Is there rivalry between Sci-Fi and Fantasy gamers?

Post » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:12 pm

Since I don't dare discuss this due to the aggressive nature of the gaming community in question, I thought I'd ask Bethesda gamers the question instead, in the hopes that they give mature and reasoned answers to this query.

I used to play an mmo based on the Marvel universe.

But because of a growing disatisfaction with magic/fantasy based content in games, I decided to set some rules to keep contact with the fantasy content as limited as possible.

My first rule was to state that any gameplay to do with this theme was offlimits, I would not play it, either via soloplay or in raids.

They seemed to take that well, although it was puzzling to them why I wouldn't raid (I assume mmo grinders don't understand that it's not always about the loot!).

The reason for enacting this rule was that I had experienced it before in another mmo and I never wanted to see fantasy content again after that unpleasant experience,

The second rule was what raised the conflict.

There is a small number of playable characters who were magic based and I specifically said they were never allowed in any party I was a part of.

That's when the fighting started and I just logged out.

Which got me wondering, considering I had just stated that only sci-fi/tech characters were allowed to join my party, are Fantasy players inherently aggressive towards sci-fi fans?

In my first mmo (sci-fi(, about once a month, someone would create a character and then do nothing but tell us how great WoW is and that we all should be playing it.

The players' response was fairly direct, if you like the game so much, stop telling us and go back to playing it.

My response was more to the point, if you come to a sci-fi game and tell us to play a fantasy game, you're targeting the wrong fanbase, go get a reality check and cash it in.

So based on all of the above, is this indicative of a conflict between fantasy and sci-fi gamers?

Are the fantasy players so opposed to sci-fi gamers that whenever a game brings the two groups together, all it does is cause conflict?

Not that I'm assuming sci-fi gamers are any better, but it seems in my experience, the fight is always started by the fantasy side.

Elea Rossi

Post » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:31 pm

You're asking if fantasy players are naturally aggressive towards sci-fi fans when you're the one who's making a big deal over the divide by actively excluding them, or assuming a troll prefers fantasy because they brag about WoW.

Tha King o Geekz

Post » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:34 am

I think the response you received had less to do with sci-fi versus fantasy and more to do with people discussing how much better another game was compared to the game they were playing. Similarly for the other, some people don't take well to groups focused around excluding another. It's all fair by whoever is running a group, but that will be the response from some people when they want more freedom to roleplay.

I think Sci-fi and Fantasy is more about a preference.

I personally enjoy both but feel like most hardcoe sci-fi people I know had a gateway person who introduced them to the genre. This just seems to be the majority I've seen though.

Never quite had that so fantasy was what I enjoyed most for a very long time. :)

Gavin Roberts

Return to Othor Games