The Ten Commandments of Fallout

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:07 pm

It's an attempt at Middle English, I suggest you try read it and understand it or try http://www.csun.edu/~sk36711/WWW/Common%20Files/megrammar.pdf and then understand it ;)

Absolutely Fabulous! (and fascinating, too)
Rachel Eloise Getoutofmyface

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:40 am

Actually, it's Middle English. If you typed it in Old English, I think everyone would have a real hard time understanding it and just take it for gibberish.
Example of Old English:

Oooooh! SNAP! :facepalm:

You go girlfriend
Melly Angelic

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:07 am

Thou shalt follow the example of thou predessors. - Aye
Thou shalt smite abomonations that came before thee. - Aye
Thou shalt make decent storys for thy games. - Aye
Thou shalt make good games. - Aye
Thou shalt not passeth through the dreaded valley of copy-pasting. - Aye
Ye shalt not maketh and selleth thine crap. - Nay
Ye shalt maketh sure that ye releaseth things fairly. - Nay
Thou shalt maketh sure to findeth all ye wrongdoing in thy game. - Nay
Thou shalt not ruineth thy game with ye horrible addons. - Aye
Ye shall be sure to treateth all with ye respecteth and fairness. - Aye
Roddy

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:11 pm

• Thou shalt follow the example of thou predessors.
  • Thou shalt smite abomonations that came before thee.
  • Thou shalt make decent storys for thy games.
  • Thou shalt make good games.
  • Thou shalt not passeth through the dreaded valley of copy-pasting.
  • Ye shalt not maketh and selleth thine crap.
  • Ye shalt maketh sure that ye releaseth things fairly.
  • Thou shalt maketh sure to findeth all ye wrongdoing in thy game.
  • Thou shalt not ruineth thy game with ye horrible addons.
  • Ye shall be sure to treateth all with ye respecteth and fairness.

I think i'll have to start a dissident religion as none of these tenets represent the Fallout i worship. ;p

Isn't commandment 1 and commandment 3 contradictory? How can NV follow the example of Fo3 and have a decent story?
Evaa

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:49 am

Very nice, Savage I wish I paid more attention in school to able to read old english.
Any one else certain dialects up to today ( though not so much ) kept in with the pronounciation of certain of these words but not the spelling in england.

Ure ( or oor ) is still in use in places such as Tyneside, or Cumbria.

Well, I can't read Old English without the Modern English translation beside it. It's really really hard otherwise ;P I had a great english teacher that woke this interest in me, I was interested in history before too, but not as much the history of languages.

Old English, like Victorians, is like how Yoda speaks.

Not really. It's more like the grammar that we have in Scandinavia, and in Germany too I expect (I shoulda studied german...)
Examples:
Modern English: "You do not like me"
Middle English: "Thou likest me not"
Yoda English: "Like me you do not"
(Swedish: "Du gillar mig inte", it match Middle English word for word)

Absolutely Fabulous! (and fascinating, too)

Great that people who find these things interesting actually exist in a crowd like this :thumbsup:

Oooooh! SNAP! :facepalm:

You go girlfriend

See my reply to Gabriel's post if you haven't already, then compare the two texts side by side and it'll actually make sense to read ;)
Cagla Cali

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:39 am

See my reply to Gabriel's post if you haven't already, then compare the two texts side by side and it'll actually make sense to read ;)

You've intellectually scarred me for life with that post. :cryvaultboy:
/Feels dumber by the minute.
Danii Brown

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:20 pm

Snip.

Over here there was a TV program some years back where the presenter who spoke Old Yorkshire dialect / Old english.
Went over to sweden and tried to converse using it, somewhat effectively if I remember right.

It just goes to show that language has evolved so much in quite a short time, especially over here in Britain.
I suppose the countless invasions of our shores and countless invasions of others shores helped somewhat with the change in lingo.
Add Me

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:49 am

You've intellectually scarred me for life with that post. :cryvaultboy:
/Feels dumber by the minute.

I bet you have a special interest in something that I know nothing of aswell :P Besides it's nothing a few hours reading on different wikipedia pages can't help, plus a little previous knowledge ;)
Reason I have this interest is that english was influenced alot by Old Norse, you can see it in many words and pronouncation of vowels, even today you'll notice a lot. So you can kinda brag that english evolved partly from our nordic languages, harharhar (dialects I say)
Jade Barnes-Mackey

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:29 am

I think i'll have to start a dissident religion as none of these tenets represent the Fallout i worship. ;p

Isn't commandment 1 and commandment 3 contradictory? How can NV follow the example of Fo3 and have a decent story?

Note that it said smite abomonations that come before ye.

That's what I meant. (along with BoS, that piece of [censored].)
Quick Draw

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:16 am

Old English looks so strange because it was influenced by Germans, Romans, and the mess of Vikings. Also seeing as how England had a thing against France, and vice versa, there are definitely French influences. Take into account the amount of booze everyone was gulping down, you find yourself with a pretty odd language.

Edit: Also, I voted nine because the game was apparently made by drunk teens. It loves to crash.
Damian Parsons

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:09 am

Old English looks so strange because it was influenced by Germans, Romans, and the mess of Vikings. Also seeing as how England had a thing against France, and vice versa, there are definitely French influences. Take into account the amount of booze everyone was gulping down, you find yourself with a pretty odd language.

Edit: Also, I voted nine because the game was apparently made by drunk teens. It loves to crash.

That's when Middle English showed up, after the conquest of the Normans, and they brought french for the upper class to speak ;P
Andrew Perry

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:06 pm

All but the one about the DLC because I can't play Dead Money and we don't know about any future ones.
Emma Pennington

Previous

Return to Fallout: New Vegas