parn was staring at the floor. Parn swore they'd been in the office getting questioned and yelled at for the past year, but he knew deep down that they hadn't been here long.

"That man could have killed the girl, could've killed you, and how on earth does someone your age know magick well enough to use it in the open?" The legion commander was pacing in front of them, his graying hair waving slightly.

"Well, you see sir, my?my grandfather is Hannibal Traven, the Arch Mage, so I live at the university. It's the only actual spell I know, and I can't use it more than three times without taking a potion to replenish my Magicka." Parn was still staring at the floor, a downcast expression on his face.

He seemed content with the answer, "You, girl, what were you doing, running off down and old alley by yourself?" Linia fixed her eyes on the old soldier.

"I was on my way home, my friend Parn here has become rather obsessed with taking long walks around the city and gathering a pitiful amount of alchemy ingredients so that he can practice. I couldn't take standing around anymore so I was going to go home and practice fighting with Ma or Pa." She averted her eyes again, her red hair flashing dangerously to one side, as if it were lashing out at the old soldier. Parn, his head down was smiling in amusemant, his friend really had a temper. Parn knew as well as anyone that she would become cross and start yelling if this went on too much longer, though, in the hands of the legion, there wasn't much that she could do.

"Well then, why don't you both go home, stay on the main road, and then stay home?" With that, the legion officer ushered them out.
Suzy Santana

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:33 am

I kinda like the kids' perspective on things in your story. Look forward reading more.
Shae Munro

Post » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:52 pm

Magician

-Five Years Later-

The fifteen year old boy sighed heavily as he continued walking along the cobblestone path that led away from the imperial city. The boy was tall, being a Breton, and his eyes were a light, misty blue color. On his back, he carried a large pack, and in his left hand he carried a bulky case, around his waist, fastened to his belt was a steel long sword. He wore simple leather armor and he showed no signs of his advanced magical powers. He looked the part of a lowly traveler, traveling to Chorrol wearing leather armor for protection.

Even Arch-Mage Traven had told him his magical abilities were unusually powerful for his age. He had felt special then, but now, only a few months later, he felt just like any other traveler.

This was it, his first real adventure; today was the day he set out to travel all over Cyrodiil in order to join the mages guild.

Parn looked up the road, trees and rocks, that was it, it was going to be a long day. Hours passed by with nothing notable happening, he stopped quite a few times to collect alchemical ingredients. It was now near sunset and Parn did not see an inn anywhere nearby, he cursed his luck, perhaps traveling to Chorrol for his first recommendation was not such a good idea after all.

Sitting down on a rock that was right by the road, Parn rummaged through his bag until he found hat he was looking for. Taking a bite of the hard bread, Parn stood and looked around, finding some alchemy ingredients that he did not at the present time remember the name of. He put them in his alchemy case and then Lay back on the rock to get some sleep.

The next day went much the same, and Parn found his mind wandering to his best friend and ? though he would never admit it ? crush, Linia. He wondered where she was in Cyrodiil. She had left the Imperial City at the age of fifteen, two years ago, and Parn had been rather lonely since, however, now that he was allowed to travel, he vowed that he would find her and who knows what would happen from there.

He looked behind him, the imperial city was no longer visible, even the White Gold Tower was beyond his sight, in front of him, there were no signs of Chorrol. His traveling was slow and arduous, but he knew that he needed to be physically fit in some respects.

His mind was wandering again when it happened, from his left, a wolf emerged from the bushes and jumped towards him. He looked over just in time to see the creature pounce. He dropped his alchemy case and heard a piece of his equipment shatter. He swore, but charged mystical energy into his hands and released a fireball spell that struck the wolf in the side, lightning it on fire and killing it quickly. He sighed and went to pick up his case of alchemy ingredients and equipment. "I needed that," he muttered to himself as he began walking, he would assess the damage done to his alchemy equipment later, right now what he really needed to focus on was getting to Chorrol. As he walked on, he was unaware of the pair of brown eyes watching him through the trees.

-

Chorrol was a nice city, there was little poverty and most who lived there were wealthy enough to get by. Parn had entered at the south gate, so he had to walk down the main street to the other end of the city to locate the local Mages Guild Hall.

The Mages guild was nice, there was plenty of room for magickal practice within the halls. When the nearest Mage in the guildhall saw him, his look turned to one of rage. "The fighters Guild Hall is next door!"

Parn thought he would die of laughter, the little Bosmer had accused him of being a fighter. "Good sir, I am by no means a competent enough warrior to go into the fighters guild. I am here now as a young mage hoping to join the guild."

The Bosmer looked him over, "You don't look like a spell caster."

Parn sighed, "Would it help if I discarded my current attire and donned my robes?"

The Bosmer nodded, "It might, yes."

Parn nodded and removed his leather armor, leaving him standing in his trousers, he wore no under shirt. His robes were of the same cut and weave as the Arch-Mage's.

The Bosmer looked very surprised when he donned the robes that were usually only worn by the Arch-Mage, "Where did you get those?" the man asked, both accusingly and in awe.

Parn smiled with a hint of superiority, "My grandfather had these made for me as a gift before I left to collect my mages guild recommendations." It was obvious that saying this struck the Bosmer in the right place.

"So, you're Traven's grandson eh? Well, he's mailed us all, says you're better at magick than him for your age. I doubt its true, but, I welcome you to the Chorrol Mages Guild."

Parn could have hit the little elf man for insulting his ability, but he let it slide. Assaulting a superior guild member was not a good way to start his quest. "May I inquire your name, sir?" Parn asked as he looked around the Chorrol guild hall.

"I am called Athragar," responded the Bosmer with a bored look about him. "If you want to receive your recommendation then please speak with Teekeeus." With that, the little elf man left the foyer of the Chorrol guild hall and ascended a flight of stars.

Sighing, Parn entered the main part of the guild hall and set his alchemy case down on a table. Tentatively, he opened it and hesitantly viewed its contents. All of his alchemy equipment was smashed. His choice encounter on the road had cost him hundreds of gold. "Damn," he muttered as he closed the chest and began his search for Teekeeus.

-

Linia was covered in perspiration, her right arm was bleeding, and her steel armor was battered. The situation seemed hopeless. She had gone in with a team of six fighters guild members and now there were only two left. She was crouching behind a pillar with a Redguard by the name of Amal, whose once gleaming chain mail was now also battered.

She had left Chorrol with her fellow fighters earlier the very same day, but now it didn't seem to matter anymore, all that mattered was getting out alive. Their mission had been simple enough, go up to Hrotanda vale kill the bandits that have been causing trouble to the residents of Chorrol and then come back to collect your reward.

The had underestimated these bandits, they were dark beings working alongside the undead, and as a result they were far stronger than anyone had bargained.

Linia tensed, footsteps were approaching, she wasn't sure if they could beat down another couple of bandits. When the bandits came upon Linia and Amal's hiding place, the two fighters jumped out, engaging the bandits. Steel clashed violently, sparks flew and the two fighters engaged in melee combat with the bandits did not notice archer who was preparing to fire.

-

Parn nodded, he understood what he needed to do in order to get his first guild recommendation. He was to go with a few other guild members to a small necromancer hideout and eliminate them. If he came back alive, he would be given his recommendation. He would also be rewarded if any of the other mages reported him doing anything noteworthy. They were off to Hrotanda Vale.

"You okay?" asked an imperial battle mage by the name of Calcius.

"I should be fine, I've never actually run in and attacked a den of necromancers before, though," Parn explained as their squad of six mages moved north out of Chorrol.

"If you aren't at all worried about anything else, then you'll be fine laddie," said Calcius as they moved up the small hill towards the Vale.

-

Amal was dead, the arrow had struck him in the back of the neck, he had died instantly. Linia was limping badly, she was very beat up, but there was no immediate danger. And to make matters worse, she was unarmed. Limping through the Ayleid Ruin, Linia knew she'd met her end, but she wasn't frightened at all, for some reason she was starting to feel a sense of comfort she had not felt in almost three years.

A scream ripped through the Vale and Linia was alert immediately, well as alert as she could be anyway. There were more footsteps now then their had been before, had someone come to help them. She had just about decided that was what was going on when a fireball flew past her, she felt the heat as it flew by. Spell casters weren't going to help a fighters guild member.

Another shout, "Girl, get down."

She looked for the owner of the voice, it was so familiar. The boy who had shouted rushed past her as she dropped to the ground and engaged himself in a magickal battle with three necromancers, he was losing, even she could tell that he was losing, but there was a determination on his face as he battled their dark magicks.

Then more mages rushed by, casting spells of their own, the necromancers were quickly subdued. When the boy was sure they were all dead, he made his way back to Linia. "Girl are you okay. You looked pretty beat up when I-" He cut himself off, his eyes were locked with hers.

"P-Parn?" was all she managed to stutter before she passed out. Parn didn't know whether her wounds had finally gotten to her, or if seeing him again had been too much. Not that he cared. She was safe.

-

Linia awoke, the room was dark, and she was alone. Her head hurt, and her memories of recent events were blurred. She had been doing something for the fighters guild, but there were complications, and, and Parn had come to her rescue. But why? She silently mused to herself as she tried to figure out where she was.

Exiting the room, she found herself in a hallway. Before she could make a decision as to which way to turn a man wearing gray robes approached her and said, "Ah, you're awake."

Linia nodded, "Yes sir, but where am I?"

The High Elf smiled. "Why my dear, you're in the Chapel of Stendarr."

It took Linia a moment to comprehend what the man had said to her, but when it had finally registered she spoke hurriedly. "Who? who brought me here? Sir."

"Please, call me Areldur," the High Elf said before continuing. "A group of mages brought you here, one of then, a young boy, was most concerned with you."

Linia smiled, "That was Parn, then."

"He told me that he wasn't leaving for a couple more days," Areldur said.

Linia nodded. "I'd like to go and visit him before he goes."

"I'm afraid you're not going anywhere. At least not until tomorrow. You took a pretty nasty beating." Areldur's face was calm and his tone fairly indifferent. "Now. Get back to your room and get some sleep." With that, Areldur turned and walked through another door.

With a disgruntled sigh, Linia went back into the small bedchamber and attempted to sleep until morning?

? As dawn arrived, Linia awoke. Her sleep had been restless and full of nightmares of her dead guild mates, dark corridors, and rotting corpses. She rose out of the bed and quietly dressed in the dimly lit room, as she did so, she wondered if she'd see Parn before he left again. That in mind, she dashed out the door, and left the Chapel as quickly as she could.

Outside the chapel, she collided with someone, "Oh dear, I'm terribly sorry, I'm in a rush, I-" she was cut off by a pair of robed arms wrapping around her. It took her a few seconds before she realized that she had ran right into the man she'd been looking for. He was smiling fondly at her, enjoying her embarrassment. Instead of smacking him like she normally would have in such a situation, she hugged him back.

"You didn't leave!" she said happily.

"Leave?" Parn asked as they broke their momentary embrace.

"I was worried you might go off without saying goodbye." Linia was actually crying now, and Parn for the life of him couldn't figure out why. Women really were strange, and no matter how smart he was, he knew that he would never understand them.

"Why would I do that?" Parn asked, exasperated.

"Because, you are always so concerned with the Mage's Guild? I thought you'd want to get on with those ridiculous recommendations before you did anything else." Her voice was shaky, but her tears had ceased and she was smiling fondly at him.

"Linia, I'm not leaving for another couple of weeks. I have completed the necessary task, which by the way was a total disaster, and now I'm staying a while to study under Teekeeus." Parn's voice was reassuring at first, but then it was back to its usual matter of fact tone before he had finished speaking. Typical, really.

"Well," Parn said, continuing, "I'd like to actually sit down and talk to you. I haven't seen you in two years. I missed you."

"I missed you too." Linia admitted, shyly grabbing her left elbow with her right hand and gazing off somewhere.

Before much else could be said, a Bosmer ran up to Parn and demanded that he come with him. With a sigh, Parn nodded, and said to Linia, "I'll see you later," before turning and dashing off with the elf.

Linia leaned against the wall of the chapel and sighed, Parn was just never going to change, and that meant that they would never end up with one another. It hurt her to think about such a thing, but she knew that Parn would always put the guild first, before even her if it came down to it. Running her hands through her long red hair, she felt more tears brimming in her eyes. She knew it now, she loved him, and there was nothing she could do about it.
kelly thomson

Post » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:16 am

The Magician

Athragar and Parn dashed up the busy street, weaving between people on their way to the Chorrol Mage's Guild chapter. As they neared the large tree in the center of the main square, Parn asked, "What is it that you need me for?"

The Bosmer answered from just in front of Parn, "The Fighter's Guild is up to something, and you were the first one into Hrotanda, so you're their prime suspect. I don't know the details, but I think Vilena Donton and Modryn Oreyn blame you for the deaths of their guild brothers."

Parn missed a step, that was ridiculous, he had saved one of them and fought off three necromancers long enough for the rest of the Mage's Guild members to arrive. Now though, it was his fault the members of the Fighter's Guild had died?

When the entered the Guild hall, Teekeeus dashed up to him, "good, you're here, I was starting to worry that they'd gotten to you before we had a chance to sort this out. The Fighter's Guild is blaming us for the deaths of their fellow warriors. They say that we should have protected them from the dangers in Hrotanda. In truth, I did not know the Fighter's Guild had been employed to go through the place until last night?" Teekeeus trailed off.

"So?," Parn said, "what do they want from us, from me?"

Teekeeus sighed before he spoke, "They want to be repaid for their losses."

Parn still did not understand what they wanted, "what does that mean exactly?"

"Well, they want your head in exchange for the lost members of their guild. They're pinning this on you because you're new, and because you were the first one in." Teekeeus looked worried, this was obviously a situation that had never occurred before.

This was bad, but, surely untrue. He had done nothing wrong and there were many who would vouch for him.

"Why is she doing this?" Parn asked, his voice clearly making it known that he was worried.

"Because," a voice said from the doorway, "Vilena has always been one to make rash decisions." Parn wheeled about, standing before him was a Dunmer garbed in iron armor and armed with a vicious looking mace.

"Modryn Oreyn, what are you doing here?" Teekeeus asked, his posture alone made it clear that the Argonian had no love for the dark elf.

"I've come to help the young lad here out of a tough situation," Modryn said flatly, glaring at the Argonian placidly. He turned his attention away from Teekeeus and focused on Parn.

"You're the one, aren't you boy?" Modryn asked.

Parn, who was not able to find his voice, nodded at the Dunmer. He hoped he looked calm, but he knew that his face betrayed his worry of the situation. Modryn looked him up and down before speaking again, "You're awfully young to have gone attacking three necromancers on your own."

Before Parn could say anything, Teekeeus butted in speaking loudly, "Parn has been trained in the ways of magic for years, his grandfather is-"

"Hannibal Traven. Yes, I know who the boy is thank you," Modryn said, cutting the Argonian off.

"Modryn, sir," Parn said, "what is it that Vilena wants done?"

Modryn sighed, "I'm not yet sure what she'll do to you. But Vilana makes bad decisions when she's angry and that means whatever she wants will not be pleasant."

Parn looked at Modryn intently, "could you be a bit more specific please?" The young Breton asked hopefully. Though, he did wonder whether he wanted to hear the specifics or not.

Modryn shook his head, "as I've said. I have no clue what she's planning." He turned to leave, "I'll keep you informed. Try not to do anything stupid." Modryn left in a hurry, the tension between the Dunmer of the Fighter's Guild and the Argonian from the Mage's Guild was incredibly powerful. Parn had a hunch that something had happened between them.

Parn walked over to a chair in the corner of the room and sat down heavily. Why on earth was Vilena Donton mad at him, it was he who had saved the last remaining member of the Fighter's Guild. Why wasn't she thanking him instead?

-

Linia opened to double doors to the Fighter's Guild, inside, the tension in the air was nearly palpable. Vilena Donton was sitting at the large wooden table in the center of the main room, her head was down and she was muttering to herself. As silently as she could, Linia closed the doors; unfortunately, they made a thud as they closed, and Vilena looked up.

When Linia turned around and headed for the stairs, her gaze met Vilena's and she saw the glimmer in the Guild Master's eye. Something was very wrong.

"Ah! Linia!" Vilena said as she rose from her chair. The old woman glided over to Linia and wrapped her hands around her arm. Linia recoiled from the touch, but was unable to break free, the old woman still had strength in her bones.

"Yes, Guild Master?" Linia asked as she was led back to the table and forced to sit.

"I need your help," Vilena said curtly, "w need to put an end to the Mage's Guild. This is the last time they will be allowed to meddle in our affairs!" Her declaration frightened Linia, she was insane. "Linia, we need to take this matter to the Countess, she deals with matters such as this. If we can get her to prosecute that boy who is here on his recommendation quest, then we can remove the Mage's Guild from play."

Linia's eyes widened in shock, Vilena had just asked her to help kill Parn. Little did Vilena know that Linia had been Parn's closest friend for many years. Not only that, but the crush she had harbored for Parn before her departure had come back tenfold. She could not, would not, help this madwoman kill Parn and throw the Mage's Guild into turmoil.

"I'm very sorry Guild Master, but I cannot assist you in this." Linia started to rise, but Vilena grabbed her and thrust her back into the chair.

"You can, and you will!" She roared at the red-haired Breton.

Linia sank back into her chair, and she felt her eyes water slightly. "No," she said. She was scared, very scared, was Vilena completely insane, or did she hold some grudge against the Mage's Guild?

Vilena glared at Linia. "Why not? Does the Mage's Guild hold sway over you, or are you just a coward?"

Linia shook her head. The Mage's Guild had no control over her, and she was not a coward. But Parn, she just couldn't do that to him. She wouldn't do that to him.

"No?" Vilena roared, "Then help me!"

Before Vilena could do anything more, the door to the Guildhall opened and Modryn stepped through the door. The Dunmer looked as if he were deep in thought. He snapped out of his reverie when he saw Vilena standing over Linia. Quickly he strode across the room, "Guild Master, is there something wrong?"

Quickly Vilena stepped away from the circular table, "No Modryn, of course not," she spoke sweetly and quickly. Vilena gazed out the window, her back to the table.

Modryn sighed and shook his head at Vilena's actions. He silently motioned for Linia to go. Linia obliged, she was very eager to be elsewhere. She left the Fighter's Guild through the still open door that Modryn had entered from and dashed out into the street.

The crisp morning air was refreshing, and Linia found herself amidst a small crowd of people who were out attending morning business. It seemed odd to her that everyone could be acting as they always would while her life was getting itself into a nasty tangle. Just what were Vilena's plans? Linia was very eager to get her next assignment and get out of Chorrol. That would mean leaving Parn though, and she really wanted to get reacquainted with him. Just seeing him again made her feel very strange.

-

Parn's brow was covered in sweat. Training under Teekeeus was no easy thing, the Argonian had really caused him to strain his magickal reserves. The fatigue he now felt was incredible, and he'd only been at his task for a half an hour. The spell he had been using was a conjuration spell that allowed him to call forth a powerful undead warrior. He had been practicing summoning it repeatedly until it caused less of a strain on his magick. The more he used a spell, the easier it would be for him to cast it, so it would require less of his energy, and the more he used magick, the bigger his magicka reserves got.

He gave up his futile attempt to summon the skeleton again and sat down heavily on a chair in the corner of the room. While he sat, he allowed his mind to wander to things beyond the realm of magicka. Unfortunately, his thoughts settled on his trifle with the Fighter's Guild. He sat in the corner of the room for a full twenty minutes, contemplating possible outcomes of his situation, most of which were death. Parn shook his head, he couldn't think like that. He would be fine and the whole matter would be resolved peacefully.

As the minutes went by he felt his energy slowly coming back to him. He would gain a lot more by learning how to recuperate magicka faster. If he could do that and expand his magicka reserves, then nobody would be able to best him. He would get right to his training? Immediately after he took a nap and ate a large meal. That in mind, Parn left the training room and staggered up the stairs of the Mage's Guild to find an empty bed in the guests' sleeping quarters.

-

He entered the tavern. The room was loud, the noise made by people enjoying their evenings after work. He cast his gaze about, his brown eyes scanning the room quickly and efficiently. From what he could tell his contact had not yet arrived. With a satisfied smirk, he moved into the room and glided across the floor, through the throng of rowdy people to an empty table that was in plain view of the door. As he sat down he ran a hand through his smooth black hair. Twirling his finger around the end of his tresses he decided that he did indeed need a haircut of some sort. It wasn't a big deal and it would have to wait until later anyway, right now, he had business to attend to.

He surveyed the room closely to make sure there was nothing he had missed, like his contact for example. When he was satisfied that the room was empty of important people and that there was nobody of a significant threat to him, he allowed himself to get more comfortable. A few minutes trickled by, and one of the bar wenches eventually glided over to him with a smile plastered on her face. He gazed at the false expression of joy with trepidation and ordered two mugs of ale, one for himself, and one for his contact.

Now all he had to do was wait, if everything went as planned, his coin-purse would be quite a lot heavier than it was now, and he could add another name to the list of those he had killed under contract. He smiled to himself.
candice keenan

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:26 am

hmm, nice writing. good plot, and the characters develop quickly. a few minor spelling and capitalization errors, but that's expected on a forum^^. keep it up, but make sure you do the romance right, and don't make Vilena too crazy, or Linia too obviously in love. They are nervous, they've been friends for years, they'll be embarassed and each wait for each other to start first^^. Great work, keep writing XD
jessica Villacis

Post » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:59 pm

Parn awoke. It was morning? He had fallen asleep around midday. He sat up, he had slept for far too long. In his rush to get out of bed, he fell and promptly whacked his head against the floor. With a loud groan, he untangled himself from the blankets and put on his robes.

He walked out of the bedroom and went to the dining area barefoot. Teekeeus and Athragar were both sitting at the table, along with a few other people he had not met. He sat down heavily in an empty chair. He stared blankly at the table for a moment, trying to think? and failing. Eventually he grabbed an apple and bit into it pathetically. He chewed slowly before taking another bite.

"Whats wrong with you?" Teekeeus asked, looking at Parns pathetic attempt at eating breakfast. "First you disappear into your room around lunchtime, then you come out here the next morning and you can't even eat breakfast."

Parn looked at Teekeeus. "Sorry." He mumbled quietly. "I'm just a little bit troubled is all." After the incident with Modryn, he had gone into the practice room and blasted everything that he could see. After that he'd tried his hand at enchanting himself with different feather and shield spells. He had used so much of his magicka that it actually hurt to try and cast spells before he had stopped.

"I understand." Teekeeus said. "Having a death mark is not an easy thing to live with."

"D-Death mark!" Parn exclaimed, that was a lot worse than anything he had imagined.

"Yes. Modryn told us that Vilena went so far as to hire a member of the Dark Brotherhood to come after you." The Argonian's voice was strained.

Parn was very pale, he had never felt so worried in his life. And he wasn't simply worried about himself, Linia was in the Fighters' Guild herself, what if something had happened to her? Parn wretched, and dropped the apple.

He rose quickly and dashed up the stairs, putting on his boots and strapping his sword to his belt. It was slightly awkward, walking around in robes and a sword, but he didn't care, he had to make sure Linia wasn't hurt.

He came back down the stairs quickly and ran to the door. He froze as soon as he opened the door. Standing there was Modryn Oreyn, and standing just behind him, was Linia. He leaned against the door and let out a deep breath. Silently he thanked the nine. Linia was safe, and if it was up to him it was going to stay that way.

"Parn, why are you dressed like that?" Linia asked, giggling.

"Wha?" Parn looked down, his belt was on awkwardly and his robes were askew. His sword stuck out from his side oddly, and his boots were on the wrong feet. He blushed violently and turned to go upstairs.

As he marched up the wooden steps he silently cursed himself. He couldn't believe he'd done that in his haste to save Linia? not that he would have gotten very far with his boots on the wrong feet.

-

Linia and Modryn let themselves into the guildhall. Linia was captivated by the elegant wall hangings, and the strange and beautiful stones that were in display cases. All of it was incredibly beautiful and it looked to be extremely valuable. She wished that she could get a closer look at some of them, they were simply marvelous!

She was a little uneasy about being here, Modryn said that there was something of utmost importance that he needed to discuss with both of them. She had no idea what it was, but she assumed that it had something to do with Vilena. Lately the guildmaster had been? strange to say the least, and that worried her a great deal. They settled into chairs and awaited Parn's return. Neither of them spoke, for they knew that the situation was serious and that Parn's life was in serious danger.

Five minutes later Parn trudged down the stairs, his face pink. He silently stepped into the room and sat down in the remaining chair.

As soon as Parn settled himself, Modryn spoke up. "I am going to send Linia on a mission for our guild," the Dark Elf paused, obviously hesitant. "However, the mission is a difficult one, and I am here to hire a certain young mage to protect and escort her." Immediately Parn understood; Modryn was sending them to safety, but this would put him at risk.

"That's too dangerous." Linia said matter of factly.

Modryn shook his head, "I know the risks, but I feel that they are necessary if I am to keep the two of you out of harms way."

"But what about you, what if Vilena finds out about this?" Linia questioned, still uneasy.

"Vilena cannot do more than relieve me of my station within the guild if she wishes to keep the matter quiet. If anything serious happens, then the guards will get involved."

Linia choked back a sob, and Parn could not find the cause of her unease. Modryn was here to help them escape from the power crazed, and very unstable, Vilena Donton. Unless, Parn thought, she is concerned for the punishment Modryn faces when Vilena found out what role he had played in their disappearance.

"You must leave tonight, by the light of the moon. I will keep Vilena busy tonight so you two can escape the city undetected and unscathed."

Parn stood, "I have a great deal of things to prepare if we are going to leave tonight."

"I have to get ready, too." Linia said as she rose from the chair and headed towards the door. Parn watched her rise and go through the door with Modryn before he walked up the stairs to organize his things and. He would also have to talk to Teekeeus about improving his magicka reserves.

When Parn had picked up his things and was once again wearing his traveling clothing, he set out to find the Argonian Chapter Head. Parn found Teekeeus sitting in the library on the second floor. He cleared his throat and Teekeeus looked up from the book he had been pouring over.

"What is it, Parn?" Teekeeus asked, once again focusing on his book.

"I'm leaving the city tonight, I wanted to ask for you help in improving my magicka before I departed."

Teekeeus laughed, it was a rich sound, gentled by age, "it is not something that is improved overnight Parn. To improve your magicka stores and control of your magicka, you must practice diligently each day.

Parn sighed, he had known that he would receive such an answer, but it still disappointed him. He wanted to surpass his grandfather and become head of the Mages' Guild before he was twenty, a goal that was far beyond his reach. "Very well Teekeeus, I hope that I will be able to return someday," with that, Parn turned to leave.

"Parn?"

-

The campfire crackled softly, the chirping of the crickets lulled the weary travelers into a contented sense of security. Parn sat against a rock wit ha book open on his lap. On the other side of the fire was Linia. She stared silently at the blond Breton, wondering if the feelings he had had for her before she left for the guild were still there. If Parn, by some grace of the nine, did return her feelings, then perhaps this farfetched escape from Chorrol was worth something.

Time passed by slowly, and the fire burned steadily lower, and lower. Parn's attention never left the book, and Linia had a growing suspicion that Parn's only love was magick and that he would never have time for her. Tears came unbidden to her eyes and she turned away from the fire, not wanting Parn to see the salty drops of liquid that were trickling down her face. As she felt the first great wave of sorrow and heartbreak hit her, she stood and moved away from the fire and into the safety of the shadows. Out here, she could be alone with her thoughts for a time, and perhaps, come to a conclusion about her feelings for Parn. Yes, she loved him there was no doubt, bus should she pursue him? That was something that she didn't know and could not decide upon. If she did choose to show her feelings, then she would have to be prepared for even more pain than she experienced now. Linia choked back a sob as another wave of tears assaulted her. This was ridiculous, she didn't know what Parn was thinking, why should she feel so defeated already?

Taking deep breaths, she forced herself to calmness. It would get her nowhere to cry about anything. Besides, she was too tired now to make any decisions. After a good night's sleep, she would think more on the matter and decide the best course of action. With a sigh, she forced herself to walk back to the campfire.

Parn was not there. Linia felt her heart freeze. Where was he, how could he have disappeared in such a short span of time? She stood there, uncertain of what to do. Panic gripped her and she felt beads of sweat on her brow.

"Oh, there you are."

Linia turned around, her fiery hair lashing out at the darkness. Parn was standing there with a concerned expression on his face. She looked him up and down, he wasn't hurt, nobody had attacked him.

"You were gone for almost two hours, I was very worried about you. I thought that you might have been attacked, so I went to look for you." Parn's face broke out into a smile and he looked very relieved.

Linia was silent for a long moment, had she really been gone that long? It had only seemed like a few minutes. "No, I'm okay," she said. Her voice seemed as if it were far off, somehow detached from the rest of her. She sat down and pulled out her sleeping pallet. Parn did the same thing on the opposite side of the fire.

Linia lay down and closed her eyes, and before she could have any more second thoughts about her feelings for her childhood friend, drifted off to sleep.

-

The man was nervous, when he had gone to kill the boy he had been unable to locate him, so he had waited for a few hours, thinking that the boy would return to the guildhall and go to bed. He never came, that meant that someone knew about his coming, his mission was compromised, but that didn't mean he could simply give up. No, now he would have to hunt down his target and make the kill.

If his contact found out that he had not made the kill, she would be very upset, and he did not want to cross a woman in a position of such power. He was in a dangerous place, and leaving now would make him seem like a traitor, but if he did not find the boy and kill him then he would be considered a failure. There was only one choice, he would hunt down and kill Parn Traven, no matter the cost.

The man shouldered his bow and climbed out of the window. Silently he lowered himself down and landed in the grass without making any noise. He slinked off into the darkness, if he was to find his quarry then he would have to find out where the boy had gone before sunrise. He knew who to seek out, the mage Carmen Litte. She was very much into gossiping and was known to sell her secrets away at the Gray Mare, the local tavern. She oftentimes spent many hours there at night to tell her secrets to anyone who was willing to pay for them. That's where he would go, he would find out where the boy had disappeared to.
he would go, he would find out where the boy had disappeared to.
Sandeep Khatkar

Post » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:34 pm

Not too bad! But when hes talking to Teekeeus for the last time he says its "A Gal he could hardly hope to reach"
:)Colleenn

Post » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:12 pm

Thank you for making that note. I changed the error.
Kathryn Medows

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion