This game messed up my laptop and made it inoperable.

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:05 am

This game/Steam messed up my laptop and made it inoperable, not once, but TWICE. AND all total, it cost me nearly $150 in service repairs and purchase of a recovery disk. I played this game on my laptop, put some hours in. The game overall ran surprisingly smoothly for my unsophisticated graphics card. I booted up the game from a continued save, as I'd done a few times before, and my screen froze. The only thing that was in motion were the different loading screen hint pages, but it wouldn't take me outside of that. I shut down my laptop and wasn't able to boot it up. Despite being computer illiterate, I tried doing it myself using help from different forums, nothing worked.

I took it to the computer repair shop. The guy who worked on it was forced to wipe my hard drive clean. And before that, he was thankfully able to back up some of the critical documents that I wanted. At this point, I had a hunch that it was the game, but wasn't 100% certain and still had some doubts. I thought that a virus or something finally caught up to me from a porm site I navigated or some other site that I'd either intentionally or unintentionally accessed. The guy who worked on my laptop was skeptical that it was because of the game or Steam and he brought up other possibilities as to why it couldn't boot.

Days go by, I picked up my laptop on a Friday and told myself to avoid porm sites or any other unknown/suspect sites. I played the game again, and continued from a continued save that I'd accessed a few times. The very next day on a Saturday night, the game/Steam not only made my laptop inoperable again, but it also froze it at the same exact spot with me booting up the game from a continued save, with the loading hint screen the only thing in motion. I tried booting it again, and again I was unsuccessful. This time I contacted Microsoft (who tried to upsell me on Windows 8.1) and they said it was Asus' problem. I contacted Asus and initially they told me they didn't sell or have recovery disks and then eventually admitted they did, and it would take two weeks to ship.

I took my laptop to get it repaired again. The guy worked on it again for some time and initially couldn't find why it happened and then checked Steam to see if it was incompatible with my laptop. From there is when he found an error and confirmed what I'd already known.

I want to also point out that this same exact problem happened to another person who just recently also left a review. That being said, ignore the negative ratings that this review will accumulate. There are a lot of Fallout [censored]. They're not going to be there for you if you computer breaks down and you're unable to boot it up when you have to turn in a paper the next day or in two days for school or have something critical on file for work. Take caution of this game/Steam messing your computer up. It happened to me, not once-which would've been one time enough, but it happened to me two times and it cost me time, stress, frustration and $150 in the process.

Pants

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:47 pm

A game cannot cause this problem, nor can a program like Steam. It sounds more like either a hardware or driver issue.

If the game caused issues like this there would be a lot, lot more reports. Sounds more like they were telling you anything just to get cash out of you. Also, recovery disks can be done for free using official untiliies and can generally be burned to a disk -legally- on a friends computer, not sure why Asus would charge you.

Odd question, were you using a downloaded DLL to run the game?

Jessica Nash

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:51 am

What is your laptop? What OS are you using? How old is the laptop?

Post a dxdiag: http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1122570-how-to-dxdiag/

It is unlikely Steam or FNV is doing it. Not entirely impossible I supposed. It would have to be a severe stability issue or temperature problem of some kind.

It would be more helpful to post your system. This is very rare occurence. I would be very concerned about overheating the laptop.

jessica robson

Return to Fallout: New Vegas