Thinking About Going Back to College

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:36 am

Went to my local Community College to ask about some classes I've became interested in. If you're wandering I have an interest in Political Science and Pre Law. Don't know what's pushing me to enter this field but it's better than sitting on my butt watching my life going nowhere.

TWITTER.COM

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:26 am

MMM now normally there would be some lets face it, only semi fun joke that I could muster about Politics or law (Unless you happen to 100 agree with me on all such things..... not likely. Vote 2-caps for free snark as I take your money)

But

Good on you, I hear that edumakation thing is a good thing to have...And apparently its sort of the gift that keeps on giving so you can never have enough.

Mmmph wish I had not missed out, or had the actual discipline to find me some.

This idiot say's do it!!

Baylea Isaacs

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:14 am

Thanks ^_^ . Looking at the list of the classes it should be a breeze for me, most of it is simple general education and even if I'm somehow I'm not able to pursue a political career at least there should be more doors open to me then sitting around doing nothing.

alicia hillier

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:38 am

I wish you the best of luck, its a big commitment going back to school..

I am impressed that a Community College in your area offers political science and pre-law courses to be honest.. they sure don't around here lol

it certainly will open a few doors.. having additional education, even if its not in the field your working in, looks good on a resume.. for example, a guy i used to work with had an additional degree in film making, had nothing to do with PC repair but our employer was still impressed that he sought out additional education..

Facebook me

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:46 am

I'd look at career prospects in those fields before starting going to school for it, particularly look at job availability and pay.

Bloomer

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:46 am

I've heard of worse ways to spend money...
IM NOT EASY

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:24 pm

Your never too old to learn something new.

And it's better than blowing money on hokers and drugs. :)
Latino HeaT

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:01 pm

Exactly. Get a college education, get a better job, then blow your money on hokers and drugs.
Max Van Morrison

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:22 pm

Thanks ^_^.

I have better use for money then blowing it on life ruining junk like that :P ;) .

N3T4

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:38 am

While I applaud you for seeking to improve your career prospects through further education, be sure you have an understanding of how a given degree will actually help you towards whatever career you have in mind. Poli sci degrees generally don't give much of a specific advantage in pursuing careers, aside from just checking the "has a college degree" box that many employers look for. Pre-law is only worthwhile if you actually plan on following up with pursuing an actual legal degree (aiming to either become a paralegal or pass the bar exam and become a lawyer). Additionally, since you're looking at community college they're likely only offering an Associate degree, rather than a full Bachelor degree, which count for significantly less with employers (still better than just a high school diploma, but it's questionable whether they're worth the time and cost). Not saying that you shouldn't look into it, and community college can be a great stepping stone into a full 4-year degree at a state college (letting you take care of a bunch of degree requirements at a much lower price), but just be sure you have a plan in place of what degree you're ultimately going to pursue and how it will actually help you.

Setal Vara

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:57 pm

My friend in poly sci found quick work in phone banking at the capital for the Democratic Party. Now he knows many of the politicians there personally and has many paths for branching out further. Someone even got him to run for a seat in the local congress in his home county. This is with one year of college, and he's going back to school this Fall if he doesn't win, which he actually might.

Yeah. School's the gateway to better paying jobs. Plus, it's fun to make your way in the world and actually see the difference you're making in people's lives. Not to mention your own skillset grows as a result.
Sammykins

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:54 pm

Be carfull dont get tricked into those social classes like "feelings appreciation"a or "hugging ourselves to succes" because there a trap!
Betsy Humpledink

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:56 am

Well done and good luck.

It's a big step, but it's one that could authentically change your life and shift your perspective. I can only speak anecdotally, but returning to further education has made me more confident than I was, more sociable and better able to cope with bouts of depression; returning to education was worth it for the social skills alone.

One of my favorite quotes, one that captures the essence of feeling purposeful is "If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or objects". College aloud me to feel greater than a piece of cosmic driftwood, that I could learn about the world and with enough dedication I could change it on some level. I still suffer from social anxiety, I still travail through dark days but nothing in my brief life has made me feel happier than the reflection that I am knowledgeable in a discipline, that I now have an identifiable skill set and that I can admit to more than being unguided.There's very little that contributes more to your well being than defining who you are.

College is not a magical cure-all; you'll come under academic stresses and it may take a while to bond with others, but you have so much to gain; including a reinvigorated life, a sense of self and a desire to learn about and change the world around you.

--

Sorry if this sounds like total horse[censored]...

Matthew Warren

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:54 pm

Thanks for the support everyone :hugs: .

Vicki Gunn

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:49 am

Those are legit fields to go into. I'd say do it. I've always wanted to get a political science degree as a hobby, and I encourage other people to do the same.

Just remember professors are people like you and me with their own biases and faults, don't take everything they say as indisputable fact, try to be objective as you can when learning and try to look at political issues from all sides and form an opinion yourself.

I know too many people who come out of college and university with the whole "my professor told me to vote this way, etc, etc" crap, and sometimes takes years of real world experience to reverse the brainwashing. luckily it seems you already have real world experience, so you should be okay.

Most schools want to teach you what to think, rather than how to think. And if you can see through that, then you'll be fine.

Just watch out for the safe space, getting rid of free speech bs that's plaguing post secondary institutes.

Good luck!
Syaza Ramali

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:20 am

Being on social media has it's benefits :D .

Sami Blackburn

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:43 am

Define what that drive is.

I'm starting to wonder why some people even go to college at all anymore.

LuCY sCoTT

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:13 am

I've been having thoughts about running for President someday but first I need credentials and start somewhere smaller (like a governor or working a job at my state capitol or something) cause I'm literally a nobody at this point. My other drive is wanting to do something for our vets.

vicki kitterman

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:41 pm

"Drive" was a poor choice of words. I should say a tentative plan. What definitive end goal are you getting out of a community college education on political science? You are investing your time and money on an education with an extremely lofty end goal.

Nick Pryce

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:32 am

Well that's my choice.

Charles Mckinna

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:36 am

No one said it wasn't.

Syaza Ramali

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:57 am

Indeed it is, but I think what Sigma Tauri was getting at was the extent to which you had a plan of how a given degree would actually get you towards your goals. I've known people who got degrees at Ivy League universities (wracking up over $100k worth of debt in the process) only to end up as baristas and the like because they didn't have a clear plan of how they were going to make use of their degrees. A college degree isn't a key that gets you into certain jobs, but rather a tool that can help you get those jobs if used properly, and beyond that it's not just the end degree that matters, but to a great extent what you get out of the process of getting the degree (not just what you learn, but the experiences you accumulate, and the personal connections you make as part of the process). Getting the most out of a degree requires having a plan of what you intend to use it for and get out of it before you even start the process.

Sandeep Khatkar

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:08 am

ANY sort of education certainly is not a waste. Going back to school should pretty much always be considered a "good idea". Try and avoid being a paralegal though, they do all the work, have crappy hours, so-so pay..... Law clerk, on the other hand (legal secretary), good hours, acceptable pay, and work in a nice air conditioned environment. :) (My wife considered doing the paralegal thing after doing the law clerk thing for many years.... after talking to some of the paralegals, she changed her mind..... :) )

Andrew Lang

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:29 pm

Law Clerk huh....might have to check that out after my classes :) .

Marcin Tomkow

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:10 am

Well I ran into a slight snag but nothing I can't handle, I need to pay off my loan from another college (in this case OSU) in order to get my transcript released, so I'll probably start payments around August and if things go alright I should have it payed off in either January or February of next year and that's not too bad, I'll be able to go to OKCCC either in Summer or Fall so all's good ^_^.

Jade Muggeridge

Next

Return to Othor Games